Best aikido video i ever seen

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by WhereMyRiceGo, Jun 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Spooky

Lord Spooky Banned Banned

2. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

3. aiki-jo

aiki-jo New Member

Aikimac, I'm sorry, I've been to that school. It is absolutely the worse Aikido dojo I've seen yet. The dojo itself was VERY nice, but what was being taught was nauseating.

Is there another that you know of?

4. aiki-jo

aiki-jo New Member

Thank you for the quick response. The problem is there is no school in the Washington DC/Virginia/Maryland area. The closet one is Deleware, which is about 3 hours away. Is there another affliation with a different website?

5. aikiscotsman

aikiscotsman Banned Banned

Aikijo said-
    No thanks mate id rather learn a martial art that is truly effective, as i told you before pal, draj is ok if your stronger than you uke, ive had it proved to me in my dojo from your style, they could not move when held properly or tried to move us that was very funny time. Def dont need to waste any more time learning something as useless as that mate, its far to easy to stop.
    as for the dancing, your correct there but its only A FEW CERTAIN STYLES THAT MOVE THAT WAY, WHICH KIND OF PROVES YOUR COMPLETE IGNORANCE TO AIKIDO. DO YOU REALISE FOR THE THIRD TIME THAT AIKIDO STYLES ARE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT AND THAT SOME HAVE NO CONNECTION TO OTHER AIKIDO STYLES/ I SOME HOW DOUBT IT , I DOUBT YOU VE PROBABLY DONE ANY AIKIDO OR JJ FOR MORE THAN A COUPLE OF CLASSES ANYWAY, SOUNDS LIKE YOUR JUST FULL OF HOT AIR.

Once agian you just proved your complete ignorance and inexperance of real aikido, full resistance is true aikido its the only way to truly see the tech and see your mistakes, ill tell you one thing mate my aikido has much beter grips and resistance and techs thn any draj ive ever seen.
    Anothe reason im pround of my art is that we have a female student who has been with us for 4 years, after her first year she was grabed from behind at a cash line machine and had a knife put to her throat, now this girl is the most calm petite girl you would ever meet such a good person. she simple used the body movemnet she remembered and got out and away without a scratch and she can rememebr the look on the attackers face of shock as she just disapeard Now if she had been doing something as useless as draj and tried to move she would have been easliy controled by the atatcker.

Time you learnt a real martial art mate. and try a real style of aikido. OH IM SORRY I FORGOT YOU HAVE SPENT YEARS LEARNING ALL 10 DIFFRENT MAIN STYLES OF AIKIDO GOD YOU UST BE REALLY OLD.

Sorry mate but your post dont seem to be working here. i bet you have another name tha you use for the jj forum and are saying the same there, as your probably crap at both schools.

6. SmilingBear

SmilingBear Valued Member

AikiScotsman said:

Don't take this the wrong way, I'm not defending DRAJ or Aikijo (I have no direct experience with either) but it's hard to see the real distinction between what your chastising aikijo for and what you're doing.

You both seem to be taking limited knowledge/contact with another art, and then generalizing to the entire style and everyone within it. You may have stumbled accross the most inept DRAJ practitioners within a hundred miles, and Aikijo may have seen lots of bad Aikido (even at Saotome's though that seems far fetched) but neither of you have demonstrated (on this thread at least) the breadth of knowledge necessary to make the sweeping generalizations about the other art.

-Bear

7. aikiMac

Your comment is well-taken, but I think Scot is illuminating the hypocracy, rudeness, immaturity, flame-baiting, and stupidity that Aiki-Jo has been displaying in this Forum. By Aiki-jo's own admission, his entire basis for every statement that he has made about aikido is that he watched one aikido class. He did not participate in the class, he watched it. And it wasn't 20 classes or 10 classes or 5 classes, it was one class. That's all. And from that foundation, he comes here and rips up everything about aikido like a professional internet troll.

I can think of a lot of bad words and phrases that describe this picture. A few of them I just gave. "Foolish" is another one. "Dishonest opinion making" is another. I cannot think of any good words to describe the act of of someone with no experience in a a particular art form, publicly criticizing that art in a forum set up for the discussion of that art by people who practice that art.

Viewed in that light, Scot's comments are fair.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2005
  8. SmilingBear

I agree that aiki-jo has posted in a way that reflects poorly on himself, and I don't have any issue with aikiscotsman (or anyone else) taking him to task for them. My point is that in the course of the rebuke there is no call for the aikidoka on this board to lash out against DRAJ in general, or characterize it as a useless, ineffective art; when the problem is with a single practitioner's postings.

aikimac said:

My position is that the comments about Aiki-jo may be fair but those about DRAJ are not. Beyond that it's a little self-defeating to insult the art widely acknowledged as the progenitor of the one we all train in.

