bjj and self-defence

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by ANVIL, Aug 7, 2004.

1. ANVIL

ANVIL New Member

why is it when people enquire about the effectiveness of bjj in a self-defence situation, people always talk about being vulnerable to kicks from the attackers mates etc.? i 'm by no means disagreeing with that point, but why is it assumed that the attacked person is alone and the attacker has a load of mates with him? you could argue that it's worse case scenario, but wouldn't that be a gun or something?

just curious... :Angel:

2. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

True!

3. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Then again, if you and your best mates who you always go out with all go to the same MA club, it's a different matter :D

I definitely rate it because you are one up on the average attacker, and you need as many points as you can get especially if you are being attacked by more than one person. Sometimes, a good wack to one person can send the others fleeing (my instructor), you never know what is gonna happen. It's best to have something in your corner though.

4. Timmy Boy

Timmy Boy Man on a Mission

I suppose it can help, it's just that whenever my mates and I have gotten aggro from people the odds are always stacked against us, because people never look for fair fights. Often, however, these people are too scared to actually start on us (this is more to do with my mates than me, hehe) so I suppose they might do a runner if they saw their big guns get pasted.

5. JKogas

JKogas Valued Member

One thing that many don't consider is that, the BJJ practitioner isn't always alone either. Thus, when the fallen guys friends come in to join the party, the BJJ guys friends (who often also train) then get a chance to play as well.

Fun for everybody then.

-John

6. siuleemtau

siuleemtau New Member

One on One Bjj is very effective because you take the fight to your oppenent, no messin' about. But on the streets, the last place you want to be is the floor. Yes there might be those cases when your in a club and some guy comes up and *WHAM* you put him down and choked him out, but in my experience, there is always multiple oppoenents and the best way to fight these is to be on your feet, looking for an escape route. Also look how long it takes the gracies or other grapplers to finish there fights, somtimes 11 minutes! A real fight needs to be finished as quickly as possible, to avoid damage to yourself. anyhow thats my veiw on the matter. :)

7. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

when they are fighting other experienced, professional fighters. first time in a judo class my instructor tapped me out in about 5 seconds.

8. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Regardless, people tend to dismiss groundfighting in self defense in terms of what you want to happen.

"You don't want to go to the ground! He could have friends!"

But wanting to go to the ground was never the contention. The contention is that it happens whether you want it to or no.

Stuart

9. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

I still amazes me how many miss this fact.

10. Gyaku

Gyaku Valued Member

Amen!

11. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

Yoda, would you say that even if he does have mates around, there is lava and broken glass on the floor, etc. etc. it is still useful to have a good knowledge of how to assume dominant postitions in a fight?

12. Gyaku

Gyaku Valued Member

I thought it couldn't be said better, but KE, you've just given the best reason to learn to work on the ground!

13. Reiki

Reiki Ki is everything!

I think that's when effective ways of control come into play on the ground - like knee ride for instance - for being able to see what his other mates are up to but remaining in control of the attacker, before they rush you or worse.

Guns vs no guns - depends which country you are in. We do not allow ppl to carry guns on the street in our country thank goodness!

14. cxw

cxw Valued Member

I agree with those who believe ground fighting is an excellent insurance policy. I don't know how to myself yet, but when finished with Thai boxing I'd definitely like to do some BJJ or Judo.

As for the statement that there's normally multiple opponents, I'm not entirely sure of that. A lot of violence happens in the home - being attacked by partners, flatmates or intruders. In a one v one situation why not go to ground is you're strong there?