Beginning Martial Arts

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by hongkongfuey, Sep 18, 2003.

1. Spinmaster

Spinmaster Valued Member

That would have been sweet to see! :D

2. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

I have met so many "exponents of ki" that it is no longer amusing.
    Ki is intention +fighting spirit.
    The rest is supposition.

koyo

3. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

If one of them wants to come to the dojo I train in to try and use dim mak or a kiai technique against me, I'm more than happy to turn up and allow him to try his little bit of fun. I'm not willing to go out of my way to check out every questionable claim in martial arts: the fact is that if something like this genuinely worked, a) we'd all be using it, and b) someone would have claimed James Randi's $1million challenge for proof of supernatural abilities.

4. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

In other words. The students are brainwashed into believing, they are bullied into believing and humiliated into believing. I've seen this happen first hand and walked away from a Ki Aikido club after 10 years of practice because it started down that slippery slope to the reject bin.

Take a loan individual and put them in a room with 20 "believers" and that loan individual will instinctively want to be like everybody else in the group. This "instinct" is biologically hard-wired into our brains. Scientists have even pinpointed the exact group of specially adapted braincells responsible. Incidentally this behavioural instinct is also a key part in the way humans and other primates learn new skills.

So you go to a martial arts class. You're shown Ki being used to knock people over without touching them half a dozen times. Next it's your turn. There's a degree of success. The key wammy worked on you too so it must be real.

Wrong! You're simply doing what you subconsciously or even consciously think your supposed to do because you've just watched it happen to the believers half a dozen times. The more your exposed, the more it works on you.

Interestingly however, the second you don't play by the rules of the game the house of cards collapses and either a copious flow of excuses and reasons begins to flood out or an irate torrent of "how dare you question me" comes thundering your way.

5. Reuniel

Reuniel Valued Member

No one would, because its a western way of thinking, its not a martial artists way of thinking. of course most videos brought to our attention are of frauds who are trying to take advantage of todays media BUT if YOU were a kiai master, would you tell the world? would you go out and look for a fight? would you go on Randis show and prove him wrong?
    I can tell you right now that f you were able too, you wouldnt even have an account here.
    martial artists dont draw attention to themselves, they acctualy try to keep attention OFF of themselves, (true martial artists anyway). I can see that this is an argument neither of us will win, BUT think of what I asked, would YOU go around hurting people just to show that you can do something different?
    and in any case Randi has only ever had half wits on his show, and as far as I can remember he tries to proove PSYCIC abilities t be false, he said nothing of energies (such as ki or chi). his entire show is based on imaginary laws of physics, can be (and probably have been) broken.
    just because you dont believe it because you cannot see yourself ever being able to accomplish something like kiai, doesnt mean it is not as dangerous as even karate, or boxing

6. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Well when someone flatly denies the testimony of another who has personally witnessed first hand how these falsehoods and lies are perpetuated then you're right. There's no point to the discussion.

Go your way in peace brother.

End of story.

7. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

The only dim mak I know to work has a delay period of indeterminable time. Sometimes it weeks, more often it's years. Sometimes up to 50. Guaranteed if you have the patience.

8. progdan

progdan Valued Member

^ lol.

9. Aegis

Think of a list of all the martial arts currently being practised throughout the world. Every last one of the good ones was brought to the rest of the world by proving itself effective, not by simply being awesome and not promoting itself. Jigoro Kano is a prime example, going so far as to push the art that he developed into the mainstream to the point where it was adopted into the Olympics only a few decades after its creation as a sport. Before that he developed the art by issuing challenges to local jujutsu schools to ensure that what he had created was a viable way to learn to fight. This is the martial artist's original way of thinking right down to a T. Develop an art through prior training and refinement, then test it, then (in modern times at least) spread it around the world to make it available to anyone willing to put in the hours.

It is usually just an excuse to refuse to do any of this because "it's not the martial artist's way of doing things".

Damn right I would. I'd want to advance our knowledge of the human body and science in general. Hoarding knowledge like that would be pure selfishness.

No, but if I were making wild claims I'd be happy for the opportunity to test the claims against non-compliant training partners. I'd also want to understand what I was doing. As mentioned, the guy on the video you posted talked about effectively the molecular agitation of water. This is absolute rubbish, the molecular agitation of water is microwave cooking, and the human voicebox can't generate a sound that would resonate something with a harmonic frequency on the microwave scale. Even if it could, it would cook itself slowly to do so.

Even working on the assumption that this guy can do what he says he can, his explanation is right out and he would only benefit from getting someone who actually knows about sound, light and basic properties of matter to work out what he's doing so it could be understood.

Absolutely I would, as would anyone with any sense. $1million is an enormous amount of money for most people, and even if he didn't want it there are charities which would! It's not even a show, it's just a simple scientific experiment to test the validit of this sort of claim. The proposer of the claim can even design the experiment himself as long as it meets basic scientific rigour and operates on a double-blind standard if test subjects are involved.

I can do some pretty cool things myself, I'm still here because I actually value sharing information with others. Information on how to avoid charlatans is available precisely because there are so many martial artists with an open and honest attitude to their knowledge.

Training hurts in general.

However, if you mean "would I go around beating people up", then no, I wouldn't and I don't. However, I would happily go and train with people who invited me along and would be keen to show others what I can do if asked. That's exactly how I see myself.

They haven't, the laws of physics are still intact. Hence being laws.

People similar to George Dillman and his fake ki abilities have been tested in the past and found to be faking their abilities, whether intentionally or without even their own knowledge.

