Bokken Basics

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by nickh, Oct 27, 2007.

1. nready

nready Verifying DMI pool....

Yea, this would work but there is no way one could grab and hold a arm threw the draw of a sword. Choosen tried to show this in his video.

I would want to be right against the other person, with the sword right like you have it. So forward energy would be affecting his spine.

I see you are just stepping threw the practice.

As the guy went to pivot I would stick to him and follow, his own movement would cause the sword cut threw his body.

2. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

I am about to pin his elbow and hip by levering my sword against his elbow locking at the hip to throw him. Hard to see in the picture. Here is the throw.(different attacker)

regards koyo

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 10, 2007
  3. nready

nready Verifying DMI pool....

That is nice Koyo!

4. shadow_ronin

shadow_ronin Banned Banned

Oh snap!

Point taken. I'll be quite now.

(It was only a jibe :D )

No you have trained too seriously for too long. If you lose your sense of humor how are you going to be able to laugh at your opponent. :D

Last edited: Nov 11, 2007
  5. koyo

I am known as Sensei humour in my own club.

But point taken. I think watching the ninja shishin tapes has gotten through to me.

To answer your question how do I run in a skirt. If they are wise enough to run away I tend not to run after them.

regards koyo

6. fat-lazy-git

fat-lazy-git Valued Member

i run very well in a skirt.......not so easy in a mini though :p

as for multiple attackers, i teach to stop from running between, try to keep them in a line ( in a sense) and move, first one one to catch you/try to punch you, deck him/her.

in our sylabus we do 2-1,4-1 and 6-1 standing and laying down, and i always make a point of telling them " as soon as you realise its a situation..........move,take out the nearest one and keep moving.....preferebly in a taxi or bus".

also, if you read five rings by musashi.......exactly the same strategy ( without the long grass and swords....................probably).

YOU TUBE IS FOR A BIT OF FUN......................DONT TAKE IT SERIOUSLY.
    IF YOUR SERIOUS ABOUT LEARNING A MARTIAL ART/SELF DEFENCE TECHS THEN YOU WOULD HAVE THE MOTIVATION TO JOIN A CLUB.
    IF AN INSTRUCTOR IS SERIOUS ABOUT TRAINING YOU AND CARES ABOUT YOUR SAFTEY THEN THEY WOULD OPEN A CLASS SO THEY CAN TEACH AND COACH YOU SAFLEY AND PROPERLY.THEY WOULDNT BE BOTHERED ABOUT LOW NUMBERS OR EGO BOOSTING.

7. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Well Said.
    The danger is when you become a professional MA instructor, you become forced to have concern for the bottomline instead of the art. I don't have a problem about fees to cover cost of training area and equipment purchase butonce you have a family to support on it that's when problems can arise.

The Bear.

8. fat-lazy-git

im part of a non profit making org.......my club is non profit making, all the fees that a student pays goes back into the club and pays for equipment,tatami,day trips/demos and wotnot.
    our uniforms are sold to the student at cost price,the club makes about £2 on a uniform which goes towards postage costs to restock the uniforms, the first set of badges are free.
    basically, our club pays for itself.

9. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Same here. At our club all instruction is free, the charge is cover costs and at hard times club members open their wallets to support the club. Usually the head of the club is the first to open his.

The Bear.

10. Senban

Senban Banned Banned

Fat-lazy-git said:-
    Actually it's a lot easier to run in a mini due to there being less material and.....

I've said too much.

/me looks left

/me looks right

/me runs off before the awkward questions start again

;)

11. fat-lazy-git

not the tight minis though,and at least in a full skirt i dont have to shave my legs.

heels...........................its hard to run in heels

12. koyo

For me there are two questions you must ask yourself. WHY am I teaching and WHAT am I teaching.I teach because I gain great pleasure out of watching the student progress in the art.What I am teaching is as true to the art as I can possibly make it.I would never teach anything that I felt would place a student in danger.

