Breaking news: Vancouver riots

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Omicron, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

Not Going To Have A Good Weekend....Ouch!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUQZW6YetjE"]YouTube - ‪Hit in the nuts with Flash bang 2011 Vancouver Riots‬‏[/ame]

2. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

that's the one!

nasty stuff, that :p*

*understated understatement is understated... and and redundant

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

On the plus side hopefully he is now impotent and cannot pollute the gene pool with his offspring

4. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Isn't Vancouver consistently on the 'Best cities in the world to live in' lists?

5. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

#1 a lot of the time...although there is the saying that you can't swing a hippy without hitting a junkie....

I like the city, it was just too wet....and too many Starbucks

6. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

I don't have a sour opinion of the city, I am just giving the facts. The fact of the matter is that Vancouver has one of the biggest drug problems in the world. And I am not just talking about pot, I am talking about hard drugs like crack, cocaine, ect...

7. Omicron

Omicron is around.

Really? OK...

And what "factual" list rates Vancouver as one of the worst cities in the world? Or is that just your own opinion?

There is a lot of drug use, granted. Tell me how that makes us, factually speaking, one of the world's worst cities. Again, merely your opinion, and probably based on a skewed perception of the causes and effects of drug use.

This is the most factual thing you've said. However, is that a bad thing?

Maybe you should look up the meaning of the word "fact" again.

You're right. Most of them walked home with their heads held high, proud that Vancouver made it to the finals and acknowledging that Boston won. The crowd gave Boston a big ovation, especially when their goalie won MVP. A small group of planned trouble makers were responsible for the riots, not most of the population.

I really don't care what your opinion of Vancouver is, but I do care when people apply faulty logic to bad-mouth something they obviously don't understand. Case in point:

What is it you think about drug use here? That everyone is constantly stoned and nothing gets done? We have more drug use here for several reasons, including the fact that our police force generally doesn't think incarcerating drug users is the best policy, yet the government fails to listen to them. Also, being one of the only Canadian cities that doesn't get lethally cold on winter nights means that homeless people from all over the country migrate here.

But I guess they must all be terrible people who contribute nothing to the city. You're right. We should judge the entire city based on one national problem that manifests itself most strongly here.

8. AndrewTheAndroid

It can be when there is drugs and alcohol involved. Or are we to assume that the entire 100, 000 people were sober the entire time?

Where did I say most of the population? I said "many." There is a difference. Even if it were just 1% of the 100k people, that's still 1000 people rioting, which in my opinion is a lot of people, but definitely not "most."

So you think the only effect of drug usage is lazyness and the only people that can get arrested are the users?

You might not be aware of this but there is actually quite a high rate of HIV in Vancouver due to the use of shared/re-used needles. In order to combat this, a safe injection site has been set up. According to wiki, they are currently handing out 3 million needles a year.

Moreover, high drug usage isn't an effect of the police not enforcing the law. I'd say it's other way around.

You can downplay all of the problems in Vancouver all you want but that doesn't mean that they are going to magically go away.

9. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

10. Late for dinner

The discussion about Vancouver seems a bit off. It's a nice city but like any city it has problems. It has been rated in the top two cities to live in in the world in a number of polls and I fondly remember living there.

Many of the present day problems are to some degree to do with the US crackdown on the Mexican drug traffickers. It became easier to ship things up the BC coast and the various gangs/orgs involved have taken advantage of the relaxed nature of the province.

Riots happen for many reasons and often the people involved have nothing to do with the event in question. I think from my experiences here in the UK that this is a universal problem.

Hope that people will not write off a beautiful city full of friendly people because of some dung peeps that took advantage of the situation.

FWIW

powchoy

11. AndrewTheAndroid

Sorry if I offended anyone, I just like to yank people's chains about different Canadian cities. I once asked a girl from Edmonton what it's like living in the most violent city in North America.

I am just a jealous Leafs fan.

12. Late for dinner

Hey WP, I'm from Edmonton :' )

Actually we did have the highest murder rate per capita in the country (two guys emptied clips into one of our guys who happily survived.. axe murder in the snooker hall under our club, etc)! There were some really bizarre murders in the neighbourhood where our club was. One year I think we had a total of maybe 44 deaths but usually it was more like 12 or 14.

Interestingly the town that I grew up in led the nation with Edmonton being second in 2007. Maybe I have some sort of influence over the population!!

Where are you from? Somewhere safe like Tacoma ;' )

powchoy

13. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

14. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

Because i read stuff on the net like "awwwe canadians are such sore losers' Paints all of us not just those in BC.

15. icefield

icefield Valued Member

was there last year for a holiday, great city, lovely people seems to have more than its fair share of stunning women and the steaks...well i miss them almost as much as i miss the tuna....oh and did i mention the women?!

All cities have there problems but not many have the skyline or the scenery like vancouver