BtB's C25k

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Bozza Bostik, May 9, 2013.

1. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I did the walk, run, walk thing myself this morning and really enjoyed it. 4.15 miles.

Really easy on the joints and I've had no problems with my back since the run.

I'll definitely do this routine again.

2. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

This is the second time I have done the C25k program, I quite like it. It is a little light but it doesn't aggravate any of my knee or back problems and builds me up slowly. I don't know what the "science" behind it all is.

What are these...miles...you talk of? ;)

The convertor on my fancy iphone says 6.7 km!!!! How long did you run for?

3. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I didn't follow any sort of pattern or programme, I just tried to keep it fairly sensible and I hopefully never took a walk for than 2 - 3 minutes.

I've reset the GPS tracker, so I can't now get the data. I thought it said I was out for nearly 50 minutes.

I'll post the actual times on the next run.

4. Allers

Allers tricking, kicking

5. Bozza Bostik

Ah, ok! I thought you'd done the same routine and was kinda shocked!

Hi Allers!

Yeah, I did that and it worked for me. I was paying a small fortune in physio bills and I dropped it and got ideas from youtube. Rolling my foot on a ball was the best thing for my ankle. I started with a tennis ball then moved on to a baseball. As the guy in the link said, I'd grind my foot on it (after a warm up), which really loosened up my ankle.

I would just drop it on the floor a few times a day and roll my foot around. It's pretty much fixed the problem. It's still not 100% but 99.9 is good enough. :)

6. Bozza Bostik

Saturday 29/06/2013

C25k Week 4 Session 3

• Brisk 5 minute warm up walk. Then jog for 3 minutes; Walk 90 seconds; Jog 5 minutes; Walk 2.5 minutes; Jog 3 minutes; Walk 90 seconds; Jog 5 minutes.

Duration: 31 mins
    Distance: 4.2 (in 31:45) km

Music: The Megaphone State - Home of the Knockout Artist

Chilled out Finnish hip hop with a big soul influence..

I decided to run on the outskirts of the city today. It's quite hilly and takes it out of you a bit more than my usual runs. I should perhaps find something similar in the forest and make sure I do it once a week.

I haven't run for a few days so I am going to do another session of week 4 before I move on to week 5.

Drillz and Skillz.

Capoeira

• Handstands, headstands, cartwheels. Working on control and getting up and down smoothly.

I managed to escape the horrific experience of going to a wedding today (not my own - I'll avoid that too if it ever happens). So I plan to work on the handstands some more, and if the weather stays ok, go for a bit of a hike with the dog.

7. Bozza Bostik

Sunday 30/06/2013

C25k Week 4 Session 4

• Brisk 5 minute warm up walk. Then jog for 3 minutes; Walk 90 seconds; Jog 5 minutes; Walk 2.5 minutes; Jog 3 minutes; Walk 90 seconds; Jog 5 minutes.

Distance: 4.49 km (in 31:51)

Music: Lars Frederiksen and the (something or another that isn't MAP friendly) - Lars Frederiksen and the (something or another that isn't MAP friendly).

Did an extra sesion of week 4. Now on to week 5! Fancy that!

I was supposed to do some carenza tonight, but got stuck eating a pile of junk food and watched Foyle's War. Really need to drop 5+ kg so that's my last cheat day for a while.

8. Bozza Bostik

Wednesday 03/07/2013

C25k Week 5 Session 1

• Brisk 5 minute warm up walk. Then jog for 5 minutes; Walk for 3 minutes; Jog 5 minutes; Walk 3 minutes; jog for 5 minutes

Distance: 4.34 km (in 31:18)

Music: Sheer Terror - Bulldog Edition

Really wasn't in the mood to go today and had to force myself out of the house. It was quite nice though and relatively easy. C25k seems a lot easier this time around than the first time I did it. I think the cardio from FMA and capoeira has kept me in reasonable shape! I'm sure the FMA footwork and ginga have also helped...

I'm really looking forward to finishing the program and adding HIIT work, hill sprints and some serious LSD etc etc.

9. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Clearly, "LSD" means something other than what I'm thinking. :D

10. Bozza Bostik

I'm trying to think of a witty reply...but failing as always.

But I am sick of all these acronyms in MA and traning stuff. I am actually thinking of starting an organisation called Kick the Stupid Acronyms Out of Martial Arts and Other Training Related Activities Now...Or KTSAOOMAAOTRAN for short.

Best I've got I'm afraid!

11. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

For those who run, it means Long Slow Distance (running for a long distance at a very slow pace). At least that's what it means to me when I run. ;)

12. Bozza Bostik

Running just doesn't seem as much fun now! ;)

13. Bozza Bostik

Thursday 04/07/2013

Drillz and Skillz

Eskrima -Pekiti Tirsia Kali - Dirty Dozen

1 minute of each exercise with 15 seconds break to check my notes. I'll hopefully increase the time when I get more familiar with the moves. It's a double stick drill so each exercise was done right then left hand. I am really not sure of the names or how to describe these moves.
    • Reverse angle 1
    • Reverse angle 2
    • Reverse angle 3
    • Reverse angle 4
    • Angle 5 (stab)
    • Twirls - Each hand goes the opposite direction
    • Abaniko to horizontal cut
    • Angle 8
    • Beat the drum - like doing a drum roll, then to right side, back to centre and then left
    • Angle 9
    • Circles - squat and do big circles with your arms/sticks.
    • backhand Jab and vertical cut
    • Abanikos - over the head hitting back
    • Abanikos - outside and inside
    • Abanikos - horizontal to the side
    • Abanikos - horizontal to the back
    Followed by 2 minutes of carenza

• Right hand knife
    • Left hand knife
    • Dual wielding chaos and destruction*

And some kettlebell Swings for the lulz

The Dirty Dozen is quite a nice conditioning drill. Double sticks, so there's also coordination involved. There's footwork, side stepping and using triangles, so you get to practice those too. I wasn't quite sure if i was doing some of the moves right, but I'll get my instructor to check through them next week.

[​IMG]

14. Bozza Bostik

Friday 05/07/2013

C25k Week 5 Session 2

• Brisk 5 minute warm up walk. Then jog for 8 minutes; Walk for 5 minutes; Jog for 8 minutes

Distance: 3.96 km (in 31:24)

Music: Sheer Terror - Bulldog Edition (cd1)

The next session is a 20 minute run, but I can't get to a place with a good running surface for a few days, so I think i'll repeat session 2 tomorrow.

If the weather stays ok, i'll do some capoeira outside later.

15. GoldShifter

GoldShifter The MachineGun Roundhouse

hahaha, I don't think they got it :p

16. Bozza Bostik

Sunday 07/07/2013

C25k Week 5 Session 2 (repeat)

• Brisk 5 minute warm up walk. Then jog for 8 minutes; Walk for 5 minutes; Jog for 8 minutes

Distance: 3.97 km (in 31:29)

Music: The Megaphone State - VLA

Drillz and Skillz.

Capoeira

2 mins with 15 seconds break. All techniques done from ginga, working left them right:

• Simon Squats (for a bit of a warm up - Squat and kick. Named after MAPs own GM :) )
    • Ginga
    • Cocorinha
    • Esquiva
    • Esquiva negative role
    • Negativa to role
    • Au
    • Handstand
    • Queixada
    • Armada
    • Meia lua de frente
    • Meia lua de compasso
    • Bencao
    I was supposed to do the capo last night, but got a splitting headache. I helped my girlfriend with her boxing pad work. So it means I had to do the capo and FMA stuff today.

Eskrima - Terrible Twenty

1 minute of each exercise, 10 seconds rest, water, note checking. All double stick work.
    • Reverse angle 1
    • Reverse angle 2
    • Reverse angle 3
    • Reverse angle 4
    • Angle 5 (stab)
    • Twirls - Each hand goes the opposite direction
    • Abaniko to horizontal cut
    • Angle 8
    • Beat the drum - like doing a drum roll, then to right side, back to centre and then left
    • Angle 9
    • Circles - squat and do big circles with your arms/sticks.
    • backhand Jab and vertical cut
    • Abanikos - over the head hitting back
    • Abanikos - outside and inside
    • Abanikos - to the side
    • Abanikos - to the back
    • Sinawali (122)
    • Sinawali (211)
    • Sinawali w/ abaniko
    • Sinawali w/ fulcrum
    Followed by Lonely Dog's agility ladder drills. 1 minute each drill.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2013
  17. Bozza Bostik

Tuesday 09/07/2013

C25k Week 5 Session 3

• Brisk 5 minute warm up walk. Then jog for 20 minutes with no walking

Duration: 30 mins

Music: Joe Buck - Joe Buck Yourself

FAIL!!!

Damn, I am annoyed. The program has been quite easy and i've had no problems with my ankle, knees or back. I've been really looking forward to doing a straight run without any walks. So today was the day - finally, a straight 20 min run.

I ended up getting a brutal stitch half way through and had to take a break. I'll have to do this session again. :mad::mad::mad:

18. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

You know, at least you skipped a workout for "Foyle's War." Watching Michael Kitchen pretty much validates itself.

19. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Nothing wrong with having to ease off or repeat a session. Different folks progress at different rates. It's much more sensible to listen to your body than try to stick to a programme no matter what, and end up doing some sort of damage to yourself! :)

20. Bozza Bostik

Yeah - I've got enough little problems to add more. It ended up being quite productive though as I found a new route which I liked and bumped into someone from capoeira and we had a chat.