There are too many ego maniacs out there selling boiled eggs and telling you they are hand grenades.Common sense should dictate what you teach and yet I see so much that utterly denies common sense.Latest video I saw it is recommended that against an attacker armed with TWO knifes you avoid the first thrust, block it, for some reason he leaves his arm out and thrust over it with his other hand which you block with your free hand and then "making sure to block both thrusts" with one hand you strike.......Utter nonsense.

regards koyo

Last edited: Nov 12, 2007
  13. RAbid Hamster

RAbid Hamster Herr Trubelmacher

I teach because I want to encourage western medieval fencers in general and in glasgow in particular ... (and so I can get a fight :D )
    Sounds like a noble, wonderful and truly great leader you have there ... or has more money than sense! :rolleyes:

14. fat-lazy-git

teaching isnt all its cracked up to be though.
    choson ninja kept going on about upholding the tradition of the grandmasters and all those centiroes of instructors,for us its true,i used to be quite wild with my techs,having fun and silly acrobatics,as an instructor we have to set examples in class so that people understand,its dangerous,its designed for causing much pain,its not in any tradition whatsoever to teach over a video website as the implications of any idiot getting the info to cause pain would be a responsibility i ( or most on here) would not want to be responsible for.

so anyone who wants to be an instructor....read these last few posts....clubs having down seasons and not making enough money, idiots who dont listen to whats being said ( for saftey reasons) keeping up with insurance ( not available for youtube students),making sure all equipment is safe to use,making sure that what you teach works without any excuses like"i wont throw them full speed coz they rebound" and thinking that the way atemi works is " when someones head bounces the brain bounces and they go unconscous"......yep guess thats why knockouts on the arms and body work too eh!.
    so much responsibility for REAL QUALIFIED instructors.it makes me sweat just thinking about it.

15. RAbid Hamster

RAbid Hamster Herr Trubelmacher

Dude you are SO right! Having the responsibility for my guys safety gives me the willies. But that fear does keep me from getting complacent or a bit casual with safety as I might if it was just me ... and with bl00dy great swords you have to be seriously on the case all the time!

16. koyo

It is incumbent on all "modern" instructors to pass on the art undiluted as it was taught to them.If, from the bottom of your heart, you know the true value of the art, then everything you do or say regarding the art shall be expressed sincerely and modestly.

regards koyo

17. fat-lazy-git

i found that other instructors only taught the techs that they liked.hoping other instructors would teach the other techs,thus watering down what they do.

i have a little saying " if you dont like a technique,its because your not very good at it,practice that particular technique,learn to understand how it works,then youll enjoy it".

which brings me back to chosonninja,where is the sylabus,the criteria that must be met to be able to advance to become an instructor?.
    surely the age old masters had criteria that had to be met?.
    so when you think about it, choson is the only one in this argument that is destroying tradition,and going against the most basic of rules for being an instructor.

18. koyo

I am tempted to say I was never taught despite training under numerous shihan. The reason is I was "taught" the techniques by having them executed on me. I was "taught " how not to get hit by being hit if I did not move properly. Bottom line training and experiencing the techniques and principles teaches you the art more so than being told. The actual experience is impossible on you tube.

Now it is catching arrows!!!!. TRY IT once then come back into the real world.

The bear and the hampster (MAP) visited my home last night. We watched some of the truly laughable techniques on display but realised that now they are being promoted as effective.

I can find no mitigating areas in this form of ego enhancement at all. We must have a duty to those that we "teach" and a respect for the arts.Maters such as Higuchi Sadahiro of the Maniwa Nen Ryu dedicate their lives to the arts. Below he is seen deflecting an arrow with a bokken. He has dropped his posture below the trajectory of the arrow, placed protection on the arrow head and is demonstrating timing.

Claiming to be able to "pluck" an arrow out of the air then posting it where some child may attempt just that is irresonsible NOT humble or respectful.

regards koyo

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 15, 2007
  19. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

The Arrow catching was hilarious, almost as bad as the shuriken deflecting with the sword.
    I simply don't understand his motivation. All I can think is he is lacking in self esteem and needs attention and adoration to bolster his own feeling inadequacy or he is trying to build a private army to overthrow the liberal evil government of California.

The Bear.

20. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

Bill,

disregard, my head is all over the place today. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Nov 15, 2007