Bike and cycling advice

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Rhythmkiller, Jul 18, 2014.

1. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

if you're just getting into it, why not buy used instead of new? you can probably make do with any old 12- or 18-speed bike. it'll run you less than a new bike, you can get your legs under you to make sure you really want to do it. then resell the used one and go buy a new one if you're still really into it.

many cycling shops recycle old bikes, ensure the gear and brakes work properly, then resell. might be another option instead of hitting up classified ads.

i bike share in chicago using a service called divvy. but i also have a used 12 speed that i use to putz around the city. the nice thing about used and older bikes is they still work great and that thieves are less likely to target them.

2. Giovanni

cycling is great. i've been cycling for a long time. when i was a teenager i saved up my money and bought an awesome gitane, which i rode for over a decade. but which got stolen when i moved to chicago. so lesson learned for me.

but now i commute to work everyday using a bike share that i mentioned. it's only 3 miles one way, so a nice easy ride in the morning and evening.

the problem with chicago is the weather. i made a pact that i wasn't going to ride if the temperature dipped below 20 F (-7 C). Lol.

3. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

I really enjoy cycling to work now I only live 2 miles away :D

4. Rhythmkiller

Rhythmkiller Animo Non Astutia

Yeah someone recommended it to me, double glad I picked this one a the price. Didn’t want to overcommit in case I didn’t like it. 16 miles a day totalling 80 a week. Saw those gel seats, they’re only a fiver so think I’ll grab one.

Apparently Carrera are the most stolen brand in Britain.

I bought new because I have no clue about bikes, have no friends that are into bikes and advice for me is thin on the ground. Anybody could quite easily rip me off when selling me their bike and there isn’t a privately owned bike shop anywhere near me. Not that I have anything against buying used but I prefer a guarantee so bought new, besides the layout for the bike wasn’t that much but the accessories I bought were a small fortune.

Baza

5. Giovanni

nothing wrong with buying new.

good luck with your riding bud. it's a great sport.

6. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

I know the thread is a bit old but I have to comment on this bit by saying "Ahem, try telling that to Martyn Ashton and friends..."

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZmJtYaUTa0"]Martyn Ashton - Road Bike Party - YouTube[/ame]

That's a £10k+ Pinarello Dogma, as used by Team Sky in the 2012 Tour de France. NOTE: One sweary in the video.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhabgvIIXik"]Road Bike Party 2 - Martyn Ashton - YouTube[/ame]

During the making of the video, Ashton broke his back and is now paralysed (see the "making of" video) so Danny MacAskill and Chris Akrigg took over. Damage to the bike consisted of a pranged chainwheel and a popped tyre through shear G-force on the loop.

Road bikes aren't as fragile as people think ;)

7. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Can any of you cyclists (uk I'm guessing) tell me is it legal to undertake a car standing at traffic?

8. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I can't see why you shouldn't, unless there are white zig zags at the side of the road?

9. Moi

So when a stopped car leaves a gap and you use it running over the invisible cyclist, who's fault?
    Shouldn't overtaking be on the outside except in a one way street?

10. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

"Filtering" on a motorbike is legal, ie going between lanes of stopped traffic, effectively "undertaking" one lane.

I'm applying the same idea to a cyclist, who I'm assuming can cycle up next to a standing car as long as there is space to do so and there are no white zig zags to stop you.

Have you flattened someone Moi?

Mitch

11. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Nice bike. The chainrings aren't big enough for my liking though. I think you'll quickly find yourself spinning your pedals and not gaining any extra speed.

I'd get it's big brother. Not that I'm deliberately creating a shopping dilemma in your mind.

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Dawes-Discovery-Road-Sport-1-2014-Road-Bike_70171.htm

If you've never done a 16 mile round trip commute before on a bike. Pushing a bike with a 50 tooth high gear on the crank will be tough for the first week or so. But you'll adapt quickly if you're doing it every day.

12. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

It's entirely legal. You'll even see the police do it on their motorbikes. In addition in the UK we have Advanced Stop Lines for cyclists. Which are supposed to create a safe zone for cyclists to wait in while traffic is stopped at traffic lights. Normally there is a short cycle lane on the left hand side leading into this safe box. Most cyclists will filter through standing traffic into this box.

The idea is that cyclists get a chance to set off before traffic overtakes them. Since setting off is when you're most likely to wobble and fall. ... Supposedly.

13. Moi

No I missed him by either me flooring it or him stopping suddenly & falling off his bike? Combination of both?
    Just can't see how it could of been avoided if the cyclist was in the right?