The level of energy in shouting is so low that you would need to shout at a cold cup of coffee for over 3 years to get it to heat up. That's physics, and that shows just how little energy is transmitted via sound waves. If you expect me to believe that this tiny amount of energy is enough to floor someone or physically stop them in their tracks, you'll need a lot more than an accusation about me being closed-minded in some way.

I'm not, by the way. I'm more than happy to try new things when it comes to martial arts, and I have adapted my personal style over the years to incorporate bits that I like from all sorts of arts. I see nothing of merit in any of the no-touch techniques that have been demonstrated around me so far, so I still don't use any of them.

10. illegalusername

illegalusername Second Angriest Mapper

This has been discussed and yes, he will literally give you a million dollars for proving Ki exists. Way not to do your research again.

As a martial artist, reading your drivel up to this point had been a pain.
    << Personal attacks removed - The Admins >>

In closing i would want to say that the non cursing policy of this forum has made me resort to words i would not normally use.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2009
  11. ArthurKing

ArthurKing Valued Member

Hello? This is planet earth, i don't have to have asked everybody in the world to boil water in their hands to know that it is not possible, i don't have to ask everyone to fly to know that the human body can't do it, it simply doesn't have the capability. Human vocal chords are not capable of causing injury directly (but possibly causing discomfort). If you want to pursue this line of inquiry by all means do so and i, for one, would certainly be interested in your results. Keep it real Tai-gip, and are you still there anyway?

12. ArthurKing

ArthurKing Valued Member

P.S. I must stop thinking that the quick reply box means it's the end of the thread...

13. Reuniel

Reuniel Valued Member

thats exactley what they said to newton upon his dicovery of gravity.
    kiai is not about using your vocal chords
    its about using your muscle's to send vibrations into your oponent. whoever said kiai is about screaming is flaud.
    you dont use your voice box, you use your abbs and othermuscles to force air through your mouth creating vibrations and so on ad so fourth, the sound of the yell is only caused because if done correctley there will be a sound.
    karatekas dont yell and scream, they breath.

14. Aegis

No they didn't. Newton's Laws of motion and gravity were testable by anyone anywhere with a little bit of patience. This isn't. In fact, this fails every time it is tested by skeptics, indicating that the entire process is something other than a physical effect, most probably either a flat-out act or a suggested response through indoctrination.

It might not be just about using your vocal chords, but that's what generates the sound wave of the shout.

What's the medium for the transmission of this vibration? If it's air, then it's a soundwave, and soundwaves are modulated by the voicebox. If it's something in the EM spectrum, how is it generated and how is it controlled enough that it can target an opponent but not yourself or others around your opponent?

Seriously, you have some pretty simple basic science to overcome when you make claims like this.

The vibrations are caused by the voicebox. That's what modulates the sound to turn it into a specific frequency. Remove the voicebox and you remove the sound altogether, thereby removing one of the two possible methods of transmitting this "force" to your opponent (the other being light, as I'm eliminating nuclear and gravitational forces from the equation as these would be far to easy to test and discredit).

Please feel free to explain how this pseudoscience is supposed to work, and I'll happily dismantle all the claims. Quite simply, there is NO science which allows the transmission of force from one body to another without a medium, and unless you claim to be generating electromagnetic, gravitational or nuclear forces you're pretty much left with a soundwave, which has its own problems, as already identified.

15. Spinmaster

Spinmaster Valued Member

I tend to think Newton's arguments were more logical and thought-out than yours have been so far. ;)

Ah, right, so the Japanese had no idea what they were talking about when they named it "spirit yell". :rolleyes:

So now kiai is about super breath? Let me find my cape and my red and blue underwear...

Just a note, my Aikido Coach loves the kiai, and insists we "make noise", but it isn't because it's some "super weapon." It's because:

1. It forces you to breath. Something that beginners (like myself) tend to forget. :D

2. It adds power to your strikes by contracting the abdominal muscles, etc.

3. The aggressor may not be expecting you to make noise, so the kiai may have a pyschological effect on him.

Actually, don't quote me on the last one, I think he mentioned that, but it's been a while since the conversation and I'm not 100% certain.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2009
  16. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

KI means fighting spirit and intent.
    Ki AI means to "bring together" the breathing ,intent and technique so as to make the action more powerfull.You can vocalise this or not..just as effective either way.

Kiai is NOT the noise it also permeates the body as the strike is kime'd (focused)

regards koyo

Last edited: Jul 10, 2009
  17. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Reuniel,

I've already shown you in a previous thread you don't know as much as you think you do. So why not entertain the possibility that you could be wrong here and listen to these folks who have, in all likelihood, got a fair bit more experience than you.

18. spidersfrommars

spidersfrommars Valued Member

[​IMG]

19. Reuniel

Reuniel Valued Member

look say what you want, Im done arguing ( and if you believe its because Im wrong and an idiot so be it). I cannot explain why or how Kiai works but it does, your all entitled to your opinions as am I.
    As for the "screaming", your suppossed to breath in a way that causes you to make an involuntary yelling noise when doing karate or jujutsu (japanese masters teach ou how to breath first then as you prgress and your breathing becomes stronger it ends up in a yell). if you know what your listening to and what your listening for you can easily tell the difference between someone who just yells as loud as he can, and someone who is breathing properly.

20. illegalusername

illegalusername Second Angriest Mapper

Ah, the "Taking my ball and going home" argument.
    The mark of a man of science