blending kenpo with other striking styles

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by Batmanb, Aug 20, 2011.

1. Batmanb

Batmanb Valued Member

West palm beach,fl

2. blindside

blindside Valued Member

3. UrbanDaoist

UrbanDaoist Valued Member

Isn´t Rick Hernandez within a couple of miles of you? Now there is a guy with a wealth of knowledge.

4. Batmanb

Batmanb Valued Member

I just got back from three rivers class. Looks really good.

5. Batmanb

Batmanb Valued Member

Do not know of him.

6. kuntaoer

kuntaoer Valued Member

Rick Hernandez is a product of Professor Vistacion of FMA fame and CMA primarily Bagua.. He has a good program which incorporates both programs and is also a very good street defense instructor.. He has done several programs on video for Paladin Press.. One other instructor I know in the West Palm Beach area is one of my Kuntao instructors who lives in West Palm Beach..

7. Batmanb

Batmanb Valued Member

Got any links?

8. Kemposhot

Kemposhot Valued Member

I've known a few guys who have mixed arts over the years. Usually it ends with them quitting one or the other as it can be very difficult to balance the time table of two different classes/systems at once. Along with the difficulty of practicing 2 martial arts together at the same time.

It's not impossible though, just don't burn yourself out.

9. windtalker

windtalker Pleased to return to MAP

Might I suggest learning Kempo before deciding what it might need or not?

10. blindside

blindside Valued Member

What he said.

11. Demain

Demain Valued Member

You could blend with tai chi if you want more powerful strikes.
    You should also cross train in BJJ, it would complement each art better.
    Al Farnsworth blended wing chun into his Kenpo system.
    It was a good blend but he needed more BJJ to create a more well rounded style.
    Hard styes complement Soft styles.

12. T-Bag

T-Bag New Member

Early UFC competitor Keith Hackney effectively utilized a style known as "White Tiger Kenpo" which was a mixture of Ed Parker's kenpo and Tiger Style Kung Fu. I'm unsure of how long you have been studying but i think it is always best to really get a grasp on the basics before adding techniques from different systems.

13. shootodog

shootodog restless native

maybe you should try it before blending it. it's like cooking. you think of adding salt before tasting it. not a good idea. taste it first.

and try fma.

14. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

If you are a striker, to be a better striker will not improve your combat skill that much. If you are weak in the grappling art, it will be better for you to spend your extra training time to be both a striker and a grappler. Also your grappling art experience will change the way that you look at your striking art from a different angle, which is a very good thing IMO.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  15. Batmanb

Batmanb Valued Member

Thanks to everyone who posted. Your opinions has help me a lot. I like the three river escrima, and one of my dojos members trains there as well. The kenpo teach knowns both systems of kenpo taught by Mr. Parker, and trained under him.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  16. Batmanb

Batmanb Valued Member