BJJ reading material and videos for newbs?

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by Hapuka, May 13, 2015.

1. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

Can anyone recommend me any good reading material or videos (YouTube) I've just started BJJ and I would like to learn more about it.

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

3. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Sign up to Kesting's mailing list too, he sends out a lot of really useful stuff - various PDFs and videos.

4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

+1 for Kesting; Also you should invest in "BJJ University" by Saulo Ribeiro...simply the best BJJ book on the market

5. holyheadjch

It's an amazing book - and really beautifully done too. So many martial arts books look like crap, it's nice to have one where the quality of the photography matches the quality of the content.

6. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

+1 more for saulo's book. simply the best bjj book on the market. i've been able to take his rear mount, knee-on-belly escapes and implement almost immediately.

plus the story with helio is pure gold.

i want to go to san diego to train with saulo only because of his book, never mind the man's a legend.

7. peterc8455

peterc8455 Valued Member

^This

8. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I'm going to buy that book tomorrow, endlessly recommended.

9. Hannibal

You don't have it??? i have teh shocked!!!

10. Pretty In Pink

It's been one of the few I haven't go around to.

OP, the Gracie bully proof stuff is some of my favourite. Gracie Combatives stuff I also like, as it translates well to the street, as well as MMA.

11. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

i also like andre galvao's 'drill to win...' book quite a bit, only for ideas on solo drills.

12. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

I have kindle and sadly bjj university isn't avalible in digital format, but I have thought about getting jiu-jitsu unleashed by Eddie Bravo or Mastering ju jitsu by Renzo Gracie. Any opinions on those books?

13. holyheadjch

BJJ University is still worth having. There's really nothing else that comes close.

14. Hannibal

Mastering JJ by Reno is basic but solid

15. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Get the hardcopy, seriously it will be well worth it.

Also watch the documentary choke, which is on YouTube for free.

And anything with rickson in.

16. Pretty In Pink

I've got that one, it's alright.

17. Hannibal

Ro yes "Ultimate Fighting Techniques" books are very good too actually

18. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

I'd be wary about watching too much YouTube when your a newbie, there's a lot of terrible stuff on their, find out who your teachers teachers are and look for them teaching or competing on youtube instead

19. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

+1. The Gracie Combatives are the gold standard of BJJ, nay, martial arts instructionals IMO. Informative, easy to understand, excellent production quality and multiple angles, broken down in to easy to follow sequences.

Although as others have said, it's best not to overspend time or money on books or learning materials. A lot of beginners waste too much money (and spend wayyy too much on fancy gi's and/or rash guards). The OP will get most out of mat time.

20. Pretty In Pink

I watched LOADS of BJJ videos when I started. I don't regret it, but it might not be for everyone.