BJJ and Standup

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by Connovar, Feb 16, 2007.

1. Connovar

Connovar Banned Banned

I have been doing BJJ now for about a year and love it. Primarilly we have been doing ground work athough we have been shown some basic standup takedowns such as single and double legs and some ankle picks. To supplement my training I have been looking for either a book or DVD which would focus on those standup techniques applicable to the bjj game. Any suggestions.

2. pauli

pauli mr guillotine

neither will do you the slightest bit of good without a solid foundation under a focused instructor. if you want to get better at them, supplement your bjj with judo or wrestling. or just ask your instructor to spend more time on such things.

i can sit here and look at the pictures and animations on judoinfo all day long, but without a real partner and a real instructor, it's totally meaningless.

3. Connovar

Connovar Banned Banned

I had wrestled competively in high school aeons ago and as such am comfortable with single and double legs, but I am interested especially in the standup aspects of bjj. The use of the gi can potentially modifies the game and does the change in stance . The judo stance also is different so I guess I am looking for something especially oriented towards bjj standup such as in competition. Thanks.

I agree with you that books or DVD's alone are inadequate but I am just looking for something as a supplement.

Or perhaps I am just making the standup part more complicated than it is.

Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2007
  4. rubberband

rubberband Valued Member

Become friends with a wrestler and a judoka...

take care, steve

5. Atharel

Atharel Errant

If you are interested in with-gi-BJJ standup, Judo is the answer. The only difference between BJJ standup and Judo standup is that some Judo throws become less viable due to landing you in half-guard or exposing your back on the way down, and you have to watch out for guard pulls. As you train these throws, it becomes fairly obvious which ones to avoid in BJJ. Don't include these throws in your tokui waza list. And there you go, you have an awesome BJJ standup game.

There's a reason Noguiera, Leozinho, and a lot of the Gracies are all Judo blackbelts too...

6. callsignfuzzy

callsignfuzzy Is not a number!

Outside of what's been suggested, there's a book called "Guerrilla Jiu-Jitsu" by Dave Camarillo. He was a world-class Judo athlete before learning BJJ under the Gracies. It's good on how to incorporate Judo basics into the BJJ game, and also includes a section on flying techniques as well (flying armbar, flying triangle, etc.). Some other things of note are that he shows how to defend leg takedowns when the opponent wears the gi, and how to get an opponent from the low crouch possition into a more upright one for throws.

7. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

It's already been said... but getting the chance to train with other BJJers that know Judo and are willing to show you - as opposed to just using it on you... :D
    will improve your standup.

There is a directness and a power in a judo grab and throw that you don't often find in other arts.

In BJJ comps you will undoubtedly come up against BJJers who have a Judo background... you can hopefully learn how to counter that before you get thrown.

Take it slow though... Judos injuries are common. Especially for BJJers who take a bit of Judo. I find the mindsets are quite different - I don't see many Judokas who get injured in BJJ - but the other way around it seems more common. Perhaps because of the force of a Judo throw - and the distance to the ground.

In addition to Judo - you might want to take a look at some Sambo stand up.

Just my 2 cents. :)

8. Fishbone.

Fishbone. Banned Banned

In our BJJ sparring we start on the ground.. Because it's all ground.

9. slipthejab

Not all BJJ is ground though. A common misconception. There are plenty of takedowns in BJJ that start standing. And there are standing submissions that can be used as well. The comps I've been to - we start standing... even though I am a low ranking belt... the match starts standing.

10. slipthejab

I have no idea.. but if you want to find out. Start a thread asking that specific question instead of dragging this one off topic. :)

11. piratebrido

piratebrido internet tough guy

I do Judo as well and I don't have any real problems with any pure BBJers, or any strikers in a stand up grappling situation. Quite a few folks do the ground and do the striking and skip the middle part :D I don't have the ground and certainly not the striking yet to really to take full advantage of this, but I am sure I will get there. The best folks in our class have strong wrestling. Some have brilliant jits and some brilliant striking, but their strong wrestling helps them loads.

12. RunningDog

RunningDog Valued Member

Pay attention to this man. My BJJ instructor is a little annoyed at the Judo school I train at, because several people from his class have started there and ended up injured. Be careful. Don't go full tilt for a good while.

13. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

Do you think that BJJ guys get hurt in Judo because they don't know how to fall? We do some very basic breakfall drills at my BJJ school, but nothing major, and we don't do them often. Our experience with falling has more to do with takedowns and takedown defense.

14. pauli

pauli mr guillotine

if bjj guys (or anybody else) go to a judo school and get injured because their breakfalls suck, it's a failure on the part of the judo school, not the bjj guys. nobody should be allowed to stand up before they know how to fall, regardless of background.

15. RunningDog

RunningDog Valued Member

My personal Judo accident had nothing to do with breakfalls, it was a more experienced Judoka falling full force on my knee and twisting it with an audible 'crunch'. "Did you hear that?!" - the other guy.
    Result: 1 missed snowboarding holiday, at least 30 missed classes and counting.

That said, poor breakfalling is the most likely way to mess yourself up, that much is true. So to anyone starting up: If you aren't taught immediately how to breakfall, ASK.

16. piratebrido

Judo gets get hurt too. Judo is a rough sport man. At times you just can't breakfall properly. Landing on your shoulder is a common one, know a guy who is out at the moment this way and I was out last year I done in my rotator cuff for about 3 months.

17. Oversoul

Oversoul Valued Member

I'm sure I have no idea what you mean... :p

18. Connovar

Connovar Banned Banned

Thanks for all the great advice folks. Have a good one.

19. slideyfoot

slideyfoot Co-Founder of Artemis BJJ

Having chatted to BJJ guys about this before, it seems that judo is a lot more injury prone than BJJ - judo is what resulted in my most serious injury to date (kept me away from full-on training for about a year, and yeah, was the shoulder), after only my second class in the sport. Kinda put me off judo, although thats unfair on my part given that I've only tried the one class.

20. piratebrido

Aye, it can also kill the knees over time. Body can take a battering. However, many still do Judo in their 70's. However poor technique never corrected can have bad results over time. I don't believe this to be the case with BJJ. There is no lifting or falling.