Bruce Lee being added to upcoming UFC Video Game.

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by Combat Sports, Apr 8, 2014.

1. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Frankie Edgar - 5'6", 146lbs
    Tyson Griffin - 5'6" 155lbs
    Sean Sherk - 5'6" 155lbs
    Jose Aldo 5'7" 145lbs

There is a MASSIVE talent pool the same size and weight as Bruce Lee

Also Bruce had ZERO exposure to BJJ - his grappling was Wally Jay and Gene Lebell influenced and he was a little less than adequate at it; grappling was not his cup of tea at all. Machado BJJ didn't exist at the time, as it was almost entirely GJJ style at that point in it's development and none of them had been in the US and Bruce wasn't in Brazil.

Ironically enough Vu was one of the first to introduce BJJ to the US, and as Guro Dan had not heard of it by this point there is no chance in hell Bruce had

When these "facts" you present so vehemnetly are massively wrong - and in fact pretty much fabricated - then a lot of the other stuff you put forth is instantly highly questionable

As for other people going to Bruce, that may be for the same reason he went to other people; to learn what they know

Last edited: May 6, 2014
  2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

He was an instructor.

I have a Karate blackbelt, a Tang Soo Do blackbelt and recently a TKD blackbelt among my students.

They are there specifically to learn my style.

Take a look at this picture.

1497704_10152169642817760_2041489258_n.jpg

With JWT and sampsi are:

Bassai - Karate blackbelt
    Fish of doom - Karate blackbelt
    Sifu Ben - Kung Fu blackbelt
    Me - Teh Ji Han Jeung Dao full instructor and teacher of my own system
    Mushroom - Boxer, Thai Boxer and grappler

What does that say about us?

I admire the way you write about Bruce. I'm a fan and his films are the reason I took up martial arts, but there are only a few who've actually seen Bruce's street fights. Dan Inosanto has them on film as part of his personal collection. They'll never be made public.

3. Fujian Animal

Fujian Animal Banned Banned

my source of bjj information on bruce lee comes from sifu donald parker, of paul vunak's jkd lineage, and although its pretty well known that bruce lee sucked at grappling, he was still very fond of jujutsu and of all the grappling styles in the world, he spent more time exploring judo and jujutsu than he did any other grappling art, including lebell's wrestling

4. Simon

But that's not what you originally said, is it?

5. Hannibal

But he NEVER had MJJ exposure AT ALL

NEVER

EVER

If that is what you are being told you are being lied to, so i think you may have misunderstood. Bruce had ZERO BJJ exposure

His grappling training was with Gene, Wally and Hayward. He was exploring more grappling prior to his passing too, but was low level when he died

6. Hannibal

To reiterate what you put -

7. Hannibal

You also made this statement, which I contend is patently false too

Especially when you put in context of this quote from Patrick Strong

Emphasis in italics is mine

source: http://www.jkdnorway.com/artikler/Patrick_Strong_intervj.pdf

8. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

I think too many people talk about Bruce Lee as if they were there with him when he trained and fought. It's ok to be a fan but try to be realistic. He was just a martial artist who could fight, like many other men who dedicate their lives to martial arts today.

9. Hannibal

Bruce became the greatest fighter in the world without ever becoming the greatest fighter in the world - this is almost entirely because of his films and his death

10. Fujian Animal

context is important

adding bjj techniques to bruce's jkd style, isn't the same as adding bjj to the jkd philosophy

11. Hannibal

Sorry but you will have to explain because that last sentence makes little to no sense within the specific context being discussed

HOW could Bruce Lee have had exposure to a student of MJJ? Explain your reasoning for that first before I tell why it is a blatant falsehood

12. Fujian Animal

bruce lee's philosophy is borderline perfect, his mentality far surpassed his physical state of being, which was still limited by his personal exposure and experience, so what i mean by that is that bruce's jkd philosophy already has a place for bjj, but bruce's own personal jkd physical style was limited..... or not limited, but still growing when he died

13. Hannibal

Ok I would by and large agree with that, but it still doesn't explain the statement you made about MJJ - care to retract it or revisit what you stated?

14. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

"Who could have fought Bruce Lee in the UFC?"

Every fighter in the 145lb weight category.

15. Fujian Animal

if its untrue, then i will retract it

i gave you my source, and thats the best i can do

if its not true then i apologise

16. Fujian Animal

i have been around the martial arts planet for quite some time, and i dont mean this forum, i mean the real-life MA world, as have many of you, so you know what its like to move around from state to state, country to country, meet many people, to learn and hear and see many things, to juggle your personal life with your family, your job, your MA hobby or career

i dont always have time to check my sources, im just too darn busy, which is why i generally try to keep it simple by posting opinions and not facts, because sources often contradict one another in our world, its like a bad exposure film by michael moore, martial arts are very political, so i try my best to just stay out of it and keep training, keep learning and keep growing

and to be honest with you, i dont really care who says what, or what when how, nor do i care to explain jkd, or listen to what others have to say about it, the truth is that if its not really important information thats going to help me personally as a martial artist, then i really just dont care, i mean i will post a thing or two just to pass the time, and maybe try to help a friend in need if i can, but really this is just a social network for me and when it comes right down to it, training is more important than researching

17. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Hannibal? Is it true Bruce Lee was considered master level in WC? Because all I have heard is that he did not study long with Ip Man.

I am not questioning his skill overall. Just his specific level of mastery in WC. Some illumination from a reliabel source like you would be helpful.

Sorry Fujian, but you say so many other inaccurate things- like the stuff abut BJJ- and you say you are to busy to check your sources, so I don't find your statements reliable.

18. Simon

So your other thread trying to clarify what JKD is, is just your opinion, not based on fact and with no real explanation of JKD (a question you've avoided).

Here you've just repeated what others have told you, a rumour if you will.

You don't care who says what (your words), but feel strong enough tell us what you believe to be factual.

I'm sure (correct me if I'm wrong) you've said on MAP that you've trained with 4 of Bruce's students.
    Was this long term, or at seminar level?

19. Hannibal

He was never given the full system so the chances of him being classed as a "Master" are zero; however the bit he DID know he performed very well.

In my opinion he filled a lot of the "gaps" in himself which led to the JKD journey away from the dogmatism of the system. Wong Shun Leung himself rated Bruce's skill very highly, which demonstartes that bruce was certainly capable within the system

20. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

I heard that Bruce Lee once crushed a paper cup using only the power of his spleen.