Boxer/judoka learning to kick?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by FunnyBadger, Sep 13, 2014.

1. FunnyBadger

FunnyBadger I love food :)

Hi there all, I appreciate that this thread could end up degenerating so I will try to be as specific as I can in order to prevent that as much as possible.

I boxed for several years as a child and 3 months ago started boxing again. In between I studied judo and jjj and still make occasional judo sessions and train occasionally with a few friends. I am comfortable (but maybe not competent) with grappling and punching but useless with kicking.

I will be moving to cosford (midlands, between telford and Wolverhampton) in a few months and can train judo and boxing on base but I would like to start learning how to use my legs as well. I am not expecting to become a kicking genius but would like to learn some basic kicks and how to defend against them.

Does any one know any good clubs or individuals in that area who teach skills I could incorporate into my existing skill set without to much modification?

2. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Are you able to get to Black Widow Gym?

3. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Do you have a link, website or location?

4. FunnyBadger

Quick google search, black widdow looks pretty cool but according to google maps at least 45 mins drive away. Somewhere closer would be better but cheers for that, it looks like somewhere I'd be interested in going even if only occasionally when time allowed it.

5. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

www.blackwidowmartialarts.com

Considered as one of the best gyms in the midlands. Worth popping in at least once. Fantastic facilities!

6. hewho

hewho Valued Member

Combat Athlete in Ketley (Telford) have a sound rep for MMA, slightly pricey, but it is a case of getting what you pay for! http://www.combatathlete.co.uk

7. FunnyBadger

Cheers for that hewho. There is not a huge amount of info on that web site so can I just ask where you heard about their "rep for mma" and if you know anything about the instructors background?

It's pretty close by and seems like a good lead just quite a vague website.

8. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Pm'd you

Last edited: Sep 14, 2014
  9. hewho

hewho Valued Member

I trained there for a few months and got friendly with a guy who had and won his first AM fight (another friend attended the event to spectate, it was not just an in club thing) and if you visit the coach will tell you their fight record, which I am sure you can look up :) best of luck

10. hewho

hewho Valued Member

Didnt ask about the instructors lineage, but he destroyed me in rolling after about three seconds, at a time I was starting to hold out (not win mark you, just be a little more tricky) with more advanced students, sorry for multi post!

11. hewho

hewho Valued Member

just found a place in st georges Telford called spartan MMA, I'm gonna head up there on tuesday to check out their boxing class :) http://www.spartanmma.co.uk/

12. FunnyBadger

Hi there slight necro here but thought I'd try again. I'm moving at the end of March (a few months later than expected) and am now looking into training options in the cosford/telford area. I have found a few possibilities,

Spartan mma - http://www.spartanmma.co.uk - seems to be pretty much what I'm after, does any one have any first hand experience of the places or their fighters?

Reaper gym - seems to have a good reputation locally for Muay Thai but I can't find them online any more, does any one have a line on them by any chance?

Telford thai boxing - http://www.telfordthaiboxing.com - another thai option looks and sounds great but does any one have any first hand knowledge of the place?

Dragon kwoon - http://www.dragonkwoon.com - the San shou is something a little different but might be quite good fun :) slightly dubious though mainly because i know very little about the Chinese arts so would struggle to asses its relative quality.

If people know of any other good clubs in the area then please let me know about them and as I said above any recommendations or cautions on those links would be grand.

Cheers folks :)

13. ibeatbrucelee

ibeatbrucelee New Member

Thanks for the links FunnyBadger.

14. ned

ned Valued Member

Might not be exactly what you're looking for but a good mate of mine who used to live in
    that area( from a taiwanese familly kung fu background) now living in Oxford,
    still trains one to one with an instructor from Telford called Jerome Hamilton.
    He teaches at a wado ryu karate club but also has 30 yrs experience across a range of other arts - might be a good local connecion.