Black Friday Madness in the UK

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Rhythmkiller, Nov 28, 2014.

1. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Ah, Musician's Friend has some good offers on Arturia controllers, but I didn't see any Akai ones :(

I guess GAK and Thomann work on volume over margins, so they probably can't afford to sell things cheaper.

2. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

I thought Black Friday was a US thing. An after Thanksgiving thing...........

Sorry to hear this atrocity is not limited to us.

I make a point to do NO shopping this day- not even food shopping. It isn't worth the discount to deal with the crowds.

And now that people are getting trampled to death and fighting, it is bad positioning from a self defense view.

3. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

You know what...before this year it pretty much was.
    This is the first time I've really been that aware of it to this degree and the first time I've seen it this bad.

4. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

I remember some stupidity last year , police being called out to a couple of stores , but , this year seems to be much worse.

5. Bruised Lee

Bruised Lee Valued Member

6. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Gee, seeing some of the footage I'm rather glad, that we don't have Black Fridays here :eek:
    I thought last year was already kinda creepy, but I think it actually got worse.

7. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Cheers for looking though!

I don't know Musician's Friend, I pretty much use Thomann all the time and local shops for strings and bits 'n' bobs.

I was looking at the Arturia too, but the Akai had slightly better reviews. It's all new to me...

Thanks again.

8. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

It's the first time that I've been aware of it existing over here, so I suspect it's a recent thing. Sounds like some shops are just copying it from the USA to get shoppers in the doors, because the date itself has no significance for us. And our Christmas shopping season starts in September when the kids go back to school! :rolleyes:

9. Bozza Bostik

They have started doing it here. They use the English term too and don't call it Musta Perjantai (Black Friday). I don't recall anything last year, but this year there's been sales in both brick and mortar and online shops.

It's quite odd really as they have their own special sales days outside of the usual post-Christmas etc times.

Again, I can't complain about it or I'd be a hypocrite. :)

10. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

I was just about to start a thread on this very topic! I'll drop it off here. (pics and vids and so forth at the link) At last, a great American consumerist holiday is exported! And to the UK of all places! :D ;)

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-...y-shudders-america-exports-black-friday-world

“An Unstoppable Zombie Holiday” – Humanity Shudders As America Exports Black Friday To the World

11. Bozza Bostik

Why "of all places!"? We/They pretty much copy everything the US does, good or bad.

Just scanning thourgh IG and saw a few posts for...."Small Business Saturday".

12. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

I'll be daggumed! (as my grandpapa would probably say) I don't follow UK culture except when it's mentioned in papers/sites I regularly read. (usually the Guardian or the Daily Mail) I'm more a Russophile and follow Russian media instead. Thanks for enlightening me. :)

13. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

14. Bozza Bostik

The Daily Mail and Russian Propag...I mean media???? You know the Mail's nicknames don't you?

You'll enjoy this.

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/

15. bassai

There's a pretty funny , but nsfw , spoof Tesco statement going round facebook saying pretty much the same thing.

16. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

I've read it. :D

17. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

That's exactly what I said when I saw that video too. Like, you realise that telly is crap to begin with.
    I admit tho, got me a new console with the sale :)

The ASDA Wembley is just round the corner from me, I suspected what the increased blue lights were. Thankfully I went to Sainsburys, walked past 2 old ladies debating what preserves to buy.

It was manic. :D

18. bassai

Seems locally to me it was a little better set up , everyone I've spoken to that ventured to Asda/tescos on Friday reported there being separate , heavily manned , ques for Black Friday stuff so that normal shoppers could go about their business unhindered.