Bussey

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by gapjumper, Oct 3, 2012.

1. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

Don't know how I have missed these!

Apologies for creating threads for these...I kind of thought they were special and deserved their own threads...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGiPTAmo2Bg"]little about Robert Bussey - YouTube[/ame]

Pardon me, I am English, and so have limited experience of automatic weapons, but isn't that mag back-to-front??

Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  2. kevin g

kevin g Valued Member

It looks like an old Vietnam-era 20 round magazine with a newer, 30 round magazine taped to it "jungle style".

3. hatsie

hatsie Active Member Supporter

I've seen a few of bussey's video's, there nothing if not consistant. Craptastic

Lol to the Bo work.

4. kevin g

kevin g Valued Member

I remember seeing his Panther ads in Black Belt in the late 80's, wishing I could afford those pricey VHS tapes lol. To a 9th grader, nothing looks cooler than a tiger-striped gi with a pair of kama!

Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  5. Nojon

Nojon Tha mo bhàta-foluaimein

Theres no growling in those vids! Those were my favorite parts from the king of combat.

6. gapjumper

Yeah sorry about that.

I also loved the somewhat camp growling.

7. gapjumper

Watching this made me wonder....

Is this what always happens when somebody spends a ridiculously short time in an art, finds the real thing difficult, redesigns it to something they are capable of and so entirely misses the point?

Easier to make up your own twaddle than spend time learning the actual art.

Of course they then choose to market themselves as masters of the actual art.

Sad?

8. kouryuu

kouryuu Kouryuu

They should call it "the way of the septic" lol

9. gapjumper

I'm ok with that....

But not all septics are bad.

Most, but not all!

Hehehe

10. kouryuu

kouryuu Kouryuu

Haha very true, I have some very good septic friends

11. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

amazing video! a true master.

12. bujingodai

bujingodai Retired Supporter

Just an objective question. Have any of you actually trained with Robert Bussey personally? How is his movement in person? Is he an ineffective as you state?

I myself have only seen the videos. The growling is a neat sctick. LOL A little corny unless it is totally genuine. I was not a fan of the camo gi but I have seen others with it on. I think all the videos then were pretty campy. Mainstream included.

13. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

I have not met or trained with the man. He may be the nicest guy in the world and tough as nails to boot. And I'm not trying to jump on any Bussey hating bandwagons here, but I have some serious concerns about his movements in the older footage and what appears to be the newer footage enclosed below. (Particularly the part of the video after the 3:00 min mark where they're doing some strange sparring/practicing their approach drills.)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ezw8zlucH4"]Bussey Combatives: Practice Basics - YouTube[/ame]

Clearly what they are doing in the video I posted is incredibly unorthodox even for the hybrid ninjutsu styles of the world. It doesn't really seem to follow any conventional fighting systems movements. It seems like he took a wide ichimonji no kamae stance and tried to force his students into sparring at all times that way. This is why cross-training is good. I'd rather move like a boxer or a Thai fighter on the set-up than mimic what I saw on that video. And that's speaking as a guy who doesn't care much about adhering to any proper ninjutsu lineages but is solely concerned about safe modern combat efficiency.

14. hatsie

I'd say its more than unorthodox, it's unadvisable and adverse to what I've been taught.
    'Dont move your body, just move your head guys'

His point about retracting the arm is fair enough, but he'd better hope with that defense, that always happens! As they will steam roller him if they commit IMHO .

Like I said pretty much all the clips I've seen show pretty dangerous techniques ( not to the attacker)

Wayne Roy has visited bussey's a few times, stating he preferred training with bussey than going to Japan.

http://www.tesoma.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=7&Itemid=2
    Perhaps they have hosted him in Australia ? And some Australians on here may have trained in person with mr Bussey

Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
  15. Chris Parker

Chris Parker Valued Member

I'm guessing that's a question for me, then... okay.

Yes, Mr Roy and Bob Bussey are friends... have been since the early 80's. And there are reasons that Mr Roy enjoyed his time with Bob in Nebraska so much... but I wouldn't read into it the way you are.

As for Bob coming out to Australia, I'm not aware of that ever having happened... I remember us bringing Charles Daniel out for a series of seminars in the early 90's, but not Bob... although I am aware of a couple that have trained with him in the US (not necessarily associated with us, though). My first stop if looking for someone in Australia who has trained with him (other than Mr Roy, of course), though, wouldn't be our organisation. A while back, there was a branch school of Bob's RBWI organisation that started up in Sydney... unfortunately, it started up a few months before Bob decided to close the organisation permanently, and, as it was still a very new school then, I didn't know who was running it. But you might find one or two still around in Sydney who either were instructors there, or possibly students, who might have some memories (obviously the instructors would have trained with him).

With regards to Bob's methods, to my mind they've been a little hit and miss as an overall approach... mainly as they rely, in a number of cases, on Bob's personality and personal abilities. He's a very driven man, and enjoys pushing himself to an extreme, which is partially his personality, and partially his natural talents. He's quite fast, very fluid, and pretty damn powerful in a lot of what he does... but that can lead to short cuts that don't work without those natural attributes. Personally, I think the above clip is a case of that... Bob's mentality is to not really retreat, and to be ready to move in any overwhelm, which is why he's not advising moving the body back (he'd probably view it as wasted motion, as you just need to move it back in in order to engage the attacker). That said, I don't agree with him, for pretty much the reasons that Darren lists. By only moving the head back, if all the attacker does is a one-two combination, then retreats, you're fine... but if they keep coming in, if you haven't moved the body back, you're going to be trapped and over-run.

16. hatsie

You and any 'veteran' Aussie ninjurs as this was all 'back in the day' and the only training group around (afaik) was headed by wlr.

17. Chris Parker

Chris Parker Valued Member

Well, that'd depend on exactly when you're talking about... but again, I don't know of any time we brought Bob out, or even any time he was in Australia. His RBWI guys did their training with him in the States, from memory.

18. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

(Looks like an old M16A1, not sure if it's real or a prop, but it should have capacity for semi-auto and automatic fire. Nowadays (A2 and newer) they no longer have full auto - just 3 round burst and semi-auto).

But, yeah, good call on the magazine.

For people who tape magazines together, normally they put the curve away from the pistol grip - mainly so it fits easier as a secondary handle. Of course, if you use it as a secondary handle, you may push or pull it to where it interferes with ammo feed. Also, with the magazine release on the left side, you have to flip the magazine with your right, it's easier to do so by flipping forward instead of backwards. It looks funny and isn't practical even for "wanna-be's".

Now, before someone feels bad that I said "wanna-be's", in this case, taping magazines together is something that looks good in movies and for showing off. If you do it in "real life", the first time you hit the ground, you will drive dirt up into the magazine (and maybe even bend/damage it) and that might prevent you from reloading or it might cause the rifle to jam (the M16s are notorious for needing everything clean and right).

19. gapjumper

Comedy gold:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9sNpW6X1Xw"]Robert Bussey on MTV 1989 - YouTube[/ame]

And unlikely to be Robert's fault TBH.

Gold shiny ninja was my favourite.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
  20. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

Oh sweet Jesus. The 90's... The clothes people were wearing were almost as ridiculous as those golden ninja costumes from TV.

I actually thought Bussey looked a whole lot better in that clip. There are a few floating around that really showcase his natural athleticism and make me think I wouldn't wanna offend the guy. I would not pass up an opportunity to sit down for a beer with him and listen to his stories about the crazy that must've come out of the woodwork back in the day and flocked to his doorstep.