Brazilian Juijitsu?

Discussion in 'Hapkido' started by Kraen, Feb 28, 2009.

1. Kraen

Kraen Valued Member

Why does it seem like more often than not-- no matter WHAT the topic is, or what style it's under, someone brings up BJJ?

whatever happened to 'it's not the style, but the fighter that decides the outcome' an' all that?

And what does BJJ have to do with, 'what does -HAPKIDO- favor in the clinch?' or any other example you can think of.

Secondly, I wonder if the BJJ forums have to deal with people talking about how, "if it was Hapkido, I would just rough him up a bit then throw him into a STANDING jointlock.
    :woo::woo::woo::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: :evil::evil::evil:"

Any thoughts?

2. Omicron

Omicron is around.

Well, Mr. Five Posts, assuming you aren't just a troll, BJJ often gets mentioned because of its generally superior training methodology. Training against full resistance almost all the time tends to produce fighters who are very competent at what they do. Saying that it's the fighter and not the style may be generally true, but it's also true that certain styles have a higher concentration of competency amongst their practitioners than others do. BJJ is often mentioned because of this.

Add to that the fact that many martial arts do not include much ground work, and you have BJJ'ers chiming in calling into question the practicality of any self-defense system that fails to acknowledge the necessity of at least a passing familiarity with ground fighting.

Really though, if you don't want people from other styles to enter your discussions, then MAP probably isn't what you're looking for...there are a lot of different people representing a lot of different styles here. If you want to have your own insular discussions where others can't voice their opinions, go start your own Hapkido-only forum and ban people who say things that make you feel uncomfortable.

3. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

I think it does help that in a 1 on 1 situation, which might arguably be the best test of a martial art, then a BJJer only has to do one thing to win, that being getting you to the ground. Once there he's won.
    How much this relates to self defence is another arguable point but you certainly need to know enough grappling to know a little of what to do once you find yourself on the ground. BJJ or judo supplies that.

4. Kraen

Kraen Valued Member

Rude much?

First off Omicron, I would like to thank you for insulting me. Much appreciated! :(

For the record one POSSIBLE reason for me only having 5 posts is... I JUST REGISTERED. Please consider this.

Secondly, I would like you to quote the part where I said, 'I don't like these people coming here and adding to our discussions with their non-hapkido views. They are making me feel uncomfortable and I don't like it at all' In my original post.

Now we got that out of the way..

Ah, I see. Thank you for your post. I figured that BJJ'ers would give Hapkido at least some credit. And I can see it when they step it up with 'in a Judo setting' for example.

Now for the part I think you missed... I was asking about the 'trolls' that spew BJJ, not the actual people that contribute something CONSTRUCTIVE to conversations. If you look at my first post you should be able to see all of the 'smilies' quoted along with the 'Hapkido Troll', indicating this.

I see. Thank you for your post Martial Dad.

-Kraen

5. BSR

BSR Valued Member

Maybe you should answer the question yourself, seeing as you just started a thread in the Hapkido forum titled "Brazilian Jujitsu."

6. Kraen

Kraen Valued Member

Please note that it ends with a question mark and not a period. And the questions posted are valid. BJJ is not something I know of beyond what anyone could tell from watching a few UFC matches. I do appreciate the REAL answers I have received.

The reason I posted it under the 'Hapkido' Forum is because I wanted to hear what people who study Hapkido have to say. I'm confident that if I were to ask this under the BJJ forum I would get some very biased answers favoring the '90% of fights end up on the ground' view. Here I can get a few more answers that explain it in a little more cut & dry manner that I can trust like Omicron and Martial Dad did.

-Kraen

7. Custom Volusia

Custom Volusia Valued Member

I think you may have been able to pose your question better if you are serious. You should probably take another shot at it.

Something like: In regards to the BJJ trolls that believe that BJJ is all that is MA...why do they always bring it up?

Which is what you are really asking...but then you answer your own question!!! IT'S BECAUSE THEY ARE TROLLS!!!!!!

8. Moi

It would be on my list of essentials. 2nd from the top.

9. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

"biased views that 90% of fights end up on the ground" i doubt its 90% but i am willing to bet a lotof fights end up on the deck. yes i am an ex bjj artist :D

10. Moi

I've only ever heard that from jujitsu instructors:hat:

11. Southpaw535

they're the only people ive heard say both people go to the ground but one person ending up on the ground at some point io can beleive even if its only for a few seconds.

12. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Various reasons :
    a) bjj has proven itself to be highly effective in a competition context
    b) the founders are highly respected worldwide
    c) it's practised by more people worldwide I imagine ,so it's discussed a lot
    d) majority of mma fighters use bjj and mma is popular so it's discussed a lot.

13. Kraen

Kraen Valued Member

There are some subtleties in my original post. I agree that I probably could have worded it better. However I'm satisfied with the answers I have gotten so far as they have imparted actual knowledge onto me.. except for the ones that just say 'because they are trolls.'

Of course they are trolls. That part was a little more rhetorical than anything else.. unless if there ARE trolls in the BJJ forum! =O (no way!)

That said, thanks to those who answered the serious questions with serious answers.

-Kraen

14. Southpaw535

sorry i'll be serious for a sec on this one. No we dont because i think the ration of bjj practitioners to hapkido is very low, secondly bjj strangely enough is about groundfighting which isnt the main focus of hapkido. As for standing jointlocks i think you'd be surprised how well bjj transitions standing. my RNC is just as good standing.

15. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

do fights really end up on the ground 90% of the time? where does this stat come from? cause i don't see it. usually, if it ends up on the ground, it's cause three dudes are stomping another one. one on one? i don't see that happening as much as 90%. no way, not in the fights i've personally ever witnessed.

16. Southpaw535

thats the point people are making mate. check out any major bjj site and they'll throw a figure like that out

17. Bruce W Sims

Bruce W Sims Banned Banned

warning---warning---warning---warning

The following comment may not be suitable for people of differing opinions!

warning---warning---warning---warning

It is the avowed purpose of advertising to stimulate excitement or emotion regarding the item being marketed. IME the overwhelming number of discussions across a range of INTERNET sites are little more than "free advertising" for either/or BJJ or MMA. These "discussions" include such non-starters as "I've been thinking of "starting/leaving/taking/adding" BJJ/MMA/??? to my MA career....." There is also the ubiquitous "comparison" discussion (could this guy beat that guy) as well as the famous "what is the best technique for..."- discussions. The whole idea of these is to keep the identified activity being questioned before the public eye but not have to spend money on advertising as such. (see: John Graden).

Best Wishes,

Bruce

18. Custom Volusia

Custom Volusia Valued Member

If someone says 90% of fights end on the ground I tell them that 100% start on their feet!

19. BSR

BSR Valued Member

But do you ever actually train them standing?

Sounds similar to what I've heard Hapkido people say, that many of our standing techniques can be transitioned to the ground even though most HKD schools spend a very minimal amount of time on groundwork. Just because I can apply an armbar from a standing position doesn't mean I'm going to be equally good using them in groundfighting.

But I'm sure you knew that, I'm just thinking out loud really.

On another note, I've browsed through Royce Gracie's self-defense book and several of the techniques in there look like Hapkido.

So, maybe the answer to the original question is HKD=BJJ!11!!1!1

Or not...

20. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Or more importantly "does it matter if it works?" I think not.