broken jaw

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by funkymonk, Nov 25, 2004.

1. funkymonk

funkymonk Valued Member

I broke my jaw about 3 years ago and was wondering if it would make the jaw weaker than it was. Whats the score on broken bones , are they any easier to break again or does the healing process make them the same strength or even stronger? :confused:
    btw it wasn't a clean break it was just two small fractures (i don't know if it makes any difference)

Last edited: Nov 25, 2004
  2. E-Rocker

E-Rocker Valued Member

Dunno. Ask your doctor.

3. Satori81

Satori81 Never Forget...

Good advice, E-Rocker. You should definately consult your doctor, as the specifics of your individual injury could lead one way or another.

I will share what doctors have told me in the past, though. They roughly explained that the "scar tissue" that forms to mend a broken bone is actually more rigid and sturdy than the original bone. However, this refers to standard, static use of the limb in question. Martial arts requires pliability, which could definately make your jaw worse for wear.

Again, ask the doctor who treated your jaw 3 years ago. He/she will know better than us.

May you achieve
    Satori

4. Wax

Wax Valued Member

What i know of broken bones is from several over the last few years (taking up skateboarding when you are older and less 'green' can cause problems).

I've been told by doctors that where the bone breaks is stronger due to the way it heals over but the strain from the break can create weak spots around it. But then these have all been limbs and digits so it might be different for a jaw.