BJJ: Height -- Advantage or disadvantage?

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by theunforgiven, Oct 12, 2006.

1. theunforgiven

theunforgiven New Member

I just started BJJ at my MMA gym, im a fresh white belt. I was wondering... Im very near 6' 4" and 155lbs, is this an advantage for me on the ground?
    I know its great for my Muay thai and boxing and kenpo...
    Im already feeling extremely skilled after 3 x 1.5 hour classes. I spared against a blue belt my height and did quite well defensively (however he has nearly 100lbs on me, so didnt do so well on the offense. But in my weight class will this be an upper hand in battle?

PS: thanks for all the wonderful help guys and gals. Im completely new to this site and many of you have helped me learn so much. :love:

2. 1bad65

1bad65 Valued Member

IMO, being that tall is an advantage. And I am average size, btw. Many people have a harder time passing a tall guys guard than a short one. Also, taller guys can body triangle people easier(and I HATE that). Taller guys also have an easier time taking someone's back. The big disadvantage though, is when somone has a TIGHT sidemount, taller guys tend to have a harder time recovering guard.

3. TheDarkJester

TheDarkJester 90% Sarcasm, 10% Mostly Good Advice.

Thats a question I'm also very curious about because I will be taking up some BJJ soon and I'm 6'8. I always was under the impression BJJ favored the shorter squat type person.

4. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Kendall Grove seems to make out quite well at 6'6"

He's like a frigging spider, that guy

5. TheDarkJester

TheDarkJester 90% Sarcasm, 10% Mostly Good Advice.

Thats the same guy that put a hurtin on Ed Herman tuesday night right? the guy from Tito's camp? I remember catching the last part of that fight and it was amazing watching him turn right into a triangle choke.

6. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Oh no. You're thinking of the Canadian bloke. I can't remember his name. Fantastic fighter though, you're right. That whole sequence was very impressive.

Kendall Grove fought straight after that. He fought an ex US Marine. Submitted him in pretty short order, I seem to remember.

Stuart

7. theunforgiven

theunforgiven New Member

Then the advice would be to definately avoid the side mount? What kind of side mount is more difficult for me? the one where they have me turned on my side? holding my power arm around my neck? cant remember what its called.

8. Ghost Frog

Ghost Frog New Member

Most people adapt their style to their height. Tall people often get a great guard game. Look at Pe de Pano, for example.

9. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Getting too technical for me, I'm afraid. I'm an FMA guy. BJJ is pretty new to me. Sorry. :eek:

10. theunforgiven

theunforgiven New Member

I also posted this in the general forum if you would like to post your suggestions there. It seems you might have a good discussion with those who are replying to my post.

11. theunforgiven

theunforgiven New Member

No problem, Thanks APoweyn.

Any more opinions would be appreciated.

12. 1bad65

1bad65 Valued Member

Sidemount is when you are on your back and he is on you chest-to-chest across you. Kinda like an L. And the stuff I said is GENERAL, everyone is different.

13. Cloud9

Cloud9 Valued Member

Can't think of too many styles where height may be a disadvantage

14. bcullen

bcullen They are all perfect.

Funny, I had just started a thread about my experiences with people way out of my weight class.

Side controll is good but full mount doesn't seem to work well unless you are working MMA rules and can strike. Making space is not a problem for someone with 100lbs on you.

Spread out when you have top, it makes it real hard to roll you. However it gives them a good amount of levarage for kimuras and armbars so be ready to make yourself real compact when needed.

15. theunforgiven

theunforgiven New Member

WOO HOO! Good to hear. Im currently training for MMA competitions. Minnesota has many many many fights a week. And its incredible money.

This advice helps much, thanks once again!

16. Cloud9

Cloud9 Valued Member

Incredible money? What's the top prize for an MMA competition? Don't he UFC guys just get $100k for the top prize? (plus some endorsement deals)

17. gornex

gornex Valued Member

I think chuck liddell got like over 200k for his last fight win or loose.

18. theunforgiven

theunforgiven New Member

Chuck makes slightly over seven figures a year, plus endorsements, sponsors and advertisements. Watch the new Xience Commercial on Spike TV.

And local stuff is like 200 bucks for winning a standard bout (Depends on the venue) there are places in MN that sell seats for 25$ basic and 50-100$ for luxury. Winners in a typical bout can make upwards of 1k US per fight. Tournaments can pull an amazing 5k US for single night tourney winners plus a title and possibly prizes...

It all depends on how balsy you are. If you want to roll with the big dogs, you cant be afraid to be bitten. :cry:

But soon Ill be trying to have a fight ever 2 weeks.

In Minneapolis alone there are a few venues, but wisconsin, iowa, chicago and surrounding states have many. (im willing to travel for some $$$)

I hope to get in UFC sometime. (yeah its about the money).
    -Rick

19. theunforgiven

theunforgiven New Member

PS: its only incredible money if you have as good of insurance as i do. Hospital bills can be expensive. :D

20. gornex

gornex Valued Member

or if you live in canada