The whole thing has sort of a "pot calling the kettle black" and "cutting off your nose to spite your face" feel to it.

Just my 2 cents, your mileage may vary.

--Bear

Last edited: Jun 24, 2005
  9. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Here's my 2 cents worth. Unless anybody has anything POSITIVE to add to this discussion then don't add anything. Any further derogatory comments posted in this thread by anybody will be deleted.

Now getting back on topic. The original video clip being discussed contains a short sequence of bokken work. I'd like people to offer there opinions on that. I personaly thought it was a good example of Aikido. The use of the bokken was precise and efficient and both Aikidoka appeared to not only know what they were meant to be doing, but capable of pulling it off as well. Please discuss.

10. SmilingBear

Wolfie said:

Not sure if this is directed at me or not, but since it mirrors my language I'll assume it was:

I don't consider my previous posts derogatory, I was just pointing out that we need to be careful how we phrase things or perfectly valid message content (I agreed with most of Mac's post) can get lost in the medium used to deliver it. If you or, more importantly, AikiMac took it any way other than that I apologize.

--Bear

11. aikiMac

You're cool, Bear. :)

12. aikiscotsman

Hey guys its called playing someone at there own game, the differnce between the 2 of us is that im aware there are many different varations now of draj and aikdio some have no connection to other styles of the same. aikijo cant even tell us what he did, the guy just wants to talk down to us. where is he now, Oh by the wayy i was very serious about what i said about the 2 arts. If everybody had just ignored him from the beggining he would have got the message. Aikido may have came from aikido but that was over 80 years ago, alot has happened since then, Osenseis techs where solid and very effective, my teacher was the same , i will defend it to the end.

13. SmilingBear

Aikiscotsman,

Just wanted to mention that I intended to include you in my early apology. Hope I didn't cause any offense when I was discussing your recent posts. You're of course entitled to your opinions about the arts, and I wasn't trying to invalidate them.

--Bear

14. leeless

leeless Handshaker extraordinaire

Bear, we all love you. Know it. :)

15. aiki-jo

aiki-jo New Member

I'm not sure who is playing a game. I'm just giving an opinon, just like you're giving your opinon.

I'm aware of the same.

I'm here! If you believe my opinon's are talking down to someone, then you must have something to talk down about???

Hopefully the end, doesn't mean an altercation on the street where YOUR Aikido is going to fail....

16. aikiscotsman

The same with all arts my friend as ive said before mate it worked for one of my students and ive had plenty of fun in the streets, believe me Scotland is a hard country.

Just rememebr not all schools and styles of draj are very good just the same as aikido and all arts, the point about watered down techs is really funny if your in scotland please come tomy dojo and show me how my tech is watered down or less effective, as ive said ive had plenty in the pastsay the same and ALL failed to prove there point

17. aiki-jo

aiki-jo New Member

It's easy to defend from a wild hook punch or a weak (non-resistance) wrist grab. I'm sure you've seen plenty of those training in Aikido. I'd like to see an Aikidoist go down to the ground with someone. That would be a serious wake up call.

18. Dave Humm

Dave Humm Serving Queen and Country

Ok..

ENOUGH !!!

Have you any bloody idea how LAME you sound every time your finger hits the submit button ?

Do you know WHY the wrist grabs exist in Aikido, and no, it's not just a 'training' method.

The default weapon carried by most waring (and many other) classes of feudal Japan was the sword, the safest place for a sword to be is in its saya thus wrist grabs were used to temporarily arrest the freedom of the person attempting nukitstuki, which is why incidentally, tenshin and tenkan movements are seen in many koryu sword arts because they allow the efficient drawing of the blade whilst the right hand is being partly immobilised.

In a modern context, katate-dori is used as a basic method of connection between two people, to facilitate the learning of a set of movements under the auspices of safety however, the root of katate-dori is sword orientated, if you knew anything of any consequence, you'd know that and wouldn't make troll based comments (frankly I'm amazed you've lasted this long without an admin banning your ****)

Secondly, you address this forum and the Aikidoists here in a 'superior' manor which I personally find both arrogant and frankly pathetic. Regarding your "down to the ground" comment... I'm a former Prison Officer working within Cat A (High Security High Risk) facilities. I've had more REAL "down to the ground" than you've had hot dinners and my aikido served me quite well..

Grow up and stop being a troll.

!!

Last edited: Jun 28, 2005
  19. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

OK, time to put a wristlock on this thread... Its run its course.

Nighty night

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.