Becoming a good fighter...help!

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Darkiden, May 16, 2003.

1. Kenpo Kicker

Kenpo Kicker New Member

I don't buy it. Also write normal. It is annoying. Beating up criminals is hardball eh? City infact what a tough boy. They are strapped where I am from.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2004
  2. hEmPY

hEmPY Banned Banned

dude.. get over it. u know Im talkin bout poor thieves, pimps n rapists.

uh.. idiots this days

mean they're copz?

3. Kenpo Kicker

Kenpo Kicker New Member

no they have guns and usually hang out in large numbers. You are not making any sense. The only ones I see alone without **** are crackheads and they are crazy. I wouldn't **** with no crack head to learn how to fight for my first time if I was that dude. Good luck beating up a pimp. No way to tell who is a rapist or theif, most of them have knives at least.

4. hEmPY

hEmPY Banned Banned

same here

Ur not supose to mess w 'em

However all that city sh.. that is lookin for weak men to rob.... Ya might be lookin for 'em

5. Kenpo Kicker

Kenpo Kicker New Member

I think a bar would be more logical. Some drunk may pick a fight with him and he can legitly defend himself and test his ability. If you go in and walk down the bad parts of the city without a gun you aint all there /heh. Most robbers got knives at least.

6. hEmPY

hEmPY Banned Banned

when I had situationz like dat I used my accurate right as fast as I can

but if ur new to knife fightin just kick him in the knee.... they get really smaller :D

7. ranger

ranger New Member

what kind of fight are we talking about here? like "lets go outside settle this " kind of fight?

8. Kenpo Kicker

Kenpo Kicker New Member

The street fights I enjoyed were set up at a location. You got huge cliques watching you fight. I have not fought In three years (i'm a changed man). I am talking about un-armed street fights with a low potential of weapons being envolved.

"what kind of fight are we talking about here? like "lets go outside settle this " kind of fight?
    "

Yeah I would aim for that if I had a intrest in street fighting. This sort of thing happens alot at bars with reps.

9. shootodog

shootodog restless native

it works with a guy who wouldn't know how to use one. it won't work against a guy who does. if you're close enough to kick his knees, he's close enough to slash your throat. stab your eyes. most especially, slice both your hands- off (or at least slice your wrists open). look at the dynamic of the body in that situation. a knife weilding opponent instantly has at least +3 inches from his original reach.

try this out for size. get two red colored permanent markers. give one to the other guy. now try to take each other out (just to make it interesting, wear your favorite shirt). lemme know how that worked out for you.

you generally want to back away from a guy with a knife. really.

enough of the fantasy. the reality of a fight is that most fights never make it past 20 to 30 second. you're never fully prepaired for one.

don't ever go looking for trouble, it may just be too big for you to handle.

10. ranger

ranger New Member

so, in your experience who has the advantage? one with mA training?

11. shootodog

maybe. maybe. then again, if it's my friend kookoo, no amount of m/a training will prep you for that kind of fight.

12. Kenpo Kicker

Kenpo Kicker New Member

No, the one with street fighting experience. I have seen some ma's do great for their first time (not better than a great street fighter) and others fold up and look horrible. Seen a maer beat up a cocky gang banger, lol. I didn't think the guy could fight either. My kenpo was highly effective. Just about every fight ended on the ground. I had prevous fighting experience prior to this. I have seen some lousy street fighters too though. I remember one guy try to hook punch me and missed. I double punched (dunno why) and he fell on the ground and I started kicking his ribs til he gave up. Alot of the street fighters had experience in boxing and wrestling which is a common thing in the states. I would see friends spar with each other who would fight at the "sand pits". I do not think they did pro boxing just taught themselves and learned wrestling from high school.

