breaking ?

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by natxanadu, Dec 9, 2003.

1. natxanadu

natxanadu Banned Banned

do you have to break things and stuff in kenpo ?

2. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

People mainly.

3. natxanadu

natxanadu Banned Banned

just want to know if you have to break boards and stuff in kenpo, if you dont then i might give it ago, i currently practise jujutsu but i want to do a striking art as well

4. quartermaster

quartermaster Cat-like, stretchy guy

dunno why anyone would want to break boards, arms are so much more fun

5. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

at my school we occaisonally have a student fun night, where we get together informally and watch kung-fu movies, eat pizza, and break boards. It's not really part of the cuurriculum but it's fun.

6. Razor

Razor New Member

We practice breaking in Kara-Ho Kempo, though not part of the rank advancement criteria, it is considered a good way to test your KI or internal power. We do not usually use boards instead we break bricks, tiles, or ice mainly-

Anyone see the Tonight Show with Jay Leno where GM Sam Kuoha showed Jay how to break bricks then broke a large stack of ice?

7. RCastillo

RCastillo New Member

Same here!:)

8. wingzero1216

wingzero1216 New Member

where i teach, its not a regular thing but we break bricks. when we do one of our chief instructors like to show off and he performs 2 special breaks; one with a egg in he hand and one using a shot glass. its some crazy stuff knowing that he could cut he fingers off with the shot glass

9. Meshugener87

Meshugener87 New Member

At my dojo, we never touch any bricks or boards. We do break eachother occasionally, though.

10. Tigermoth

Tigermoth New Member

At my school we break re-breakable boards just to demonstrate proper form. It is not a requirement for belt advancement but it doesn't hurt and it gives the little ones (and sometimes the big ones) confidence.

11. Ramda

Ramda Valued Member

At the school I goto we use the re-brakable boards occasional for kids and adults for confidence and focus but its not a requirement for testing. We also have the occasional evening for the kids to have fun breaking 'real' wood boards.

12. kenpoist

kenpoist New Member

Many kenpo schools that I know of do not instruct in breaking, though I did a ltille for demo puposes in my old kenpo school. I had to do a three station break for my TKD BB.

Maybe they use the old addage from the actor who played Chong Lee (Bloodsport/Enter the Dragon) to Van Damme and Bruce Lee after they had done some fancy breaking in their respective movies- "Very nice, but Boards/Bricks don't hit back". :woo:

Last edited: Feb 6, 2005