Boxing in friends backyard

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by plunix, Feb 5, 2003.

1. plunix

plunix New Member

I've done a few matches just for fun while drunk outside with buddies, what are the dangers of us guys just boxing without any previous training... is there any articles than can help me learn how to box

2. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

3. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Boxing whilst drunk is plain stupid.

Ask for serious advice about serious training and I'll give it.

4. dredleviathan

dredleviathan New Member

It sounds like there is definite danger of kebab, memory loss and inexplicable bruising. You may also spill your pint but this in itself is not necessarily dangerous.

On the plus side you may receive a Darwin award.

5. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

There is a danger of death!

Or more likely broken hands, I assume your not using gloves/headguards/gumshields.

Colin

6. Jim

Jim New Member

Surely not... There'd have to be a live snake, Nuclear power station and/or slip 'n slide involved to make it into that prestigious list...

7. plunix

plunix New Member

heh yoda i figured i'd get that, its just that i have no will to compete when im not drunk, its not that i get drunk to fight i just feel like it when i am heh, yes we do have gloves and helmets, one of them has 2 sets of them so we use them.

8. movado

movado New Member

as long as you's use the gloves,mouthpieces,supporter w/cup and head gear there should'nt be a major problem.that's just a basic approach of sparring.all boxers in training must do this as part of their mandatory training procedures.
    roadwork,jumping rope,heavybag,speed bag,focus pad,fighter/trainer pad punching technique drills,weights and last but not least and definetely mandatory.sparring.
    there you have it.
    as a precautionary measure.i'd also advise you's to cut the thumbs off your boxing gloves.the end part of the thumbs section of boxing gloves has contributed to retina damage on various pro boxers like sugar ray leonard,sugar ray seales and scott ledoux.
    that would be the best safety pointer to keep in mind along with protecting the family jewels w/the supporter & hardcup.

9. WhiteWizard

WhiteWizard Arctic Assasain

this is quite possibly the stupidest thing i have ever heard and i'm not joking this is highly dangerous the brain can be extremly unbalanced during alchohol consumption and any shots to the head could be fatal. if you don't have the will to box when not drunk then don't box. also the lack of experience is also a factor mind you if someone was experienced then i would worry about them allowing this practice to continue.

in short its a bad idea and someone will pay heavily one day and then you will all realise just how stupid it is

10. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

White Wizards right, this is just stupid.

If you wanna learn an art, go to a class and learn it! Sober. If you wanted to learn to drive, you'd find an instructor and get lessons, you wouldn't go on an website asking for articles on how to do it. And you certainly wouldn't do it in your mates backyard drunk.

11. MATT_LIQUID

MATT_LIQUID New Member

Eh nothing wrong with a bit of drunken sparring! Sounds like fun to me. It's alot better than brawling in the street.

What rules do you use? I'd reccomend 1 minute rounds.

After a good night out how do you end up in your mates garden and not in some birds house lol.

12. pug32

pug32 Valued Member

get jackie chan to teach you. he is the drunken boxing master, i saw it on telly so it must be true

13. movado

movado New Member

i believe that at least some of the bareknuckle fighters of the 17 and 1800's fought after they tied one on.no doubt.to fight bare knuckles you'd have to either numb yourself or be so extremely ****ed off at the moment that you'd feel no pain.my guess is that the latter situation rarely occurs with an organized prizefight so you'd have to believe that these legendary bareknuckle brawling warriors like james figg and jack broughton fought after they hit the bottle to enable themselves to feel brave enough for this gruesome endeavor.
    true fact though.and very much known is that tony galento,a heavyweight contender from the 1940's drank beer all the time,including before his bouts.he actually decked joe louis!!!but ran out of gas because of his lack of conditioning.another well known pugilist,john l.sullivan always went into bars half crocked looking to take on the baddest dude in the bar for a little step outside, free swinging bareknuckle brawl.his personal fightin words to his fellow bad ass drunken opponents were"i can take any son of a bitch in the house!"
    alot of people can in fact fight better when they're half crocked.it's true,it's true.i've seen it time and time again.
    others rely on anger and vengeance which is fine and dandy.but let's face it.not everyone's capable of getting angry any time they choose to.for some it has to be a spontaneous thing.like work stress.am i gettin through to anyone on this point?

14. johndoch

johndoch upurs

Hey movado

Just cause fighters in the past got p*ssed and went out and fought doesn't mean its the smart thing to do. Also who says you need to be angry to fight? Cold and calculated is best.

15. Greyghost

Greyghost Alllll rrigghty then!

i've just taken up indoor hang gliding......

OMG..let them fight...natural selection is an important part of evolution.

16. Jazman

Jazman New Member

Let them bash each others brains out! I say let people learn from their own mistakes!

17. AsSaSiN

AsSaSiN New Member

LOL that made me wet myself

18. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

wrestling is safer than boxing.

19. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

Except when you are being Supplexed...

20. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

yeah or caught in a pile-driver LOL!