Beginning Martial Arts

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by hongkongfuey, Sep 18, 2003.

1. SixthVictim117

SixthVictim117 New Member

McDojo???

I have a question for some of you more experienced martial artist. I train in a MA academy but after hearing all kinds of things about McDojo's and Black Belt factories, I'm worried that I may be attending a McDojo :bang: ...The reason I suspect this is because, I started a few months back enrolling in adult classes. There are about 10 other adults in my class, in a variety of ranks...anyhow, I joined almost in the middle of belt testing intervals, I attended for a little over 2 months and tested for my orange belt and passed very easily. I learned one kata (First Basic) and a few simple kicks and that was enough to pass a belt testing. I think it was a little to easy to obtain my orange belt, and belt testing is spread out in 3 month intervals. The instructors seem to know what they are talking about, the head instructor has 22 years experience, and the cheif instructor is a gold medalist...but I'm still confused...

2. Playful Giant

Playful Giant Banned Banned

You must remember that some dojos start their ranking off easy and then progressively get harder. Some people may find what you did for the first grading easy, while others might find it hard!

It might be worth investigating what it takes to get a black belt.

In Kyokishinki when I first started, white one was very easy but by the time black belt came round, we were doing one handed push ups, chin ups and pressure tests, knockdowns, katas, etc.

3. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

What style are you taking?
    Is there sparring?
    Could you beat up any of the blackbelts (who are around your age)?
    Belt testing etc isn't necessarily a good indicator of mcdojoism.

4. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

The definition of a McDojo changes depending on who you talk to. If gradeings are only 3 months appart it's not surprising you don't need to know much to pass. This isn't always a bad thing. It could just be that your prgressing in bite sizes.

If the gradeings are getting progressively harder, you're getting the training you were promissed and you're enjoying it I don't think you should worry.

5. Kay-G

Kay-G New Member

Desipio, I'm no expert, but with good upper body strength how about western boxing?

6. snow_fox_ninja

snow_fox_ninja New Member

hey im planning to start in the arts and i cant afford much but i think u guys can help..what can i do to prepare for the arts?..what r simple tasks to help train myself?..if u guys can help try to e mail me and tell me..im planing on doing ninjutsu or is it called ninjitsu idk i ned guideance..

7. Lord Spooky

Lord Spooky Banned Banned

It's Ninjutsu ;)

Hop on over to the Ninjutsu forum and do a search.

8. gtmazzeo

gtmazzeo New Member

she didnt say he couldnt comment with no proof .

9. Shadowlynx83

Shadowlynx83 New Member

I am new here, too. I study traditional taekwondo at the moment. I have trained in shotokan for 2 years while in college, and I have trained in jeet kune do and wing chun for 1 year each. I am planning to stick with traditional taekwondo and earn my black belt, but my job situation will ultimately decide whether I remain in the area to accomplish that goal. I love martial arts, particularly traditional martial arts, because they offer so much more than just the ability to defend myself. They are a fun hobby and a way of life. I plan on becoming a master and someday opening my own school.

10. orysin

orysin New Member

hey anyone have a suggestion on a martial art to start , i understand the lenght it takes for somemartial arts but which ones will i see quick results with?

11. Shadowlynx83

Shadowlynx83 New Member

Hello orysin,

I have heard that western boxing and krav maga produce quick results. You may want to try and explore those if you are only interested in quickly earning results. However, you should seek patience - explore many styles and practice a style that you love, even if it takes many years. You won't be sorry, training for many years allows you to refine your skills to a point of mastery. It is also very fun.

12. Ace-Acchillies

Ace-Acchillies New Member

Martial Arts Styles

I was Wondering if anyone could aid me in my serach for a Martial Art. I have done research in my area to find out what Martial Art programs are available to me. The list is as follows:
    ~TaeKwonDo (Also in "Black Panther", I don't know what that is)
    ~Karate (A large number of different places)
    ~Ninjutsu (So far, I'm leaning toward this)
    ~Jujutsu (This would be second on the list)
    ~Judo
    ~Kickboxing
    ~Tae Bo
    ~Kung Fu (No Type Specified)
    I am going to check each Martial Art teacher to make aviod a run-in with a Mcdojo. I would like you guys to give a description of each art and possibly throw in a video or two so it can see it in action. I am prepared to take the time to master the art that I choose, and I hope you can offer some insight.

