Breaking news: Vancouver riots

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Omicron, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Omicron

Omicron is around.

As you may or may not be aware, the Vancouver Canucks lost in the final game of the Stanley Cup finals today, and people around here weren't at all pleased. We lost (and rioted) the last time the Canucks made it to the finals (1994), and things have repeated themselves again this year. I'm sure there are still lots of videos to come, as with all the mobile phones and cameras there's bound be lots of interesting media that pops up by tomorrow morning.

Just wanted to take a moment to remind those of us who train for self-defence purposes that a little crowd-control is always a good thing to consider. Vancouver is normally a (relatively) quiet Canadian town, so if this can happen here, it can happen anywhere. People leaving theatres and restaurants in the downtown core were caught off guard as they found themselves amidst broken glass, street fights, and flaming cars. Would you know what to do?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1HPn1qGIps"]YouTube - ‪Riots ensue in downtown Vancouver following Stanley Cup Final‬‏[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwdcUVlAr-I"]YouTube - ‪Riots ensue in downtown Vancouver following Stanley Cup Final‬‏[/ame]

2. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

It's only a game:bang:

3. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Worst trained police ... EVER.
    In Glasgow, we would had horse on the street and rode them down.

The Bear.

4. Omicron

Omicron is around.

So police are supposed to hurt people then?

5. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

I've always assumed that the reason Canadians were so chilled out was because they got all their aggression worked out through hockey. 1 day of rioting for 364 days of Canadian chillage. Bargain.

6. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

That's why half of them join ;)

7. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Some people need hurting...it is never my first choice but I am very good at it

8. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

ah, the delightful world of sports... :p

9. Hannibal

Most of theses pansies are the first to complain when they get a whack too!

10. SPIKE THE RAVEN

SPIKE THE RAVEN Valued Member

Sad to see the foolishness...it was a great series,especially for a Bruins fan such as myself.Playoff hockey is pretty special stuff.

11. SpikeD

SpikeD At the Frankenstein Place

I've got to say that as far as riots go it was pretty laid back, kids these days eh; no enthusiasm. :rolleyes:

12. Santa Barbara

Santa Barbara Valued Member

Not people, idiots !!!

13. Fish Of Doom

good idea. i suggest truncheons with erroneous multiplication tables printed in bright letters. if they don't read it and correct it when you raise the truncheon, you whack them in the head.

14. Hannibal

legs are funnier

15. Fish Of Doom

midget police squads?

16. Hannibal

It's just that watching some "badass" scream, break windows and front you then limp, fall down and cry is funnier than KOing them

17. Fish Of Doom

well, you could always hit them in the head while they're down :p

bonus if you hit them before they touch the ground. someone go teach the candian police some FMA.

18. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

I wonder if it woul've happened to that scale if it warnt for the daily diet of riots (overseas) they see on telly, all with important sounding analysis and commentary... the end result - unspoken impression that Canadians aren't important 'cause they are invisible to the media industrial complex and in order to be recognized by it, they need to riot and ruckuss.

Someone needs to tell 'em that there's nothing wrong with being right-minded. Everyone wants to emmigrate to Canada 'cause the reality is, its no fun living in a stifling lock-down punctuated by the fear of never knowing when a mindless mob is gonna shift directions and mow you down.

If the press glorified Bob and Doug, the world would be a happier place.

19. Hannibal

Canadian riots are still "lite" compared to what you see elsewhere - even the protest marches are polite (well they are in Calgary anyway)

20. Omicron

Omicron is around.

Vancouver has a history of rioting when we lose the Stanley Cup Finals, so I don't think it goes much farther than hockey. Also, Vancouver was ahead for the entire series (and for the entire playoffs, actually), so it was a shock to lose it all at the end.