BJJ for Judo.

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Prizewriter, Jan 11, 2016.

1. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

Didn't want to de-rail the other thread about BJJ/Judo/Krav but an interesting sub-conversation emerged about newaza and different approaches for groundwork in Judo and BJJ.

There are a lot of videos about the best Judo to implement for your BJJ game, but not as much about reversing the roles.

What BJJ strategies or moves might work best in Judo, once the match goes to the ground?

I've seen triangles work very well when a BJJ blue belt came down to my old Judo class. He caught a lot of people with them quite quickly and used the Ryan Hall squeeze (relying on your legs to squeeze rather than neck pressure to finish the choke) as he wasn't allowed to touch the guys neck, but it worked well for him.

2. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

armbars i think would work quite well. some two-hand collar chokes too. i think the main thing is the technique has to go on quite quickly, or the referee won't allow stalling and stand the competitors back up--in competition. i did some judo at a dojo that was old-school oriented, even called itself a jiujitsu dojo. it was very newaza heavy there, and there was a lot of cross-over with what i do in bjj.

3. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

I felt like the first thing to do is just not panic and control the pace of the match.

4. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

Maybe the experience Judoka here could answer this... I know grabbing the legs is illegal in standing, but can you grab the legs on the ground? For example, would the Toreando pass be legal in Judo?

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcrOBNTiYpg"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcrOBNTiYpg[/ame]

5. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

It's legal to grip the legs on the ground, but you have to leave a clear break between standing and ground. If you toreando straight off a failed sacrifice throw, for example, you could well end up DQ'd.

6. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

You wont be DQd in club level competitions for touching the legs in standing.

You can touch the legs as soon as you are both in ne waza (which is a slightly grey area)

7. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Follow on's from failed sacrifice throws work great, and just general newaza transition ability.

Judoka tend to attack (sometimes very well) chokes from inside closed/open guard, so countering these is a big training target.

Turtle escapes, and pinning escapes too.

8. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

I did catch an experience Judoka with some stuff I learnt on a Braulio seminar relating to mount retention.

What about BJJ sweeps against Judoka? Obviously Hip Bump from guard, but the way I do the scissor sweep involves me taking a collar grip, then pushing against their neck as I sweep. Would that be a no-no in Judo?

9. Dead_pool

Elevator, helicoptor and scissor sweeps work great, judoka will often press in from guard so any sit up closed guard is unlikely.

Judoka tend to be good scramblers too, so sweep and finish the sweep solidily or you'll find they'll jump back to top and pass.

They tend to have very strong grips, but grip in the same places they do standing up, so there's some gaps to take advantage off, but they will try and choke you whilst inside your guard.

Look at the BJA syllabus online and you'll see what I mean.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
  10. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

When I used to train Judo I caught them with triangles from the guard a lot. Weirdly, I hit them more on relatively good Judo guys than even the completely untrained, somewhere in European Judo the Gracie Gift is proliferating like a virus.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
  11. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

I've had that experience before but it was by a very low ranking Judoka so it was easily handled. That said I've seen "choking passing" work effectively in BJJ (SB didn't get a tap here, but that is because Miyao is a total defensive freak and most other BJJ'ers would've tapped out at some point). I might try it next time I wander in to a Judo class.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NpUXKHOOsI"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NpUXKHOOsI[/ame]

12. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I call it a Judo Choke as that's the only people who tried it on me. It's actually a really good one. There is a video in youtube of a judo BB tapping a BJJ BB with it.

13. Dead_pool

Re cross choke or eziekial choke from closed guard.

- It's reasonably easy to defend if you see it coming, but (much like can openers) you can't be lazy with it.
    Tucking the chin, extending the body, high guard, foot on hip guards, armbar entry, elevator sweeps etc are all there.

Generally in BJJ its used to bait a guard open, and maybe pass off the easy armbar entry, but that's a dangerous game to play in comp.

The above vid seemed to have eziekial from a standing stack off the ClosedGuard, that's kinda different.

Judoka love a cross choke to flattern and pass halfguard too, if you check the BJA syllabus online, alot of them are there.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2016