Best aikido video i ever seen

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by WhereMyRiceGo, Jun 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WhereMyRiceGo

WhereMyRiceGo Banned Banned

2. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

What video, where? Seems to be an aikido site, not ninjutsu. If there is a vid there, what is it called?

3. Prophet

Prophet ♥ H&F ♥

So I checked the website, and found 17 pages of videos of aikido stuff :eek:

4. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

See what i mean?

Kids eh, under the age of 16 they dont seem to be able to read, ninjutsu - aikido, they dont sound very similar to me!!! :bang:

5. Lord Spooky

Lord Spooky Banned Banned

Nope no Ninja...hey there's an interview with Vlad on there so I gues all is not lost....well for me anyway :D Ha and there's clips :D :D

Still can't find Ninjustu clips though :bang:

Last edited: Jun 14, 2005
  6. WhereMyRiceGo

WhereMyRiceGo Banned Banned

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MY BAD ...i put it in the wrong section..maybe cuz i go in this section to much ahaha

but anyways i dunno how to move this to aikido section so if a mod can u do the honors?

anyways ..click the link
    >go to video clips
    >4th page
    >last video

LOL i seriously dont know what i was thinking i even put "Best NINJUTSU video eveR" lol sorry guys

7. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

8. MuayKiDo

MuayKiDo Che!

:eek: OMG, is for real??? That was the most ridiculous aikido movie ever! Does he really present this demonstration as something that would happen in reality? LOL, but sad actually.

9. Dave Humm

Dave Humm Serving Queen and Country

That is NOT Aikido regardless of what it is billed as.

IMHO Another typical example of crud taught to an unsuspecting group who know no better.

I've seen the name of the person demonstrating this rubbish elsewhere and if my memory serves me correctly its supposedly "combat aikido" of some description hence the combat trousers etc.

Crud will always be crud.

Dave

10. samoz

samoz New Member

:eek:

I find that very offensive, because you are assuming how intelligent a person is simply because of their age. Granted, most people under 16 aren't geniuses, but slamming reading ability? Come on . . . Besides, there are plenty of kids under 16 who are smarter than some adults . . .

So don't judge people based simply on age because that is a crappy way to judge someone. :woo: :woo: :woo:

11. Lord Spooky

Er I think you'll find the guys in Combat trousers are Systema not Aikido :)

12. MuayKiDo

MuayKiDo Che!

LOL, THIS is systema? I know this guy on the Dutch aikikai forum who is boasting about his systema cross training! But the way he describes it makes it look far more martial and practical than what these dudes were doing. Maybe this teacher failed in both aikido and/or systema and then decided to start a waaay beter and far more street effective MA :D

And who 'invented' combat aikido anyway?

13. Dave Humm

Some one who prolly couldn't hack the long term study of the traditional method.

Regards

14. Dave Humm

I very pleased to hear that, at least some of us Aikidoists can't be accused of any of that crap.

Dave

15. Lord Spooky

Not wishing to turn the Aikido section into a Systema forum, sorry mods,
    but have you had any experience of Systema other than these video clips??

16. MuayKiDo

MuayKiDo Che!

I don't, and what I heard of this systemaka I mentioned didn't seem to fit the movie fu of the mentioned video. So, do you consider the clip as a hallmark of systema? I wouldn't want to put it on equal terms with my aikido training, that's for sure.

17. Lord Spooky

Well the thing for me is the "guy" in the clip is Vladimir Vasiliev one of "The" names in Russian Martial Arts. So I'm not really going to say "na sorry Vlad you don't know what you are talking about" :eek: :D

Can I put this to you; lets take some one with no MA knowledge and show them some Aikido clips, btw I have nothing against your Art did it for a short time and liked it a lot :) , this person will either go "WOW" or "er is he really doing that or is his partner throwing himself over when he has his wrist twisted".

If it's the latter then you would probably explain about receiving ukemi in training? Stick this same person on the receiving end of an experienced Aikidoka and they’ll have no doubt about why the Uke reacts how they do.

Same goes for Systema people look at it and go “what the hell is that” you have to feel it. We have people turn up at our class and give us funny looks and do the old “what if I do x,y,z,” , which I’ve seen you guys have had to put up with before, my instructors response is “well I don’t know, why don’t you have a go and we’ll see”
    He’s not being arrogant it’s an invitation to have questions answered by doing and feeling. I’ll be the first to admit Systema doesn’t look good on video unless you have an understanding and can see the principles at work, hence many people give similar reactions to some of the posts here.

I’ve taken up enough space in this section and like I said have no wish to turn the Aikido forum into a Russian MA one :) . There’s a couple of Systema instructors on MAP who will gladly answer questions just post em in the “Other” forum.

Thanks

18. Dave Humm

Conceded, point well made and taken.
    Indeed another good point however where you argument falls over is that people who do study aikido, at least those like myself who have a considerable amount of time in the art, know all to well what good ukemi actually is, the ukemi demonstrated in the clip is frankly god-awful not to mention at times down right dangerous.

Case in question​
    [​IMG]

One of the uke's thrown, IMHO based on my experiences teaching ukemi, over rotates at least on two occasions without any further contact from the person making the application, this means he should be executing what should be a left side ukemi but he does the opposite despite what the fall he's taking requires (resulting in a playground style over the neck type forward roll). Now, if the pace of the demonstration was much higher and the person in question had no alternative but to 'adhoc' his ukemi for some reason then fair enough but, that demonstration was very slow paced with minimal post technique contact from Vladimir Vasiliev.

As an experienced MA, I wasn't impressed by what I saw although I do accept and concede, that small amount of visual information possibly doesn't give the right impression of the art yet, one would have expected given the audience present on that particular Expo, Vladimir Vasiliev would have pulled out the stops to have 'impressed' those (and anyone else) watching his art for the first time, would you not agree ?

Kind regards

Last edited: Jun 16, 2005
  19. Lord Spooky

Hi,

In a rush so I'll just touch on one point and get back to the rest after :)

Personaly I think Systema shouldn't be watched it should be felt. One of the problems with the demo is that it's not at full speed which makes it look a bit "funny" :eek: as it's a demo the participants, to me, were moving in the way we would in training. My instructor moves the same but when it's took up a few levels everything becomes quicker. The waves and circles are all made smaller and to be honest you don't see whats happened.

Russian falling is well different to Japanese Ukemi that's all I can say :confused:

Cheers :)

20. Dave Humm

Dangerous is dangerous in any language or country mate

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.