Bruce Lee Article

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by waya, Aug 2, 2003.

1. Cain

Cain New Member

Could the similar one be Bruce not being in the same league as chuck? ;)

|Cain|

2. KiWarrior

KiWarrior Banned Banned

Dude don't you know? Bruce is like totally the best! He could beat Musashi and Couture at the same time! He is like totally my idol and I want to be him when I grow up!

Do you think my pasty pimply face and the fact that I spend 7 hours a day in online forums will help me reach that goal?

3. KiWarrior

KiWarrior Banned Banned

Ving Tsun, you still haven't addressed these comments which have been made several times. Your argument is simple and may be valid depending on your answer.

4. Tireces

Tireces New Member

Perhaps some would do better to stop and realize that no one here deifies bruce lee, and instead realize that they are simply taking things to the opposite extreme.

5. Greg-VT

Greg-VT Peasant

What is it that you really want out of this thread, KiWarrior?

6. CFT

CFT Valued Member

So he only had average leg strength, but was able to kick someone so hard it was like "being hit by a truck"?

Quote from: "Bruce Lee - A Warriors Journey".

Statistics can't wholly gauge how effective a fighter someone is.

7. KiWarrior

KiWarrior Banned Banned

The sole point I'm trying to make is everyone is trying to refute this guy's points through anecdotal accounts ("Kicks like a truck"). This guy actual used real information and looked at it critically. He may not have been using the best information but unless someone has better data to provide you can not fault him for that. He may have also overextended his conclusions but that is a different issue.

Unless you have actual numbers reporting his performance on strength excercises you CANNOT refute this guys results. Period.

A perfect example of the problem as I see it is this:
    This totally misses the point, he never used conditioning data to determine fighting effectiveness, he used that data to look at the anecdotal accounts of Lee being this uber-conditioned athlete. Additionally a lot more than just leg strength goes into a kick and also it is an irrelevant point because I know tons of people I'd say kick like trucks, it is a meaningless statement.

You mention logic, logically compare the weight of actual data and anecdotal accounts.

8. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

LOL .... I don't know, why don't you tell us!
    KiWarrior, do you know you are averaging 13 posts a day here on Martial Arts Planet (only).... and you joined less than a week ago!
    He's addicted!

9. KiWarrior

KiWarrior Banned Banned

Multi-tasking.

I do hope the sarcasm and mocking in the quoted post wasn't misinterperted. I ask because of your question KickChick.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2004
  10. HayabusaZero

HayabusaZero New Member

a likely story :D

11. TigerGrishkin

TigerGrishkin Banned Banned

2 miles in fifteen minutes?! Whoa. That's almost bad enough to flunk the US army APFT.

I think the point here is just this:

What do we really know? Based off the available self-reported numbers, the author attempts to evaluate Bruce's strength. And he doesn't look too good. I mean, okay so maybe he just started weight-training. He's squatting at less than his body weight! That's not just starting out. We can't refute the article by referring to anecdotes in Bruce Lee books.

12. KiWarrior

KiWarrior Banned Banned

I feel like an autistic kid banging his head into a wall for the number of times I've said that.

I need a new helmet.

13. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

... that and a smilie[​IMG]

I'm quite aware of sarcasm KiW btw ... ;)

Last edited: Jan 28, 2004
  14. totality

totality New Member

kiwarrior, may i also recommend a hobby? personally, i thought the article is crap. didn't yoda just start another thread on this? hmm...maybe i'm losing my mind. so lee didn't know too much about weightlifting. not really his fault. i'm sure if he'd lived longer he may have had a better chance of appeasing you, kiwarrior. unfortunate for him that he died before being able to live up to your expectations.

15. Greg-VT

Greg-VT Peasant

No, that IS the issue.

16. KiWarrior

KiWarrior Banned Banned

But that isn't what you are arguing against by pulling in anecdotal evidence. If you can't refute his numbers, you can't refute his argument.

17. Greg-VT

Greg-VT Peasant

You - Are - Blind.

Goodbye.

18. KiWarrior

KiWarrior Banned Banned

great rebuttal, way to use your aforementioned "logic".

I'll take that to mean you don't have the information and so don't have anything to support your point of view besides the anecdotal accounts of sychophants and profitters.

19. totality

totality New Member

the author destroys his credibility by using a stupid isolation exercise as his basis for discerning mr. lee's upper body strength. game, set, and match.

20. TigerGrishkin

TigerGrishkin Banned Banned

Are you kidding? Bruce Lee fanboys use his movies and his personal stories as a barometer of his martial greatness. Uh?