Black Belt Children

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Sandninjer, Dec 6, 2013.

1. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

If I see a ton of black belts/ sashes at a school, I tend to think it is too easy to get a black belt there - I.E. Mcdojo. I don't want to see a ton of kids with black belts, but then again, I don't want to see a ton of adults in a school with them either.

And if the school has a particular lower standard to achieve such belt, that is their choice, but I would never train there. So, I don't lose sleep over it, but I honestly don't have much respect for it either.

My school has no junior ranks, but it runs slightly different for them. Kids have a lighter curriculum than the adults. But once they achieve brown sash, they have to catch up. Adults have one brown sash test. The kids have 3 degree's and tests for their brown sash. So, a kids who is 3rd degree brown sash has caught up curriculum-wise to the adult brown sash.

I have seen a few amazing kids who I would not deny a black sash due to age at my school. They have usually trained long hours since they were 4 or 5. But then again, they have usually dropped out before achieving black sash. They find other interests, things just get too tough, I dunno.

We have no black sash kids under twelve. Not because they are denied due to age, but because they just don't meet the standard yet.

There is one kid who is either 12 or 13 who is very close though. May test in a couple of months. I think she may be the youngest (by several years) to achive such a rank in any of my schools locations. (I have to check to see if my impression of this is true.) Has trained for many years, gives up all other sports to dedicate her time to this,. She understands the principles and is an excellent sparrer, comparing her to others in her same weight class. She also has one of the toughest teachers at the school (another student of my instructor!). When she gets that sash, I know she deserves it.

So yes, I think it is possible, but it is the exception to the rule. It shouldn't be commonplace. As I started off, this post, really when I think about it. the same really goes for adults too.

2. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Do they have to re-test at 16/18? That's what I think needs to happen to justify junior dan grades.

3. mattt

mattt Valued Member

We go back to the same two problems again:

1. You are judging what should be a blackbelt based on your criteria - which is not the topic of this thread. There are many many arts out there that you can receive a blackbelt in as an adult without such rigorous training, Bujinkan and TKD (certain schools I have seen for both) are just two from the top of my head. There is no way that the effort put in equates to something so monumental in these two arts in certain situations.

In essence the 'bar' or standard for blackbelt isn't consistent, and you are projecting what YOU think it should be, which isn't fair. I tried to highlight this in my 'my arts better than yours' post.

2. Kids train hard as hell. That boxer was just one I pulled up, but I have trained with a number of kids in BJJ that started in the kiddies class at 6-9 yrs and have been battling to get out there and fight the big boys. I train now with them and they do not have the same belts as the adults and it is a joke that they don't, in an art that is based on skill and ability to execute they cover all the bases, against grown men.

Look at this one - its even worse!!! She's a chick and only 12:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsfA_CG78Pk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsfA_CG78Pk[/ame]

I simply cannot believe that people think they train harder than I have seen some kids train.

Here's a 16yr old against a man:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPPHxGtxztA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPPHxGtxztA[/ame]

Now, the latter (BJJ) they also state that kiddies shouldn't hold a BB - here's the thing though, going back to what I said before skill level wise a Blue/purple level in BJJ is equal to or greater than a BB in other arts, and if a kid can beat a man even if the kid has to be ranked with baby ranks that implies based purely on ability, that his kiddie rank is equal to a grown mans 'real rank'

There are other videos of kids in BJJ beating BB in other arts. So its not a 'they can't handle it, the training is too much' argument at all.

4. Grass hopper

Grass hopper Valued Member

What they do is test for 2nd degree with the same requirements after the age of 16. Most don't do it but a couple have.

5. Sandninjer

Sandninjer Valued Member

I don't mean to derail the discussion but I thought you were a Ninpo instructor?

6. mattt

mattt Valued Member

I hold a high grade in Niinpo and a low grade in BJJ.

Interestingly my skill level, from a fighting perspective is probably not correlated directly to either rank if considered in isolation.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  7. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

It kinda is. The topic of the thread was:

My opinion on what a BB should represent thus becomes entirely relevant as well as my opinion on whether or not kids as defined by the OP should be given a BB in the first place, as is your opinion on whether or not anyone should care. Afterall, how can we form any kind of response if we don't make some defining judgements to begin with? :dunno:

That is probably a bit ruder than it was meant to be and I apologise if it comes across as so. But every teacher I've had over my time (spent almost exclusively with TMA's) have expressed their views about how the kyu grades are like the wick of a candle burning down - the lower the kyu grade, the lower the flame gets down the wick. Eventually, the flame is extinguished and from there you're left on your own two feet to start thinking about it for yourself, but you should have a good enough grounding in the fundamentals - what they are, their fundamental applications, the ability to actually perform them - to be able to find your own two feet from there. Within that view, it's hard to accept a child as defined by the OP having both the quality of training, the life experience and the understanding to be regarded as a BB. Which, again, isn't about fighting technique specifically. And by further consideration, I haven't seen any kid with the mental or emotional maturity to represent that ideal.

