Belt Loop Mystery?

Discussion in 'Judo' started by Scaramouch, Mar 16, 2004.

1. Scaramouch

Scaramouch Lost Soul

Came across a photo on the Judo Info site of 2, Kodokan 10th dans. See link, scroll to bottom of page -

http://www.judoinfo.com/mifune.htm

Note how the belts are tied, one end in a loop. Never come across this before. When you see old pictures of Kano (see picture above on the link) it looks like his belt ends are looped or tucked away.

Does anyone know the significance of this? You could imagine its either so your opponent can't grab the ends of the belt or may be it serves some other aesthetic purpose? I guess if you're a Kodokan 10th dan who's going to argue how you tie your belt!

2. SamuraiFire

SamuraiFire Banned Banned

Maybe these tenth dans just enjoy being adorned in a pretty little bow :D

3. dosandojo

dosandojo New Member

I have also noticed high ranking people that wear the belts tied wrong, or at least wrong compared to what we/I have been taught. In Japanese styles, they say to wear the belt loose and low on the hips (for proper breathing)...While in Korean styles, they say to wear it mid to high, and tight....

Last edited: Mar 26, 2004
  4. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

Yeah,

"No blows below the belt." - So, wear it as high as possible. :D

5. Osu

Osu New Member

Uhm, maybe the ends of the belts are so long to hold the 10 dan stripes that the belt will hit em in the face everytime they do some wild training...

6. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Nice and loose so my belly can flop out :D

7. Natcall

Natcall New Member

Belly Holder

Belt tying from far east I'm chasing two guys from Jidel for belly belt tying holder of the year. Oh I'm third for now LOL :Angel: