Best self defence low kicks

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Tai Sabaki, Jan 12, 2008.

1. RoninCelt

RoninCelt Valued Member

Well, maybe yes, maybe no. As you say later, kinda depends on the skill of the kicker. Groin is a hard target I've found if using ball of the foot (large weapon to get in small, shifting area), but easier to strike with toes (wearing shoes). Regardless, it'll make him cover/respond so could set up another tech.

Again, a few highly skilled people might be able to break long bones with a kick, but agreed, not likely.

This might be true if used as an initial move, but if it's the second or third movement in the fight, and one has ones hands on the other's upper body, a kick combined with push-pull of unbalancing can easily off balance and so take down an opponent.

The stomp kick is a finishing move to me. If both fighters are still standing, very hard to land since the telegraph is so obvious.

Good point, and one we low-line kickers must take seriously.

2. Emil

Emil Valued Member

I was thinking more of a scoop kick to the groin.

But do you really want to be in a fight long enough to be able to throw three kicks? I like to finish as soon as possible.

Agreed.

Em

3. RoninCelt

RoninCelt Valued Member

Yeah, that's probably the only kind I'd use (w/ toe, or even shin/instep)--and they're very effective if open.

Well, don't want to be in a fight longer than 2-3 seconds. But I can generally throw three good low kicks in that time. And if he blocks low, I'm going high. Guess it's in what one practices most. But, yeah, I'm with ya, get out ASAP. :D

Backatcha, Em. :)
    RC

Last edited: Feb 4, 2008
  4. february

february Valued Member

The most underrated kicking technique for teh s7r33t IMO, is the lowline front kick to the shin (a proper kick I mean, not a flicky little front-foot jab). When the person kicking you is wearing shoes, it genuinely is enough to stop you in your tracks, plus it's fast and difficult to see coming, and the shins are an easy target (easier than the groin).

I've practiced this loads with 2 sets of baseball shinguards on and still copped some heavily bruised shins.

5. elektro

elektro Valued Member

This is also good with the inside of the foot as well as the ball/toe - as in the striking area you can kick a football with. A bit like a flickey - type sweep except striking the shin.

6. february

february Valued Member

Good point. If you can kick a football hard, why not apply it to a shin. The most important part is to make sure it can be done quickly and effectively, with no "wind up" or pull back, ideally, you want to be able to kick powerfully with your front foot.

The way I was taught (the general JKD method) is to use a pendulum type shuffle and lean back to facilitate hip-snap and body weight/alignment behind the lead kicking leg.

7. RandomTriangle

RandomTriangle Valued Member

Ok question.

How many people here have actually used a roundkick to the thigh in a real self defense situation? Notice i didn't say "fight."

I've never seen a round kick used... Not saying it isn't possible...

BUT... i've seen a lot of fights (like any doorman has) AND fights don't always start at kick range... to be honest i'd say 75% started where there was 2 inches between the people involved (posturing, taking smack,etc) or in a room that didn't have enough space for you to pick up your leg.

i've also seen a lot of sucker punches... in fact the few fights i've seen in "open space" have all involved someone getting "jumped" and there being no distance allowed for a kick.

Does that mean you can't kick in a fight? No. i just wouldn't consider them a primary offense tool... maybe a secondary...

Again... i'm sure some people have used them with success... but i imagine the number is far less than the people who use punches, elbows, knees, headbutts.

8. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

a good low line kick can draw the OP's attention down then a nice finger jab followed by _ _ _(you fill in the blank)

Gron kicks and a well placed kick to the front of anyone's knee will be effective

9. WalkingThePath

WalkingThePath www.gplus.to/jayboyle

This is pretty much what all the SD texts say, and is true of my experience as well. A well placed knee, elbow, or hand technique is easier to employ than a kick at the closed range of most street fights. However, I still train kicks, and will use them where necessary and possible. Don't neglect a weapon because it isn't the easiest thing........

10. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I can't remember who but somebody said Muay Thai kicks and I agree with them I'm starting it soon hopefully and I've done some research and their low kicks are devestating. If I could branch off low kicks a little bit I'd say elbows to the head, muay thai clinch knee strikes, and crotch shots are all good.

11. wires

wires Valued Member

kicking - sepa / stomp / oblique kick to knee

A great kick to use is a sepa stomp to the knee.

You use it off the rear leg.

Swing it in a straight line, directly at your opponent's knee. You don't really "pick it up" before kicking like you do a snap kick - you just swing it from where it is on the ground, in a straight line, to your opponent's lead knee.

As it approaches the knee, turn the heel inward, so you are now hitting him in the knee with the cup of your foot's arch.

As it lands on the knee, straighten your leg out for the stomp.

If you catch your opponent's knee in the arch of your foot, the stomp will s tomp the knee cap to the outside. Won't necessarily cripple him, but it will hurt a lot. There's also a great deal of psychological effect to this move.

This is a great kick to throw after your cross lands.