I think there may be some confusion between us. In my eyes, rigorous and honest aren't always the same. Hell I've seen karate schools where the students turn up to train every session for a couple of hours slugging away so hard they come away feeling sick at times, some would burst into tears and so forth. But at the end of the day, they were kinda fast and fairly strong but generally had poor technique because they hadn't taken the time to break down what the technique was and had little understanding of the purposes of the forms/technique applications/targeting/little ability to apply the techniques in a pressure testing situation. I wouldn't consider their training to be "honest" in the same way I wouldn't consider a school that does the reverse style maybe 1 - 2 times a week for an hour or so.

For me, honest training is the kind of training that, regardless of physical state, mentally engages you to push yourself, expand your understanding of what you're doing and to work at it. It just so happens that high intensity, rigorous training is usually a great for making people feel like they're engaged.

Can train hard as hell, doesn't mean they automatically will. Plus most kids only tend to want to put the effort in as long as it's fun (well, more so than most adults anyway). Which means usually if the training gets tough, the kids clear off.

They're also very good at mimicking what they have seen, but not so great at understanding applications.

Don't get me wrong, as a 16 stone 25 year old dude (last year) I got tapped out by a 16 year old 4 stone lighter than me when he grappled with me and I made a stupid mistake. Kids can be awesome fighters, sure. But again, based off my experiences, I can't judge a BB on just being a good fighter.

Yeah, fair play she was pretty awesome.

Again, some. That's not really representative of "most" kids though, is it?

Quick question though, why is that? Are there certain locks or certain higher risks of injury or something (which was the argument when I was practising Aikido why BB's shouldn't be below 18 or practice the wrist locks hard)?

I know I'm being a bit dim today, but I'm not sure how that kind of judgement call works. What am I missing?

Which probably means the grown man should put more effort into their training, especially in an art where grades are given out based on being a better fighter/good application of technique.

I didn't say they couldn't handle it, just that most kids are there to have fun and don't tend to want to stick around if the training starts getting too hard.

8. mattt

mattt Valued Member

To put it more simply, age itself is not a fair thing to limit ability on when we are talking about something that can be learned. I am not suggesting that the BB grade should be given to all children, but nor would I suggest it should be given to all adults.

I have to go up against all sizes in my class, as you do too no doubt. If I find myself against a smaller person I try my best to limit weight/power related moves, fight from the bottom, never use muscle to prevent a technique etc.

We have one guy who trains with us that is very small framed, perhaps even to the point where he could be considered to have dwarfism, he is a 'grown man' but has the physicality of a child - can he earn a blackbelt?

9. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Agreed. :)

The age of the children isn't the issue for me, it's more a matter of "have they had enough life experience to have the mental/physical/psychological discipline to try to train honestly?". No reason why you can't ask the same of any adult, but the lack of life experience most kids have had does work against them on this one (IMO).

Same, there's no point wailing on someone who can't fight back to the same level because you're heavier/taller than them.

The other way round though, I personally don't mind. I'm perfectly happy to kickbox/spar/grapple with guys bigger, stronger and heavier than me just because it means I have to work harder. Sometimes I even surprise myself by actually doing something OK - like being told by a kickboxing coach that my opponent about 3/4 inches taller (he was 6'4"/6'5") with longer reach was going to win trade offs with our fists every time, so I made a point to get in and hit him more than he hit me.

Based on size alone? I don't see why that should be a problem.

10. mattt

mattt Valued Member

So we agree its not size, good.

Now life experience.. by your judgement counts for a blackbelt, for others it might not -some would base purely on ability to execute a technique or knowledge of subject matter.

I think life experience is important only if the blackbelt includes a teachers license - if it is just a reflection of skill is isn't relevant to me.

Next up, on the subject of life experience, I have seen kids with more life experience than adults many times. If a child grows up with a significant traumatic event, or in adverse home situations they can become a lot more savvy -again not the norm - but I am not suggesting we promote every child to blackbelt, I am suggesting that it should be an option.

We have for another example a man with fairly severe mental issues in our club, autism I believe - he has nowhere near the ability to comprehend the nuances of life nor is a savvy as a child who has the street smarts that tough things teach.

Technically, to say a child we are defining solely on the metric of age. Typically this does bring in the following:

Size
    Internal Experience (training time)
    External Experience (life experience)

And yes, 'typically' a child should have less of all of these than an adult it doesn't mean that there are not adults who possess less of all of these. Furthermore, examples of those adults will include people who hold a black belt.

I base solely on ability- I take out the following from all equations:

Race
    Sexual Orientation

They all fall into the same category of exclusion from a criteria on something other than the actual ability to perform the task or tasks at hand.

11. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

The real problem (apart from dented egos from seeing kids with bbs) is that those kids may believe they are great fighters.

BBs for kids is kinda McDojo, no?

12. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

That could be said for BB, adult or child, in any art.

13. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

Yup. Sure could. Thread is about kids though innit.

But children are more likely to "believe"

Though saying that....I know some right muppets.

14. raaeoh

raaeoh never tell me the odds

All this kinda sums up what I said earlier in this thread. My kids have a very high level of knowledge at very early ages. They all lack the maturity to be BBS in my opinion. I purposely keep them from testing so that they will not be close to a BB until late teens. If they lack the discipline to stick it of until then, I will have been justified in my decision to make them wait. If they make it that far they will defiantly appreciate what they have earned much more than the 12 yr old who earned a BB by scheduled testing. Plus one of my Jedi knights has already switched to a new style after the mandatory 1yr try out period.

15. B3astfrmthe3ast

B3astfrmthe3ast Warning:Extreme power!!

ok well heres my thoughts, IMO i dont think anyones "BB" is Worth more than anyone else's may be more difficult to achieve; but not worth more. although i understand what is being said about the skillsets and combat effective material involved with each rank.

16. Trewornan

Trewornan Valued Member

In the kickboxing school I'm going to a black belt mainly seems to be about being able to perform a certain set of techniques. If you can do a spinning hook kick, etc to an adequate standard you pass the grading. Consequently we have children with black belts - I don't know exactly but I guess the youngest would be 11 or 12. If that's what a black belt means for us then why not.

Fighting ability has very little to do with it.

In sparring we have a kid of about 11 that comes along who's a purple belt. I don't mind sparring with him, I'm not learning much from it but hopefully he is. Obviously he doesn't have the reach or strength to really contend with me, a 6'2" adult.

Although he did try a flying front kick on me this week, I blocked it but he basically landed on my thigh . . . left quite a bruise.

17. aaradia

There are ways you can get something out of sparring in this situation. Find ways to really limit one aspect of your game and focus on one thing to work on.

Like, don't get out of the way with your longer legs. Focus on parrying and moving in with a short range attack response.

or work certain combinations. And you have to wait for those openings where that will work.

Or focus on fakes.

Obviously, it is a good time to practice controlling your power generation.

I don't know the rules of kickboxing, so I dunno what you do exactly.

But you can find ways to get something out of sparring almost anyone, if you just approach it creatively. :)
    Hmm, if it landed on your thigh and he left a bruise, that doesn't sound like you actually blocked it.:)

18. aaradia

:confused: Isn't their instructor in charge of when they test? How does that work? The instructor says they are ready and you tell him/ her no?

If one trusts a school enough to train there, it seems one should let the instructor do their job and make those decisions.

19. raaeoh

raaeoh never tell me the odds

Yes. He says they are ready. I say I am not paying for a belt. If he disagrees he waves the charges. :eek:. That being said a good head instructor always discusses testing with the parents
    1 we as parents pay the bills
    2 we as students pay the bills
    3 mom is a respected teacher in the school
    4 I left this one blank. Intentionally so that I can hear how I am wrong. No disrespect meant but a good parent should have say in their kids progress.

20. aaradia

I disagree completely. You pay the bills for quality instruction, not for control over the instruction. When money becomes the conrtolling factor of progression, that is when a school's integrity is affected to their detriment. Money should never control the instruction- which should be in the hands of those you pay to do it. Now usually, the argument is buying black belts for those who don't deserve it, but I think the opposite is also true.

A good instructor makes the decisions, and explains and communicates those decisions to the parent. Answers any questions the parent may have. But the parent is the parent, not the instructor.

If you pay for someone to teach, frankly I think you should let the person do what you pay them for.

In my school, when a child is a student, the instrucotor/parent does NOT control the testing and usually is not the instructor either. That way, the kid is being judged by an unbiased instructor. Mom being an instructor, but not the child's instructor, should invoke no special priviledges or decisions other kids don't get. If anything, she should understand better than most, the need to respect the child's instructor.

As a parent, you can take a kid to a school where their thoughts on juvenile BB's coincides with your own. But to go against an instructors thoughts is disrespectful IMO. And if you don't respect their decisions, you should go elswehere.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013