BBC3 Programme - Mind, Body & Kick-Ass Moves

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by CFT, Aug 4, 2004.

1. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

2. BlindClown

BlindClown tinit

so in the end is it worth the buy > ?

3. dra_uk

dra_uk Lost in Translation

It absolutely is (especially at £4.99!), provided you ignore the lame voice overs... :rolleyes:

Dan

4. BlindClown

BlindClown tinit

done it for so many films and documentrys now think that the least of my worries :p
    cheers for advice though mate

5. kmguy8

kmguy8 Not Sin Binned

6. Bil Gee

Bil Gee Thug

I just find it hard to believe that there are people who probably live perfectly ordinary lives, as a hobby go along to a school where they hang huge weights of their penises for the evening. I'm willing to accept a very broad definition of what constitutes a martial art, but dragging a lorry with your todger definitely falls outside that definition.

7. succubus

succubus so hot right now

just recently watched this series.

i actually thought it was pretty good. ok, the voice-over guy was lame, and a lot of the stuff looked *highly* dodgy. but maybe i'm thinking with my journalist's mind, rather than that of a martial artist- the programme wasn't made for martial artists. most of the stuff i've watched that has been made especially for martial artists has been dead boring for people who don't know what the hell they're talking about.

it was made for your average bbc-watcher. the same people who watch lame reality shows and soap operas. so it had to have a bit of sensationalism in it.

with that in mind, i think they did a decent job. they obviously did a lot of research, and i think they tried to show as many points of view as possible given the short space of time. it looks to me like chris is highly skilled, as are the people he interviewed. it would've been nice to get a bit more detail about each of the arts he profiled, but there was such limited time it would be impossible.

i definitely could've done without the lame david blaine stuff though. :p

8. kmguy8

kmguy8 Not Sin Binned

a bit? I seem to recall one guy knocking others out and down with his chi voice..
    lol, if that's a bit dodgy.. Pres. Bush is almost a genius

9. AdamR

AdamR Kwan Soo

Hey now, c'mon, that's not fair, I like the BBC. I can't abide reality TV and soaps though. If you ask me you're talking about your average ITV viewer. Now there is a shockingly bad channel :)

10. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Isnt that justa light warm up....a pulse raiser so to speak !!!!! :D

11. airweaver

airweaver Valued Member

i thought it was good, theres not enough shows like that on tv.
    chris crudelli is a down to earth guy and i like that about him, and he seems to know his stuff.
    did anyone see the one where that filipino guy nearly chopped his arm off with his machete because he thought he could resist the blade with his chi?

12. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

A lot of the stuff was extremely dodgy, that was the point. The series didn't try to tell you it was "real", it just presented the explanations as given by the practicioners and let the audience make up its own mind as to whether a demonstration was patently ridiculous.

What it did do on occasions was then show Chris doing very similar things without the benefit of chi, spirits, or fairies from the bottom of the garden.

I thought it actually did a pretty good job of debunking many myths.

Mitch

13. I think that was in the new series "kick ass miracles".

14. airweaver

airweaver Valued Member

they seemed pretty much the same thing, "miracles" was just used to connote it being the newer episodes lol

15. Yeah. I think considering the amount of times it's been repeated, it would have been confusing if they did not change the name for the second series. However, the first series focussed more on MA, whereas the second series focussed more on healing etc. Obviously there was a large cross-over.

16. Cuchulain4

Cuchulain4 Valued Member

I loved the show. I am yet to see the new series tho.

Did anybody see the episode where he walks on fire and gets second degree burns on his feet. Then the next day the doctors are amazed to see it had completely healed? Chris simply said "the mind is a powerful tool" or something similar. What did you make of that? I sense a bit of clever editing and "tv magic" but that wouldnt really be in the style of the rest of the series.

Its on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foSR67plBkM&search=chris crudelli

17. LJoll

LJoll Valued Member

I think that's a bit harsh. The BBC has some good programmes. Which other organisation would you say is better?

18. Reakt

Reakt Valued Member

I ordered the series and I loved it. Chris Crudelli is an awesome down to earth guy and its good to have an insight into these fighting techniques and ancient cultures, regardless of how far fetched some of them might be.

19. That episode is the last episode in the second series (Kick Ass Miracles).

I agree. The BBC has some great stuff on it. I cannot remember the last thing I watched on ITV. Someone was slating the BBC at work the other day. No, they don't show I'm A Celebrity or Big Brother on the BBC, but I'm sure I'll survive. The BBC is worth every bit of the licence fee I pay.

20. Reakt

Reakt Valued Member

There is a lot of things in both series which I find hard to prove wrong.

For example the Hot Coals mentioned above, I highly doubt that kinda show would have TV special effects, he's an untrained person in that kind of technique and anyone who is untrained no matter how much 'Chi' they have are going to burn their feet, which he did, then the next morning and they were fine. Maybe it was more then just 12 hours, who knows.

The other things like the man who rang the bell with his voice, close up I noticed he was stamping his foot when he did it which would of been the explination, but when he ended up standing 10-15 ft. away he still managed to make it ring.

Theres lots of other things but I wont go into detail, some of it looks unrealistic, some of it was explainable, other parts were unexplainable.

Just going to give them the benefit of the doubt.