edit: The best fighter in there was my best friend (I know he was a maist beacuse remeber when we were young we bareknuckle sparred on the playground). He was a very x maist but had tons of street experience on his side. Ppl that wore pants and long sleeve tough shirts had the advantage. You get ripped up from the sand when ground fighting. In one fight I was ground fighting with shorts and my shirt was ripped off, I fell backwards down the hill while grappling and had to fight up hill which was tough. I ended up winning but very beat up. My knees and elbows were bleeding and other scratches from sand as well. I used alot of grown strikes in that fight. His clique threatened me and I just walked right by them with my clique. They were very afraid of my best friend and some others with me. I lost touch with him when I moved. I been meaning to ask him if he did tkd or kung fu. I remeber a very fancy kick from him that looked more like kung fu than tkd. I was very young though.

again edit: Hahha, I remeber my best friend scared ****less of one maist who he considered a ma nut. He is a tough son of a gun and never seen him afraid of anyone. My friend was also a nut, lol. He would bark at ppl like a dog and make the whole clique do it :). The crazy guy that is cool not completly crazy.

13. hEmPY

hEmPY Banned Banned

Dunno what ur tryin to say, but if u mean u gotta punch :eek: instead of kickin, ur deadly wrong..

Yes. Knife meks the arm longer, but proper done thai kick to the back of the knee iz still longer. Do not, I repeat, DO NOT punch the knife-armed.

..And do not run from a knife-armed, coz theyll reach u faster then u can amagine. They run from police all the time .

The only way I c here iz a hard knee kick, ofcourse nobody's sure about robber's arm reach (and the length of a knife :D ), but u have no choice here. Btw in such situationz distance can play the biggest role. So u have to keep distance of a kick every time and save this distance. Also its good to shoot a fake punch and mix it with knee kick and again dont forget bout distance. U can also use straight kick for distraction. I think if ur good at kickin, 3-5 hard kix to the knee and u can try to get the knife w yo front arm.

U do it like this:
    Its like trying slappin the wrist as fast as u can, but when u actually slap it, u grab it as hard as u can and den u pull his arm upwards and add yo back arm. Now u can do several things now, like knee to the groin (most effective), but I prefer to get side step n do sum Judo stuff: it usually ends like bi chiz on the gras n ur on its back ready for fun to begin :D

But if the unarmin doesnt works, I mean if sumthin happenz like guy'll pull his arm from u or whatever u can always kick him to the knee again and den try it again.

Btw u can win without an entire fight, just watch yo opp bad. If u c his takin a knife from a pocket u kick him in the groin that could save the day. If it doesn works like u missed pain parts of groin u kick 'im in the knee. (DONT WAIT TIL HE TAKES THE KNIFE OUT, jus do what I told u an ull live)

Again, if ur lookin for a street fight ur in potential danger. Coz even if u win the fight u may lose the battle....

14. Kenpo Kicker

Kenpo Kicker New Member

If I had too I would parry block then use a bjj take down and break the elbow. More than likely I would run since I'm a fast runner.

15. Master J

Master J "No style, no limitation"

To become good you must work hard to achieve it.

Now..........................go and train.

16. shootodog

1) never said anything about punching either. a mt 45 is good too, but opens you up to a knife counter on your groin and femural artery (castrated or bleeding to death). 2) grabbing the knife hand is practical but doesn't really guarantee anything. 3) if you try to grapple with a knife weilding opponent, well...um...try doing the drill i propose. take a marker, give it to another guy. tell him to tag you with it, then try taking him down. if you end up on the ground with it...see the nice marker marks on your arms and body? nice, huh?

jailhouse 52 and fma have some great realistic knife counters because they don't discount the fact that you're going to get tagged.

i go for what richard dimitri says: "train, train hard. train smart. train always."

good luck.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2004
  17. Kenpo Kicker

Kenpo Kicker New Member

The bjj move I have in mind would not get ya stabbed if you already have the hand. I also do not know how to explain the block I know for kenpo knife defense. I do believe it was a parry block. I will ask somone to stab me with one of our wooden knives and see if I feel it. In a fight against a knife getting stabbed in the arm is not as bad as getting stabbed in a lung or other body areas.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2004
  18. shootodog

most ma-ists think that their moves won't get them stabbed. i don't dillude myself. i know i'm gonna get cut.

