Bruce's approximate punching speed

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by kazgeroth, Jun 14, 2003.

1. Floorismyfriend

Floorismyfriend New Member

Personaly i would love to see brucelee fight a real person.
    Got any good websites?

Sure it can.
    I think they are trying to clone bruce lee in some remote island right now. Then we will see!!!!

2. shuyun3

shuyun3 Shugyosha

what happened to punching speed? oh well. I do have a friend who can punch realy fast and strong using a tight sinawali form (from FMA). It becomes almost like Ranma's fictional Tatsukenshin Ameguriken technique. He by the way punched a hole in the wall when it was done (much to his mom's chagrin) But I do believe timing is more important than speed. But speed is such a gret weapon as well and must not be underestimated

And by the way, its one thing to be inspired by Bruce it's another thing to worship him. Some more years down the line I think JKD would have evolved quite differently (if he stayed alive) from all the research he's been doing.

3. pug32

pug32 Valued Member

For the sake of JKD progression can we please stop posting anything about how fast bruce lee was or if he could compete in MMA

IT IS TEDIOUS SPECULATION

I log on to this forum in the hope that it may pass on someones training experience in the art in either a positive or negative way that will allow us to learn and progress. Have you applied Jun Fan and either won or lost vs another art? Have you trained in another art? If so what did you learn?

In one year of reading i have probably seen five posts that have filled this criteria. Read back through the JKD forum and compare it to others, it falls sadly short of what the concept had hoped for.

Do we all need to spend our time in the FMA and MMA sections for any kind of learning potential?

/rant

4. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Mostly yes, it would seem.

5. Nerevar

Nerevar A son of a mother

Yes, no doubt. Now get back to your JKD Kata work or you'll never make BB!

6. ROokie

ROokie New Member

8 punches in 1 second is simply impossible. He was fast but not that fast.

7. slc

slc Banned Banned

Not only is it not impossible, it's not even fast!

8. hux

hux ya, whatever.

edit

comment removed, this is an oooooold thread.

/edit

9. hux

hux ya, whatever.

I have no idea how I ended up in such an old thread. Sorry for reviving it.

10. Shrukin89

Shrukin89 Valued Member

Bruce has a very quick reaction time, and reflex I would think.
    and 8 punches per second fully extended is pretty fast. It's just like counting as fast as you can outloud from 1-8 and that will take you approximately 1 second or a bit less.

and .12 seconds is fast if you think about it.

Try the reflex test game again to see if you can beat .12 seconds.

11. Rakim

Rakim Valued Member

1 punch took 0.3 seconds, and you think that means 8 in 1 second??? How does that work? Am I missing something here or is your maths needing a touch-up?

12. thejimbo

thejimbo Valued Member

rakim, he said .03 not 0.3. also read the rest of the thread, there are a few explantions on the math. I used to ( when I practiced jeet kun do exclusivly) punch very fast. I only could reach these speeds with a left hand lead, and I did it with ONLY my lead hand(no rear at all, I assume thats what is being discussed). I measured, albeit poorly, at 8 punches in 1 second with only my lead hand, also the punches had to be solid and actually useful other wise whats the point. So after mearsuring this many times I came to the conclusion that my full punching speed, again with one hand, was around 5-6 hits a second. Keep in mind I only counted the times the hits were near full force. So is 8 hits a second fast? yes and no. for someone like me, and most of us for that sake, thats very fast. For someone like lee or other high level practitioners its still pretty fast but I would bet there are people who can get to 12/sec or even higher. Of coarse I am one of those peaple who believe these so called "human limits" or many times only in your mind. and for the guy who said 8/sec isn't even fast I'm calling B.S. on that. I play guitar and most people can't even play that fast with four fingers let alone hit that fast with one arm.

13. Shrukin89

Shrukin89 Valued Member

I guess everybody has to understand him as to not underestimate him. He performed incredible feats with strength, power, and energy. As goes for Jet Li, Jackie Chan, and others. We shouldn't really judge for who is faster, quicker, stronger or better. People have the potential to become better, than they were before and they do focus to become better. (Training the mind to the outer bounds). More like competing against yourself, like an example: "Workout harder today then yesterday." Keep on track of that and eat well. So your body would be able to adjust to the intensity level that you would want to achieve and practice lots of it.

To have a good body you must need a good mind to get a good soul.

Which means that you can set your body, mind, and soul to a level that you truely want to be at.

So tell yourself with your mind to train harder and you will succeed to have a better body and a better soul.