% Breakup of Budo and Fun

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by irimi, Jul 10, 2006.

1. irimi

irimi Valued Member

My instructor often says that one should stop doing aikido when it stops being fun. However, a lot is also written about aikido being a budo (implying dedicated self-discipline rather than fun), "polishing the stone", a "hard art" which requires dedication and working through the frustrations, etc. When people write about the mix of enjoyment and budo/self-discipline, they tend to focus on the pleasure they get from taking ukemi well, or sometimes the pleasure that comes from achieving (even if only in that one instant) a beautiful flowing technique that delivers maximum effect with minimum effort.

So what constitutes "fun" for you in aikido? And how important is "having fun" versus the drive for self-mastery or self-discipline?

2. Dave Humm

Dave Humm Serving Queen and Country

The fun part for me is the interaction with other club members, having a good 'crack' (laugh) as part of a larger group of people with common interests.

The study however is fairly serious, not 'stern' or overly regimented but serious none the less. Aikido is a budo which needs a degree of thoughtfulness and, at a very basic level, respect for the environment in which we train.

The dojo is a place of learning and like any school its students must observe a degree of courtesy (often referred to as etiquette). The founder of aikido said that practice must be "joyful" but I don't take that to mean acting silly or messing about just for fun value (if that makes sense)

I think it’s also important to be mindful that although Aikido is generally accepted as a less aggressive art in terms of application, the waza still has great potential for injury thus; students should develop a martial attitude toward their time on the mat.

3. kiaiki

kiaiki Valued Member

Hi Irimi.

Crashing about in a dojo may be something which diminishes in pleasure with age, although one's ability to make others crash about may more than compensate in later life! Age is one of many reasons people give up, which mostly may be defined as a loss of enjoyment. However, that's not a good reason to give up, it's a reason to question why and seek ways to train which restore the enjoyment.

My experience has thrown up several stages/reasons for students quitting:
    1. Finding it difficult/unsatisfying right in the beginning - lots of beginners' classes have a high dropout rate. Sometimes they don't find what they want, sometimes the teaching is just plain crap.
    2. Dislike of Sensei's personality or methods - (see threads on Grandmaster McDojo McPersonalityCult)
    3. Dislike of Gradings system or 'Competition' sport Aikido, or other 'style' issues
    4. Unwillingness to take as a uke what they expect others to take from them.
    5. Puberty
    6. Related to 3 (above) some see a Black Belt as their ultimate goal and then lack motivation to improve or teach others etc.

There are others, I'm sure, but a good instructor can only help the student if he/she knows what is happening. Some students simply disappear and we never know why!
    Those whose attendance slowly declines are much easier to help.

However, a good instructor should be able to guide all his students to practice at a level where they may find enjoyment - even if they are only able to practice on their own at times, or are injured in some way. It's these challenges which make a good instructor IMHO. It's easy to teach lively young and enthusiastic students.

Not to be too rude to your instructor, but does he define the fun in Aikido as the physical techniques which happen on the mat or does he see enjoyment in the wider social context of the club or organisation?

I see Aikido as an intrinsic part of the way I live my life and enjoy different aspects at different times, so I can't 'give up' in the way you give up a sport, for example. Seen in that context, your instructor's guidance would not ever be given by me to any student of a 'martial' art. :)

Last edited: Jul 10, 2006
  4. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

You'll have good days and bad days in the dojo and we should all work through the bad days as best as we can. But for some people there comes a time when their heart just isn't in it any more or the very thought of training fills them with dread and throws them into a bout of depression.

I'd say something like Aikido stops being fun when you realy truely and honestly don't want to be there any longer. When things get that bad, that's when you walk away. That's when it's no longer fun.

5. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

The definition of "fun" probably changes as time goes on. In the beginner's mind, fun may revolve mostly around inspiration... they may see something done, not understand fully how it is done but they are impressed by it and they want to learn. They want to become like some other.

Once training becomes regular, much time is spent on repetition and things may become frustrating or uninteresting... but the fun may come with the social interactions. Being part of a group, having peers, being with people that share a common interest...

But the body and mind are changing and the workout provided by training can become addictive too. The feeling of working out intensely can bring a natural "high."

And after a while, seeing improvement can be an inspiration. It is hard to see improvement in yourself, but to see it in others is often very surprisingly easy to do. To see a white belt years later some higher rank and to see how they have improved can be a great inspiration. Bringing the "fun" back to revitalize training.

And yet, people have to find their own inspiration in training in the end. Others will not provide it... it is a personal thing with all of the above factoring in.

In all, this "inspiration" or "fun" is what keeps us going with an open mind and willingness to learn.

6. macker

macker Valued Member

I actually find it fun being hit, open handed and with a weapon. Being thrown hard and fast. These give me the opportunity to practice my self-discipline, and also make me feel very humble. I also appreciate the fact that the person hitting me is teaching me something, and i much rather give them the opportunity, than some thug in a confrontation.

7. Jamesy

Jamesy Valued Member

I think he might mean that when he has to drag himself to the dojo every week and does not look forward to going and teaching might be what he means by not fun.

8. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Teaching is a lot of hardwork and sometimes very frustraighting. But the rewards are well worth the effort.

9. My ki

My ki New Member

The description of Aikido training I read before I started train said they "trained in a serious but relaxed manner" I thought that sounded pretty dumb, how can you be serious and relaxed? After training a while I understood what they meant (not physical relaxation btw) and I use the phrase myself now. I think it's the same with 'fun' and 'budo'