19. StreetDragon

StreetDragon Banned Banned

“Pain is the beginning of strength” but more so
    "Pain is weakness leaving the body"

The only way to become a good fighter is to fight, but don’t go looking for a stranger to fight as you never know when you will be 2 inches away from death in a bad situation.

Before you go out and fight...
    1. You need to build your pain tolerance, and know your limits.
    2. You need good cardiovascular. (It doesn’t matter if you look like 'XXX' if u cant run for a few miles, or cant hold a steady heavy bag routine for at least a hard hour, you are not going to last in a street fight.)
    3. You need strength. (Sounds like you are ok here)
    4. You need flexibility. (Usually overlooked as important in street fights, but this was STRONGLY emphasized by Bruce Lee. He always taught a good athlete is both strong, flexible and has good cardio. Flexibility will obviously help you execute your martial arts moves.)
    5. You need a solid street fighting technique.

Many martial artists just say that technique is all your need. BS. Obviously they have never been in a real fight. I have done lots of full contact sparring with high level "class trainers" whom think they will have no problem destroying me with their moves. They may have better technique but when you can stand there and take a full power side kick to the ribs and not budge, you are going to be ready for their follow up attack. Also many of arts are built to standards and have too many hindering rules. If the art you are studying has sport competitions with rules, it’s probably NOT a good one to learn for use in the street.

For me growing up where you had to fight to live, combat become normal, and I soon turned to martial arts. To my dismay once I got in I realized that the vast majority of people training in the arts are only "Class Trainers" and not "Class Fighters" at all. I guess they just get their kicks out of having an art as a sense of security, or maybe its just a hobby to keep them in shape.

If you want to become a strong fighter, just master the 5 things at the top.
    For myself I do the following.

1. Practice all my martial arts moves with other members of my club in FULL contact bare fist/foot exercises. There is no sparring here, just HARD repetitive practicing of blocks + attacks. By doing this you no only build pain tolerance from taking the hits but also increase your reaction time and speed.

My favorite 2 exercises for this are
    a. Round Kicks - Start out by holding a training blocking pad against your side (ribs) and have your partner kick you hard as they can 5 times, then switch to you kicking them. Then they kick you on your other side, and then you kick their opposite side.
    Start with 5 sets of 5 kicks, and work your way up to more and more as you get stronger. Eventually you will be able to take full power kicks to the side without having them phase you. (It is a great feeling)(Also at first you will just build calluses to absorb the blows but for higher levels of power you will also need to have worked those abs and side muscles to help protect the body as well, this is also very important)
    This exercise will build both the power in the 1 persons kick and the pain tolerance in the 2nd person.

b. My other favorite drill we do is the attack to counter then straight blast.
    For this one, at first have 1 partner choose an attack they will throw and let your know (ie. a right hook) The 2nd person's job is to block this full power bare fisted punch and then throw in any counter attack as fast as possible. Right after that first counter quickly follow up with a straight blast. For the 1st person on the other end of the straight blast, all they can do is block and move straight backwards (across the room or where ever you are practicing until you have pushed them to the back wall)
    For the person blocking they need to keep their head up the whole time but not rely only on their eyes to block. The 2nd person or attacker is allowed to throw any punch or kick necessary onto the person where ever they see their guard is lacking. This process will help the 1st person with pain tolerance to their head and everywhere else in their body, as well as building their blocking skill. The 2nd person will learn to extend their hits fully and learn the feeling of hitting another moving body.

2. For cardio this is very important because you never know how a street fight will end. I’ve ended up taking out my opponent or 2 or 3, but this can sometimes last for 10-20 minutes depending on the situation, and mixed with all your emotions and adrenaline things can get out of control fast. The principles of Jeet Kune Do are great that teach you have to turn off and on your emotions to control this situation. And you never know when you will decide that its best to turn when the fight turns bad (ie. an unexpected weapon comes into play, or more people who up)

3. Obviously strength is important in a street fight to execute your blows, but its not about size. If you look like 'XXX' you might have built up too much non-functional muscle, and not enough combat muscle. If you look at pictures of Bruce Lee, you can seel that his muscles are tightly packed balls of solid power. This power comes from alternating your workout days with time on the heavy bag. For every hour i put in at the gym, I put in on the heavy bag the next day. For my routine I do Upper Body Workouts M/W/F and just kicking on the bag. Then on T/T/S I do lower body workouts and all punching on the bags. This alteration will convert ever ounce of that muscle gained into real world functional power for your kicks + punches + grapples.

