BtB's C25k

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Bozza Bostik, May 9, 2013.

1. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Thursday 12/07/2013

C25k Week 5 Session 3

• Brisk 5 minute warm up walk. Then jog for 20 minutes with no walking

Duration: 30 mins
    Distance: Approx. 4.12 km (30:05)

Music: TSOL - Dance With Me

That turned out to better than I expected. I felt crappy all day and didn't want to run. I was supposed to do some capo or FMA in the house and really couldn't get motivated. I finally forced myself out the house and got to the national park where I run around about 10 pm.

I ended up seeing three (possibly) White-tailed deer. One was just a few feet away and I had to skid to a halt. There was a runner in front of me and the deer was in between us, kinda confused about which way to go. It bolted across the path and over a field to it's friend. I tried to get out my phone to take a quick snap, but no chance. Beautiful animal.

I also ran into a mischievious mini-bull terrier on the way back and cut my cool down walk a little short to have a play, so I am not sure of the exact time/distance.

So that's week 5 done and my second proper run. Hurrah! I think I'll run later at night from now on, hope to see more deer. It's still super light.

2. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

It looks like your running is coming along nicely!
    I know exactly what you mean about "one of those days" where you just can't seem to peel yourself off the sofa, but it feels pretty good when you do, as it's not only exercise, but you overcame your momentary problem :) win-win I think.

3. Bozza Bostik

Thanks!

I like running. Obviously there is fitness benefits and it helps your MA, but I would run for the sake of running. I used to mountain bike a bit and I'm a pretty good swimmer, so I've thought about getting into triathlons...but it's such a "big" sport. Really time consuming. I think you have to train each area 2 - 3 times a week, practice your change overs (bricks?), then a bit of strength, flexibility and mobility training...When would I get time to hunt down those old vinyl records on ebay!?

Still, I wouldn't mind getting a road bike and kinda doing the three sports in a week.

I'm on sumer hols at the mo', so it's kinda easy to say..."I could just go tomorrow instead". :) I work better under pressure.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
  4. Bozza Bostik

Thursday 19/07/2013

C25k Week 6 Session 1

• Brisk 5 minute warm up walk. Then jog for 5 minutes; walk for 3 minutes; jog for 8 minutes; walk for 3 minutes; jog for 5 minutes

Duration: 34 mins
    Distance: 4.22 km (33.45)

Music: GG Allin - Brutality and Bloodshed For All. :)

I haven't ran for about a week and I really felt it. I had terrible pain in my calves and ankles. Wasn't a fun run at all.

I'm gonna try some barefoot larking about later while i chuck a frisbee around for the dog. I really need to work on my running technique.

5. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Honestly, I'd just leave earlier. Much easier.

6. Bozza Bostik

Hah! With my OCD?

7. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

There, fixed it for you, now the letters are in the right order :)

8. Bozza Bostik

Let me check that! :)

9. Bozza Bostik

Saturday 20/07/2013

C25k Week 6 Session 2

• Brisk 5 minute warm up walk. Then jog for 10 minutes; walk for 3 minutes; jog for 10 minutes.

Duration: 33 mins
    Distance: 4.58 km (33.08)

Music: Raw Power - Screams From the Gutter.

That was easier today than the last session. Next is a 22 min run, can't wait for that!!

10. Bozza Bostik

Tuesday 23/07/2013

C25k Week 6 Session 3

• Brisk 5 minute warm up walk. Then jog for 22 minutes.

Duration: 32 mins
    Distance: 4.89 km (31.39)

Music: Scor-Zay-Zee - Peace to the Puzzle.

Took a run through the forest this evening. I was away for most of last week and lounged around hardly doing anything. I felt really stiff today and running felt uncomfortable. Think I'll have to do a lot of foam rolling and mobility work tonight.

There's a 10k and half marathon coming up in a couple of months, I'd like to run it, but don't feel ready. I am quite worried about putting out my ankle more than anything. I'll have to research and set some goals for next year.

I'm going to investigate a new place I found for running tomorrow and check out the distance it takes if I run a loop straight from my house.

11. Bozza Bostik

I haven't logged anything for a while now. We were at the summer cottage for the past couple of weeks and any kind of connection to the Wide Wide World of Web just seems to get worse every time we are there.

So today I did the final session of C25k

Tuesday 06/08/2013

C25k Week 6 Session 3

• Brisk 5 minute warm up walk. Then jog for 3 miles (or 30 minutes) .

Duration: 40 mins

Music: Adolescents - Adolescents.

So that's the final run. I did about 4.8 kms, I could have done a lot better but got this annoying pain in my ribs. I was doing about 6:30 mins per km and dropped down to about 8:18 for the last KM. My core is a bit of a weak link and I need to work on that. I did some brutal runs up cross country skiing paths the other day (2 days in a row) and that might have taken it out of me a bit too. A rat ran across my path mear the end of the run and that cheered me up no end :) Great little creatures, I used to have two.

Adolescents. One of my faves. They may not have the same legendary status of bands like Black Flag or the Circle Jerks, but to me this is the definitive So Cal hardcore punk LP. A nod to '77, a little more power and speed, and some surf drum beats. Fantasic stuff. I've seen 'em a whole load of times and they are worth checking out live if you like the punk rock.

What's next? I am getting pretty addicted to this running lark, which always happens. So I am hopefully going to try and train through out the winter and then do some races next year. That's my "short" term goal. I am thinking of doing an ultra in a few years if I run ok next year.

I'll take 2 or 3 days off then probably stick to a few 5 and 3 ks a week. After a few weeks I'll try and crank up the distance so I am running for about 2 hours (or the equivalent to a half marathon) at the weekend, do a couple of shorter runs (3/5 k) in the week, and then some interval training / fartlek / hill sprints etc etc. Maybe add some strength training too.

I blame PASmith for all this. ;)

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  12. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Man you got up to 30 mins much quicker than me.
    Well done you.
    Add in some hillsprints you know you want to. :)

13. Bozza Bostik

Cheers!

After that cross country skiing track I've learnt to love hills (not the snakes I saw though *shudders*). I live on a hill and one of the streets near by is a one way. I am thinking of warming up, running up it, jogging around the block and up again. It's really close to my apartment block, so I can crawl back easy enough.