I am 16 years old, and weigh about 140 Pounds. I am in fairly athletic due to the fact that I was participating in a football team last year.

Thank You

Last edited: Jun 21, 2006
  13. lucifer_z28

lucifer_z28 New Member

personally I would suggest jiu-jitsu,takes long time to perfect submissions, rolls, throws and what-not, a monkey can punch(not critisizing strikers i do karate) just my 2 cents

14. funnytiger

funnytiger Earthbender...

I'm always wary of a place the teaches just "Kung Fu" without any kind of style specification. Kung Fu isn't a style so I can only assume that he (or she) teaches a wide variety of Kung Fu styles, which is usually the case. You'll esstentially become a jack of all trades, and a master of none. Which isn't necessarily a negative thing. If you don't mind then by all means have fun! If you are looking to master a particular style I would try Ju Jitsu.

Under no circumstances are you to take Tae Bo. Its not a martial art, its an excercise routine.

My 2 cents. ;)

- ft

15. *Claire*

*Claire* Valued Member

Hiya! I'm jsut starting TKD i have had 2 lessons so far and i really enjoy it but i was wondering what goes well with TKD and teaches you what there isnt a lot of in TKD.. grappling etc i have been told judo is good for this ? cheers :D

16. Hahaha. Maybe we should have this conversation when you're a little further into your Taekwon-Do career? For now just stick with it.

Is your instructor Mr. Minott?

17. experiencema

experiencema New Member

Ace-

Below is a brief description of each, but you can find more detail here: Martial Arts Styles It has a couple of videos, but will be adding more soon.

~Tae Kwon Do - A standup style focusing on Kicks more than punches.
    ~Karate-Do - Standup style focusing on punches more than kicks.
    ~Ninjutsu - The art of "Ninjas". A standup style with teachings of stealth.
    ~Jujitsu & judo - Both are ground/grappling style that will feel more like wrestling. Less punches/kicks and more hold downs, joint locks and chokes. (These are both excellent styles if you're smaller as they teach you to use an opponent's force against them)
    ~Kickboxing - I'm sure you know what this is about. It's so focused on kicking that it's day to day self-defense application is questionable.
    ~Tae Bo - This is an exercise system, not a martial art. Ignore it.
    ~Kung Fu - "Kung Fu" literally means "one who is skilled" in Chinese. It's not a martial art in itself, so be sure to look hard at these schools if you're interested in it. Most likely they're actually teaching a form of Wushu (China's most popular martial art)

Best of luck to you in your search!

18. jono1967

jono1967 New Member

should i stretch wen im still aching?

im 40yo been studying taekwondo 4 a year ache a lot shud i still streach wen sore?

19. TsuyayakuYuri

TsuyayakuYuri New Member

Recommendation

I was hoping for a recommendation for which form of martial arts to begin. I'm a fifteen year old girl, but I'm tall and strong for my age (or, at least, gender) and I'd prefer a form more based on movement. I'm competetive and interested in the sport, rather than being scared for my safety, so one very self-defense orientated would probably be less interesting to me, but I'm willing and eager to try any type. If someone knows a form that they think will suit me, could they please tell me and list the pros and cons? thanks.

20. XXXTigerXXX13

XXXTigerXXX13 New Member

I also need help on choosing a practical style. I did some western boxing and starting a bit of kickboxing, but those just aren't doing it for me. I can't kick and I'm not really interested in kicking.

I want something similar to western boxing because of the power and speed I can get behind punches. I like to use fists, elblows, sometimes a shoulder, and a knee. I'm not big into muay-thai on the fact that it comes across as going blow for blow. Basically, something that I can use close range and get quick explsoive power behind my strikes. Any suggestions are appreciated.