Black Belt Children

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Sandninjer, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Again. Martial arts does not equal self defence.

Also a lot of "bullies" don't give a sod about if you've studied something and often it makes you a target.

So following on from that.

How will martial arts educate kids in self defence?

Pick a system and use it as an example.

2. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Seriously? You have to ask?

3. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Thinking about it at age 5 might rule them out altogether but speaking from experience they need a grappling art which has a much longer learning process to be effective, high schools, rightly so, really dislike their pupils going to hospital with concussion regardless of who started what :)

4. Moi

The teenager wasnt trying to hit the young lad at all

5. ninjedi

ninjedi Valued Member

No, it's not. As I mentioned previously, older than 12 (high-school age), maybe a different story then. If a child under 12 is getting bullied, the best course is for you as a parent to intervene.

Do you have kids? My guess is no.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  6. ninjedi

ninjedi Valued Member

Now you are just trolling. I think you knew I meant equal in skill to an adult who also has a blackbelt.

7. ninjedi

ninjedi Valued Member

Then why don't they pit 8-year-old blackbelts against 30-year-old blackbelts at karate tournaments?

Here is what I am trying to say in relation to the original post: Kids under 12 can certainly earn a blackbelt, but it is not the same as an "adult" blackbelt. Most schools have a separate curriculum for kids, and nobody is under the illusion that a 12 year old with a blackbelt is going to beat a 30 year old blackbelt, even if the 12 year old can do his/her forms perfectly and they both have been studying the same amount of time.

8. Moi

I think locale makes a big difference as to whether winning a fight is a start or a stop to many situations.

9. Mazulu

Mazulu Valued Member

Thank you for giving an intelligent answer. back in middleschool, i had 3 fights against bullies who were bigger than i was. i won one of those fights because that bully turned out to be a paper tiger.

10. Moi

I reckon probably the majority of adult black belts right now can't fight. I'm guessing there's thousands of the flockers. If the kid can do the same, usually better, than the adult that usually stands next to him in class, then he deserves the same recognition
    Take the same, twice a week and a day on the weekends for 3 years blackbelt against a judo blackbelt, full contact kickboxer etc and there's generally only going to be one outcome
    Why worry about the age? maybe we should look at gender next?
    It's why there's weight categories in sport

11. Moi

Following any advice I give is usually a really bad idea
    I tend to cut through the red tape and do what works within whatever system is in operation. It's why I liked Wales so much :)
    Bad idea listening to me though x

12. ninjedi

ninjedi Valued Member

Not sure how old you were in middleschool, but again, we are talking 12 years old and under here.

13. Sandninjer

Sandninjer Valued Member

lolll