Big & Bigger Brother Theory

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by sean, Mar 24, 2006.

1. sean

sean THOR!

Recently taken from a news journal:

"It seems that everywhere we go, whatever we do, we are being watched. Our location and actions can be traced. The people we meet can be recorded. Even what we eat is documented. Am I too paranoid? Am I paranoid enough?

Who is doing this? Should we be worried? Read on and decide for yourself.

* Video Surveillance
    * Banks
    * Telephones: Landline
    * Telephones: Mobile
    * Satellites
    * Computers
    * Loyalty Cards
    * Internet RIP Bill (UK)
    * hitbox.com monitor software on your computer

Conspiracy Theories

There are hundreds of conspiracy theories floating around on the internet - it seems to be a great propagation medium for things like this.

I'm often intrigued by these theories, some are quite plausible, others simply outrageous. Here, I've added my thoughts to the great internet conspiracy debate. I've commented on my personal favourites and have a few exclusives from The Spy Swat.

* Were the original moon landings faked?
    * Are our Governments trying to hide the presence of alien beings or spacecraft?
    * Why did the USAF 'retire' the SR-71 Blackbird reconnaissance aircraft from service without having a replacement aircraft?
    * What is hidden away in Area-51 (Dreamland)
    * Does speed really kill?
    * Why public transport isn't necessarily the answer
    * The Harwell Conspiracy: Why was there a Government cover-up at Harwell?"

At first, I could not see any link between this subject and philosophy, but as this is a concept, I feel it belongs here for discussion.

Opinions on the Big Brother conspiracy vary, but it would be interesting to see from the viewpoint of Martial Artists.

My initial personal opinion was that it had been overhyped in the oh so subjective tabloid newspapers. Although with continuing free software readily available i.e. Google Earth, it seems easy believable that programs far more powerful are available to whoever has the money to input.

Ultimatley, is it right to have your actions noted? Especially in times of conflict.

2. airweaver

airweaver Valued Member

people seem to think that by having there details on some government database that theyre somehow going to be used against them, which is just a little bit paranoid imo, like these ID cards- people think that there personal liberties are at stake, but the government pretty much know everything about us anyway coz of passports, driving licenses and any other official documents.. so whats the big deal?

and surveilance cameras on every street? id rather them be there that not, id rather there be some evidence of an old lady getting mugged and beaten up than there not, i mean its like people have something to hide by saying they dont want to be watched... *sheesh* your not being watched, its not like they have someone staring at them all day, theyre more there for accidents and crimes.

i think a lot of people just say they dont want all the monitoring going on because they get to ramble on about there basic rights for a few minuites and exercise explaining there views for a bit, thats all. if people really cared about it theyd be protesting or trying to burn down the houses of parliament. people dont like the idea of being complaicent.
    this big brother stuff is just a byproduct of the technological age we live in, its not some hidden agenda out to spy on us, if your really thinking like that, cut down on the weed and burn all your david icke books.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2006
  3. sean

sean THOR!

Very true!

Being able to excercise their human rights is something thats almost become fashionable (again since the 70s :D ).

The idea of being 'tracked' does frustrate me, but living in the 21st century in a highly populated area, it seems like it's the better option to be accept the surveying and its benefits rather than fight them for their downfalls.

4. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

It seems to me that the people who complain about the ID cards and easier tracability are either hippies looking for something to complain about or dodgy dealers who will get caught out by it ;)

5. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Yes. Have a nice day. :cool:

6. sean

sean THOR!

Note: I didn't make any paranoid assumptions on the 'Big Brother' idea, this was taken from already written text (not by me :Angel: )

Im not crazy... honest... they're whatching me tho... :D

7. Nope.
    http://www.lunaranomalies.com/fake-moon.htm
    Enjoy!

Whatever the Government is working on. More than likely new technology for our military. There's no reason to suspect anything other.

....What sort of question is that? There's plenty of people killed by people driving too fast. And people dying from the drug speed. Whichever one you're referring to.

8. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

I still don't see any link between this subject and philosophy, so I moved it to Off Topic. :) Carry on.

9. medi

medi Sadly Passed Away - RIP

Anyone watching me clearly has way too much time on their hands.

10. sean

sean THOR!

Thanks for moving it ;)

Ok, you NEED TO READ THE POSTS!!!! I did NOT, I repeat NOT write the journal, these ARE NOT my views, they are mearley here for disscussion. Jeez.

Besides, the question referring to 'speed', is a metaphor for other deaths occuring.

11. medi

...and he's discussing it :rolleyes:

12. Sever

Sever Valued Member

Speed doesn't kill, it's the crashing that does it :p
    *Seriously hopes the government haven't tapped his webcam*

13. Durkhrod Chogori

Durkhrod Chogori Valued Member

How many times have you seen the film "Enemy of the State"? ;)

DC.

14. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

So what are your views. I only ask because a very polite gentleman with an English accent turned up at my house and asked me to ask you. He said you're in absolutly no danger at all and you will definately not feel a thing. :D

15. Moony

Moony Angry Womble

Errrmmmm........actually that's the job i did for 3 years befor i started my teacher training course. However the CCTV control room i worked in had over 100 cameras so it was hard to watch them all constantly. A CCTV system is only ever truely effective if there's a human in the loop with the ability to take control of the cameras when required. The sorts of incidents i've had to record and take various forms of action on are:

Shoplifting
    Missing Persons
    Suspicous Activity
    Door-to-door sales men unlisenced/distraction Burglaries
    Public Order - Fights, assaults, general drunken stupidity
    Lost Kids
    Demonstrations
    Special Police Operations
    Indecent Exposure
    Firearms Incidents
    Road Traffic Accidents.

Best thing i watched: Armed responce units from another county that had been tailing a van leaping out and surounding the vehical....late at night so it provided sport for the local drunken chav's untilled the armed officers leapt out at which point they scattered amidst burbery kebab flying.

Worst thing: A car accident (one christmas morning on night shift) that later became a fatal one and seeing the people involved bounced on the car when looking at action replay.

Generally though people going about their lawful buisness have nothing to worry about since CCTV is only there for public/community safety and protection. Yes you might be watched from time to time as the operators play about with the cameras as they work but it's only as they monitor crowds and people for suspicious activity and things that merrit further responce.

Moony

16. bcullen

bcullen They are all perfect.

...and equipment with very good glare reduction. :D

17. medi

*rimshot*

18. sean

sean THOR!

;)