4. Flexibly allows you to have better range on your kicks, punches and blocks. A lot of body building exercises restrict the range of the arms, often seriously harm your ability to move and defend, as well as slow you down. I have found that this is the case with a lot of the bigger guys that I have fought. They look intimidating, but they are often much easier to deal with in both close range and extended range combat.

5. Once you have built your body to be a temple of power, speed, and endurance you will rise to the top of any martial arts group. This is a personal choice from here on what arts you would like to study. Personally for street combat if you have access to a JKD club in which the people are serious about fighting, you are best off. A great quick system to learn would be the modified hand to hand JKD combat training program that all Navy Seals learn. This system is taught to the Seals in 3 full days, and is BY FAR the most deadly system out there. With strong Wing Chun fundamental (straight blast, centerline theory), mixed with some Brazilian ground wrestling (holds, locks), Philippine stick fighting to teach use of a bat, crow bar, or Billy club), as well as some knife fighting skills from a variety of other arts, you will be leaps ahead of the completion in only 1 weekend. If you don’t have access to one of these classes I suggest fly to the mainland for a few days and taking the seal team weekend camp (note: this is also VERY harsh, they treat you like you are a seal for those days, but you will never regret it, I sure didn’t) With a solid base in that, and having completed the previous 4 steps, you can pretty much have no fear of your enemy. (Unless they have a gun, then I cant help you there) Once you have taken this art, it would probably be best to move to Jun Fan JKD, to broaden your arsenal of attacks, blocks, and grapples.

At my Wing Chun club there are a special few of us who are "class fighters" instead of "class trainers", and in fact the majority of all martial artists today have never even been in a fight. For me I grew up fighting to survive I got into martial arts as soon as I could, and have studied a few forms, only to end up learning that the advice I just gave here is defiantly the best way for anyone to learn how to really fight. I would have to agree with you, I love fighting as well. And working on those 5 things average 22 hours per week these days, i havnt woken up without some part of me hurting in over 4 months :) but im in it for the end result.

In working on those 5 steps its usually best if you have a friend or partner with the same enthusiams to help you stay focused and train hard. And also to fight with. At first you can do full contact sparring with typical 'kung fu' or any other martial art's sparring gear. But if you are work on those pain tolerance this gear will become obsolete FAST. Leaving you and your partner to resort to the harshest and dirtiest methods on fighting. Sticking to an art will only help you win a fight with a martial artists, but using techniques based on an art in a full no rules fight will help you learn to deal with the unexpected. Its not uncommon that groin shots, or eye gouges are used at our fight club. If you can find a group of others as enthusiastic as your (they are out there you just have to find them) Setup a fight club (Yes just like the movie) in your basement or garage, and fight to submission. This is the ULTIMATE in learning to fight, and I have been running mine just with friends for a few years, but make sure that when the night is over everyone sits down and relaxes and talks about the fights that went on, so that no-one makes it personal, and everyone stays friends. This is very do-able, and if you have the motivation go for it.

Oh, and going to a boxing club, or other martial arts club will only provide you with fight experience in that 'rule sturctured' enviroment, but will have no real aid in a street fight, where anything goes.

I hope that this information has helped you more then a lot of the garble reply’s I have read on this post. Also this is my first post on MAP. Message me if you have any more questions…

Last edited: Mar 23, 2004
  20. ranger

ranger New Member

welcome to the MAP!

by the way, you forgot to mention to train the mind to fight. how do you train your mind to fight? or is it just incidental that when you do what you said you already train the mind?

good day :)