Burmese Boxing

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by Anarch, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Anarch

Anarch Valued Member

I'm posting this here because Burmese Boxing, or Myanmar Lethwei, is practically identical to MT but has very few rules (bare knuckles, headbutts allowed, strikes to the back of the head/neck are allowed as well, I believe). Also, there's only breaks during the first 3 rounds (except during certain tournaments) and after the fourth, the fight continues until someone is knocked out enough or has given in. After the third knockout, a fighter is considered 'out', much like baseball. Blood may also only be wiped from the face twice and the third time results in disqualification. If need be, this thread could be updated with vids, news, etc. to bring Burmese Boxing to the community a little more.

Anyways, opinions? How do you feel the Burmese Boxing differes than MT? Other than the obvious lack of certain rules.

Guy in the blue demonstrates some nice headbutts (art of 9 limbs).
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lrk9OzGuso"]Myanmar Lethwei, Soe Lin Oo vs Lone Chow Lay - YouTube[/ame]

2. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

This has been discussed on here before although I haven't had time to look up the thread. I think that the consensus was that although an interesting art it has not done that well in open competition with MT practitioners.

FWIW

LFD

3. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

It does lookmore like a slug match compared to the sharpness of Muay Thai.

One thing interesting is it seems there were a few points where theguy in blue integrated the headbuts with bob and weave. That's something I'd never really considered doing but most of the time his headbutts seem ineffectual at best and at worst seem to end up with him eating some shots.

4. Anarch

Anarch Valued Member

Most of the competition I've seen between MT and BB, under Burmese rules, the Thais tend to lose. Not saying MT is not as good but it's certainly different.

The first thing I noticed was the lack of 'proper technique' when watching BB but the lack of gloves ups the stakes and I'm sure thats a lot to do with the sluggishness.

5. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

You might want to talk to Slip the Jab. I am sure that he has seen both and I believe that when it was last discussed said that the Burmese boxers never get to fight any top class MT guys. The guys they normally fight are not really representative of good MT and might explain why they look comparable.

Just sayin'

LFD

6. Anarch

Anarch Valued Member

True. I think that both styles would be somewhat foreign to one another. A burmese won't perform as well with more rules and gloves. Not what they train for. I don't think they ever use gloves throughout their training. Same for a Thai Boxing. Getting hit with no gloves and hardly any rules changes the game. But I can only say so much. Haven't seen it in person or trained BB, necessarily

7. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

The headbutts baffled me

8. Anarch

Anarch Valued Member

Had to resurrect this thread with this video:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xb78QKbLc9o"]Lethwei-Myanmar Vs Japan) Karate 1 - YouTube[/ame]

Mostly Burmese vs Japanese. Really goes to show that aggression can triumph over technique.

9. shootodog

shootodog restless native

Is bando = lethwei?

Also i don't know why this is in muay.

10. jaggernautico

jaggernautico Valued Member

No bando is not lethwei. Lethwei is the sport bare knuckle fighting , bando does include bando boxing which i guess you could say is like lethwei but they use gloves from the tourney stuff i saw. I think it was developed as a short of development like muay boran to muay thai but i guess it never took off in burma.

11. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

Bama Lethwei represents 2 (The Boar and the Bull) of the 9 animals in Bando - Thaing (Burmese Thaing/ Bando and not Kachin Thaing which has more).

Bando is (sometimes) a different and separate system to Thaing. But they both represent a wider sphere of unarmed and armed combat than Lethwei.

Like 'wider' Muay Thai, Lethwei is a complete system with their own type of 'Major and Minor Tricks (Mae Mai and Luk Mai in Thai).

And like 'wider' Muay, there are a few techniques etc that are banned in the Lethwei ring too.

If you can find authentic teachers definitely learn as much as you can. Lethwei is a tad different in some of the technical executions. It's more like a loose Muay Chiaya in attitude and mindset.

Good Luck

12. Anarch

Anarch Valued Member

And I posted it here because it's practically identical to Muay Kaad Chuek so if there's any interest in this style / sport, it'd most likely be in this forum.

And no, Bando isn't Lethwei. Bando is to Myanmar what Kung Fu is to China... I believe. I could be wrong though.

On a side note, it is very interesting to watch Burmese vs Thai fights. Where Thais excel in precision and technique, Burmese make up for it in aggression (imo)

13. SBK

SBK Banned Banned

This doesn't necessarily make them better fighters nor tougher, ie. with the head butting, strikes to the back of the head, no gloves, etc. It probably just limits the hell out of their career. Burma is a pretty poor country, so I guess you'd have to do whatever for the money and glory, to feed your family.

My last MT Kru has a 250-5 record in Thailand. I thought damn, how the hell did you fight 250 fights and still able to do 1 finger pushups at the age of 61 like this? He then says, that's nothing as his older brother has over 400 fights. And this is not counting the street fights and attacks neither, ie. one time... him vs. 5 guys.. a couple had knives. He got stabbed many times and almost killed most of them. I'm pretty sure he can handle this type of Burmese boxing if this was what Muay Thai evolved into in Thailand....but then, I'm pretty sure he'd have much less than 250 fights though.....maybe 100 if he's lucky...and maybe not as healthy and strong like he is today.

Just like UFC 1-4 where it was legal to soccer kick someone's head on the ground, headbutts, strikes to the back of the head, throat, etc...or even now, it's legal to rain elbows onto someone's head that's press against the mat. Such brutality is not that difficult train and adapt toward....if the fame & money is right.... just then, the careers of MMA fighters wouldn't be where they are today....with some becoming multi-millionaires in a very short period of time (ie. Jon Jones)....which is something almost unheard of as a pro martial artist fighter.

14. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Thats the best record Ive heard of in a Thai SBK,who was your teacher? Burklerk Pinsinchai has the best record I know of, theres prob loads of people with awesome records we just dont hear about them:)

15. jaggernautico

jaggernautico Valued Member

Burmese also have less tourneys so less ops to fight as much. You can fight wherever you want in thailand every day of the week somewhere if you want.

16. SBK

SBK Banned Banned

Sam Prawatsrichai. He said out of the 250 some fights, 115 were pro wins. And he lost 5 times. Not sure if that meant 5 pro losses or 5 losses altogether (out of 250). Sometimes I can't understand his English. Hope he wasn't blowing smoke up our butts.

17. SBK

SBK Banned Banned

There's a gym in my area that trains Burmese boxing. My friend has over 50 fights and a Pro MT/KB fighter. was sparring with them a few times. He was whooping them pretty bad until out of nowhere, a full head butt nailed him. After that he tried to kill that guy with full elbows and knees. Elbows to the head isn't even allowed in our State, let alone headbutts. He just got caught off guard and didn't know the full rules of Burmese Boxing. But still, even in hard sparring, you don't throw full elbows & headbutts to the face. My friend got a serious concussion soon after that....not sure if it was only from there, because this guy spars hard w/o headgear, which is nuts.

18. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Thanks SBK :)