BJJAGB National Competition

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by hext, Jan 16, 2013.

1. hext

hext Valued Member

Hi!

Does anyone know much about the BJJAGB nationals?

Our club has joined the association and I was wondering what it was like from a Jujitsuka's perspective rather than the info on their website?

2. Kuniku

Kuniku The Hairy Jujutsuka

Hi, we've recently gone the other way, and left the BJJA lol.

Our association had already stopped attending BJJA events as I started, so I've never been to one. But our national ruleset is based off of the BJJA rules - apart from the Random Attacks which we have gone with the Euro Budo rules to better compete in the european championships etc.

What is it you want to know? I can answer things based on the Jikishin nationals, which as I said - I imagine is similar rule sets etc

3. hext

hext Valued Member

ah I see.

Just wondered what to expect from the continuous fighting..

There is a specific gi that you have to have to compete and wondered if it was worth it?

Do you know of any open tournaments that follow the same ruleset?

4. Kuniku

Hmm that sounds a bit newer, they always used to have sparring and ground fighting seperate. Possibly they use a variation of the sport jujitsu rules, light contact, if it goes to the ground you're given a certain amount of time before being stood up and carrying on...

We don't have a specific Gi that has to be worn, but you are supposed to have all the relavent badges in place - for example in the fight based competitions I use a BJJ gi but have my club, association and governing body badges sewn on.

And no, I don't know of any open competitions in the format, I don't think that the Jikishin nationals are considered 'open' although we do have some clubs from Belgium come and compete with us. I think the problem stems from about ~80% of the Jujitsu in the UK being BJJA, the rest is Koryu who as far as I know don't do competitions or Jikishin.

Jikishin and BJJA don't tend to get along too well - the usual politics stuff =p

5. oneman

oneman Valued Member

6. Kuniku

thats the one, must say I don't like the fact that they make you wear a competition gi...

7. oneman

oneman Valued Member

I was asking OP if that is the right competition, but if that is the one then my club are having a hard think about going again after this year. Also there have been changes in the continuous fighting and ground fighting rules which apparently my sensi is not overly happy with.

8. Kuniku

would you be able to post the changes you talk of?

9. hext

hext Valued Member

Yep, thats the one!

i'm not aware of any other competitions available for jujitsu that offer the same continuous style of fighting, standup, throws and grappling..

and yes I agree with Ian, the fact you have to (buy a competition gi does suck although I can see a uniformed type/weight has its merits to keep everything equal.

10. Kuniku

we don't use the term continuous sparring/fighting - what exactly do you mean by it? as in the fight continues on the floor after a throw etc?

11. hext

hext Valued Member

tbh I'm not 100% either

I've been told it's certain time striking only, then on to throwing/grappling

12. Kuniku

ah yeh i've done one like that, was like 30s striking, then the ref will stop you and get you into grappling position for 30s of grappling (unless a throw is performed) and then 30s of ground fighting. was rubbish and I hated that format tbh.

I prefer using am.MMA rules myself - jsut gum shield and MMA gloves, no strikes to the head or on the ground and if it goes to ground the fight just carries on there. 2 x 3 minute rounds

13. hext

hext Valued Member

14. Kuniku

no, no ground strikes (did say :p)

every summer our association has a 'summer holiday' weekend away in cornwall, we have a little comp there, and the rules we used for that my first year down there were my personal favourite, if a bit light on the contact side of things for my liking - MMA mits and gum shields only, light contact, if it goes tot he floor it carries on and if there is a tap out both competetors are stood up and the fight restarts until the timer is met.

yeh i've fought once under something very similar to that rule set you linked, can't say I liked it, you lose all momentum between the different stages - as it is hardly 'continuous'

my sensei told me that we are looking at adjusting our competition rules for our nationals this year, just because as more people now want to compete we're really struggling to actually fit all the competitions into the allotted time. so they are thinking of combining the stand up and ground fighting (currently 2 seperate events) into one event - I'm really hoping they go with something close the the amateur MMA rule set...

15. hext

hext Valued Member

sorry, you did say I must have glanced too quickly over the post :)

I must admit I have found this tempting but thought I should walk before I run..

Sport JuJitsu

16. Kuniku

looks interesting ^_^

17. oneman

oneman Valued Member

I think you score points for stand-up which is fixed time. In the throwing section if you get a throw then you score more points (sacrifice throws are not allowed but I see them all the time as people pull guard) and the fight continues on the ground else after more fixed time you start on the ground where a sub scores more points and finishes the fight else you score points for hold downs.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  18. oneman

oneman Valued Member

There are several, it depends how far you are willing to travel and which organisation you are a member off. My club is only affiliated with BJJA though we follow jikishin syllabus. We go to a competition in May at southend where last year we had 1,200 competitors. That is a one day affair with coursework in the morning and competition in the afternoon normally finishing around 6 or 7pm and that is with 12 or 14 mats. I believe the nationals is two days with saturday being coursework and sunday competition day.

Then there are plenty of smaller only type events. For example I go to a ground fighting competition every year that is only around 20 to 30 people.

And of course there is the unofficial unregulated, no-insurance type stuff happening where you need to be 'in the know'

There is plenty going on, ask your sensi, they should have know what is available to your organisation. Also check on google, if there is something you fancy then again speak your sensi. Most competitions are welcoming to all but there are a few organisations that are funny about inviting non-affliated members.

19. hext

hext Valued Member

That's great thank you one man! Do you have any info on the Southend comp?

20. oneman

oneman Valued Member

This is the hosting club, http://www.wakarishin-jujitsu.com/contact.html

I believe the date this year is the final Saturday in May, Bank holiday weekend.

If you are up to it, there is a world competition in October in South Africa,

http://www.wakarishin-jujitsu.com/documents/UNJJ_22nd_coursecomp.pdf

I should warn you that some clubs take competition very seriously with dedicated training sessions just for competition.