Building my own Laptop?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by AndrewTheAndroid, Apr 17, 2011.

1. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

I thinking about getting a laptop this year so I can do some video editing, but most of them seem quite expensive. So I was wondering if it might be cheaper to just buy a cheap laptop and install the ram, processor and graphics card myself.

2. kowloonboy

kowloonboy Banned Banned

Why don't you get a tower, then you can build it properly and it will be much cheaper.

3. AndrewTheAndroid

A tower won't fit into my suitcase very well. Seeing as I travel a lot, a laptop is my only choice.

4. kowloonboy

kowloonboy Banned Banned

You want to get a cheap laptop and install the ram, processor and graphics card. But from knowledge as someone in the industry. You can upgrade ram, but most laptop will not give you a choice in upgrading your processor.

But you are not on the budget, I will go for a Mac as it is more toward your need.

5. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

I'm fairly sure companies like Dell fix the CPU to the mobo so you should check. I've done a bit of video editing in the past, I upped my laptop's 2GB ram to 4GB and it has a reasonable NVIDIA GPU but don't know if I can upgrade it.

6. AndrewTheAndroid

What program do you use to edit the video? I use Sony Vegas 9 on my old machine and it was slow as heck, I am not sure what the specs are on my old lap top but the thing is at least 5 years old.

7. Princess Haru

I use Abode Premier Pro 2, it's okay but can be quite slow when you add layered effects like ghosting then want to preview in the monitor, e.g. http://youtu.be/2mJtSd-LsHY I have friends that like Vegas (I'm not sure which version they use) for animation and blue screen stuff, I heard it's fairly cheap compared to PP.

8. AndrewTheAndroid

Right now I am looking at some Alienware machines on ebay/craigslist.com. If I can't get a good deal then I am pretty much stuck unless some money falls in my lap.

I am figuring I need at least 6gb ram, but preferably 8gb.

9. Princess Haru

ASUS and MSI are worth a look but either way it's going to cost £1500 for a really good laptop and I'd only spend that if I was working in graphics and video not just a hobby

10. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Most laptops today can handle video editing. But I guess it depends on how complex you want things to get. On most laptops you can't install a new graphics card so far as I know. The discrete graphics solution in my Dell M1330n for example is mounted straight on to the system board. And honestly taking a laptop apart is not for the faint hearted. Too many ultra short fiddly flimsy cables that break just because you dared to breath.

Sadly upgrading a laptop is not like upgrading a desktop. Today you can upgrade your RAM and your hard drive. Anything else is a world of pain if you don't know what you're doing.

11. Haakon

Haakon Valued Member

Look at http://www.newegg.com, much more reliable than Ebay or Craigslist. You can get one with 6gb fairly cheap...if you're willing to sacrifice on the screen.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...deValue=410:44102&PropertyCodeValue=410:46027

12. righty

righty Valued Member

No it's not worth your time even if it is possible.

Laptops are designed to not be very upgradable and a lot of parts can't be replaced at all.

-at least one RAM slot is usually soldered into the motherboard (non removable).
    -Graphics cards are very hard to replace. Presuming you go with a discrete GPU card finding a replacement that will fit within the tight confines of the laptop case and other components is very difficult.
    -What others have said about CPU.

13. AndrewTheAndroid

Ok update:

I am not sure if I want to get an Alienware M14x or a Sager NP8150

The AW has:
    3.0GB DDR3 NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 555M using NVIDIA Optimus™ technology
    8GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1600MHz
    14 inch screen
    $1,549.99

The Sager has:
    AMD Radeon HD 6970M 256bit w/2GB GDDR5
    16GB (4x4GB SODIMMS) DDR3/1333 Dual Channel Memory
    15.6 inch screen
    $1769.28

I am not entirely certain which one is better, though I am leaning towards the Sager despite it's price being $200 high and w/o a OS.

14. Osu,

Please use English, it is the only language acceptable on MAP ! :(

:D:D

Osu!

15. AndrewTheAndroid

I forgot to ask: Is it what parts of Dell laptop can I upgrade after I make the initial purchase?

16. d0ugbug

d0ugbug learning to smile

Why not just get a G4 or G5 (if you cant afford intel) Mac book Pro. Its going to be better than half the budget machines your going to buy anyway, all you need to do it max the ram and your good to go.

17. AndrewTheAndroid

Can you put a link to that? I don't know what a g4/g5 Macbook pro looks like. My google fu is saying Macbook Pro and G5 are two different machines, the G5 being a desktop.

18. righty

righty Valued Member

Yeah the G4 ang G5s became the Mac Pros, which is a big desktop.

On the mac side of things make sure to have a look at the current Macbook pros, which are just called 'macbook pros'.'

Regarding upgrading a laptop it's the same story as building it. You won't be able to upgrade much, maybe the RAM but with those specs the RAM is probably maxed out as it is.

19. AndrewTheAndroid

I am not worried about cpu speed anymore. As long as I can upgrade the RAM, and/or graphics card I'll be happy. I am also looking at getting a M18x, it's more pricey but with an option to upgrade to 32gb of ram, at least it will be future proof.

20. d0ugbug

d0ugbug learning to smile

Its my fault way to early lol! Macbook Pro was when the intel versions came out you need to look for a G5 notebook ill get some links now, whats your budget I may have one here for you. Feel free to PM me

On ebay you can pick up a g4/5 for anything between 90 and 300 quid. Any more and you may as well get a Apple Macbook (1st gen) or 800-900 gets you a 13" entry level macbook pro.

What you planning on using it for (software wise) and if its video editing you looking to run a full suite on it? Audio and then Edit the video etc etc

Last edited: May 14, 2011