best not to be an armed burglar in some parts of the USA

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Brixtonbodunwel, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Brixtonbodunwel

Brixtonbodunwel Valued Member

http://youtu.be/bp5gAY6aIjA

Fighting off two blokes one armed with a hunting knife who is breaking into ones home. Intestering comment by the Oklahoma Attonery on the incident.

2. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

Why I consider mothers up there with soldiers and law enforcement on the "People you don't screw with" list.

3. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

4. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

...the call lasted 21 minutes?

Begging your pardon, but where does she live in America that's more than 21 minutes from a Donut shop?

5. xtech

xtech New Member

A lot can be learned from her resolve to protect her baby.

6. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Is that a serious question? What exactly is your perception of America? Dunkin Donuts and McDonalds around every corner, at least one per 10 people?

7. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

I was referring to the length of time it took the police to get there. 21 minutes on a call as urgent as that one is scandalous. Surely that isn't a normal response time?

8. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Sometimes it is. Judging by the looks of her house in the video she probably lives in a small town that's an hour drive from the city. There are a LOT of places in America where you're fending for yourself for the first 30 min - 1hr of an emergency if anyone can come help you at all. We have a lot of cities but we also have a lot of rural areas, and a lot of places your closest neighbor is a 20 minute drive away.

9. warriorofanart

warriorofanart Valued Member

The response time here in the U.S. fluctuates depending on where you live. When I used to live in Detroit, Michigan the response time in some areas where horrendous. There are some areas where the police won't come into at night. I moved to a city that's literally a block away from Detroit and the response time was less than 5 minutes in most cases.

Where I live in San Diego the respond time is very quick, but then again I live a few blocks away from the police station.

A friend of my dad was stabbed and chased for over 20 MINUTES in a city in San Diego. When the cops arrived the assailant tried to attack them with a metal object and was shot three times. Both he and the victim survived. This was 2 days ago.

10. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Seriously? :confused:

11. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

Johnno,

That sort of sounds like what happens when the police are asked to go into a Traveler's encampment here. A decade ago , on the summer solstice, they took over the hill behind my house. The music could be heard at villages up to 10 km away. Needless to say it was tress loud at mine.

When asked what would be done we were told it would take the constabulary from 2 counties to deal with them and that was not an option. The music lasted continuously for the weekend and then they left leaving a huge mess.

Not so different after all :' P

FWIW

LFD

Last edited: Sep 5, 2012
  12. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

That's very different.

In your example there is a temporary situation where the people in question have chosen to be there but will move on. It may not be ideal, but at least the police can contain the problem.

Whereas if you've got a neighbourhood where the police will not go at certain times, then the inhabitants are left without the protection of the law. It's the sort of thing you expect in places like Baghdad or Belfast, but I'm shocked to hear that it could be the case in the USA.

Sure, there are places in every country where the police wouldn't WANT to go at night, and will take extra precautions when they do. But to not go there at all in any circumstances would be to admit defeat. Is that really the case?

13. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Pretty much yeah. Is it not like that? :)

14. ITaikido

ITaikido Valued Member

15. Bigmikey

Bigmikey Internet Pacifist.

I live in a rural area. We have ONE cop assigned to patrol our town and that only happened a few months ago. He's essentially a county deputy but he's "ours", lol... fire and paramedics are from neighboring towns - luckily they're close enough for a response to be less than 15 minutes, but police can take upwards of half an hour.

16. Bigmikey

Yeppers.

17. Bigmikey

Visit Detroit and you'll get it, lol... But dont do that without getting your affairs in order first... and assembling an armored convoy...

18. Bigmikey

I drive passed three on my way into work every day. So thats 1 every 10 miles on average - but those are just the ones I can see. The first one is literally 1/2 mile from my house. And that doesn't include the Burger Kings, Taco Bells, KFCs, Wendy's, pizza joints, beef stands, gyro stands, and Subways... jeebus, no wonder Im fat.

19. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

I thought this was going to be a story of a one-armed man wielding a hunting knife fighting off two burglars. :(

Also, there is already a thread on this.

20. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Silly Answer: I do not eat donuts....if it was a donair shop that is completely different though

Sensible answer: Calls to dispatch can take about 5 minutes at least to patch through to a unit - and then you have cross town traffic, other calls you are attending at etc... so 21 minutes is not that long a time (depending on circs). It can take about 3 minutes just to get name, address, nature of call and so forth

The time that should be looked at is the time from the call being assigned to the attendance of the unit