Best knife defence?

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by idols11, Jun 8, 2015.

1. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

I think it depends on how much forward pressure you put on and how your footwork is. Obviously if you stand there and statically receive the strike then this is true, but if you press in and have good sensitivity, while moving around them if they try to withdraw you'll just pin their arm to their chest.

2. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

I do too. I like how they use the prison style ice pick attack too :evil:

P.S. it is the ice pick attack with the elbow kept in and tight to the body.

3. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Forearm to forearm seems to be a mechanically equal configuration, if your already responding to an attack this automatically puts you at a disadvantage, relying on justbeing better then the armed angry guy in front of you isn't the best tactic, but it might be the only one you have....

I'll have a look through the link and see what the context is. At a rough guess, without access to healthcare, (even with really) I'd be wearing light armour everywhere.

4. Ben Gash CLF

If I thought I'd face blades regularly I'd wear bracers for sure.

5. Dead_pool

There exactly where murder victims get defensive wounds so yep I'd vambrace up if I was expecting even the occasional stabbing attack.

6. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

I am still curious to know how many knife attack are still done from a high downward thrust :rolleyes:

7. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Saw a clip a couple of weeks ago of someone doing just that, he then proceeded to drag the victim around using the knife that was stuck in his back.

Awful video to watch and I'd be surprised if the victim survived.

8. 47MartialMan

I wasn't saying about it for a rear assault (or not saying it doesn't happen)

I am saying, how often is this in a actual frontal attack

9. Dead_pool

It matches the grab a stick and swing downwards attacks that are hard wired into our ape brains.

10. Dean Winchester

This was a frontal attack.

Also the " :rolleyes: " in your post seemed to indicate a degree of derision.

11. Ben Gash CLF

Often, and certainly many of the nastier ones I've been involved with. It's easy, powerful and effective.

12. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Are you in a street gang? :thinking:

13. Ben Gash CLF

No, I'm in trauma care.

14. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

It's de rigueur to mock anyone who trains against anything other than prison-style sewing machine assassinations, isn't it?

15. Ben Gash CLF

If you're stabbing someone with a sharpened toothbrush then that attack makes sense, but with a kitchen knife the Psycho attack is more effective as a primary attack (if they've already dominated the victim then punch to the chest is fairly effective).

16. 47MartialMan

Your post: Saw a clip a couple of weeks ago of someone doing just that, he then proceeded to drag the victim around using the knife that was stuck in his back."...Seems like a attack from the rear

Also, my :rolleyes: is that of how many schools teach this high downward thrust as the main knife attack emphasis

I guess, the attack would reflect the attack style of the region :confused:

Yes, I been to a few schools and seminars that refer the attack as the Psycho Attack

17. Ben Gash CLF

As Deadpool said it's a pretty instinctive motion found in martial arts from around the world. What makes you think it's not common in America?

18. 47MartialMan

Because I had resided in a few large metropolitan US cities and come to know not only police, but also EMT. The stabbings were not of a downward thrust

But that said, this isn't to state "never" and there is environment, or global differences

19. Ben Gash CLF

It's the logical way to stab someone with most knives. It allows for powerful, repeated striking. It allows you to keep the knife clear from being entangled in their arms. It allows you good access to the neck and thorax, and crucially allows you to exert enough power for good penetration with knives not designed for stabbing (and thrust-centric knives are illegal in many places). I've seen people stabbed in the heart with cooks knives and survive, and I've seen people with bowel hanging out survive. Open haemopneumothorax is a lot dicier, as is mediastinal injury.

20. Dean Winchester

MartialMan,

Have you ever done knife defence and seen someone close with the knife wielder in close quarters?

If so what happens?