Borat: Cultural Learnings of America For Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Sandus, Nov 2, 2006.

?

How would you rate Borat?

1. 4 Stars

80.0%
  2. 3 1/2 Stars

6.7%
  3. 3 Stars

6.7%
  4. 2 1/2 Stars

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 2 Stars

6.7%
  6. 1 1/2 Stars

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 1 Star

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 1/2 Star

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 0 Stars

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Sandus

Sandus Moved Himself On

I will keep this brief and expand upon it later, but I wanted to get this out before the film hits theaters.

For those of you unfamiliar with the character, Borat Sagdiyev (Sacha Baron Cohen) is a reporter from Kazakhstan. At the behest of the Kazakh Ministry of Information, Borat travels to the United States to learn about the cultural differences between the two countries.

Part documentary and part narrative, this film attempts to seamlessly weave together the two, placing real people (some of them famous, such as Republican Alan Keyes) in situations where they might make humerous choices. Think Candid Camera, but in reverse. Borat finds himself in many situations where the unsuspecting real people fall for his naivete and apparent cluelessness. Some highlights include a run-in with some Atlanta youths and a small incident at a mortgage brokers' convention.

While some gags might be a tad extreme, the laughs are near-constant and the ride is well worth the price of admission.

4/4 Stars
    10/10 Personal Fanboydom

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I cannot wait to see this movie! Even the trailer has me in hysterics!

3. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Haven't seen it yet, but I can't wait. Borat is wicked :D

4. Guizzy

Guizzy with Arnaud and Eustache

I have to say, it was hilarious.

Crude, offensive, sometimes cheap humour (loooots of Jew jokes). But there was so much of it and the deadpan tone is so well executed that you can't help but laugh each 30 seconds.

The year ain't over yet, but this is most probably going to be the year's funniest film; followed quite closely by Snakes in a Plane, which was funny for other reasons.