Basic palm apps from Gao style baguazhang

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by Buddy, Apr 6, 2006.

1. Buddy

Buddy Valued Member

2. ikonst

ikonst New Member

These are interesting clips but I would like to ask a question. Since some of these applications actually last some time (a couple of seconds may or may not become eternity in combat!) why is only one person active during the demonstration? I am not asking for the student to go non-compliant(I believe that is the term?) since this is a single technique demonstration, but rather perform(in a rehearsed manner) the instinctive actions he would have normally taken as reaction to being handled around. So in effect, one would not show "look, i do this, then that, then this and the bad guy is down", but rather "look, i do this so naturally-instinctively the opponent does this which I handle by doing this and he's down". Demonstration is not sparring but even in a demonstration of an application one would expect the guy being handled about to react somehow. For example, in the Kai-opening palm in the first video, the attacker takes his time advancing on the defender's centre before reaching down for his leg, which the defendent offers freely. I understand that what one considers instinctive one may think of as quite unnatural but then again who would think standing still when attacked is natural?

The above were not meant to apply only to the videos posted but more generally to many application videos out there.

3. Buddy

Buddy Valued Member

You've already answered your question.

4. Durkhrod Chogori

Durkhrod Chogori Valued Member

I actually enjoyed more the Xingyi clip. ;)

Thx for the link.

5. middleway

middleway Valued Member

Eric Lo's Xing Yi is just soooooooooo good!

that rooster clip is the daddy!

Thanks!

Chris

6. awakened nature

awakened nature chi or pins and needles?

Agreed, Eric Lo's Xing yi is awesome.

how old is that clip? I thought eric lo only taught bagua these days.

7. Buddy

Buddy Valued Member

Actually he recently started a new xingyi class in Taiwan and generally will include it in his seminars if his students request it. Maybe one day the instructional vid will come out. But it'll have to be re-shot. BTW I didn't realize thet had added the extra stuff.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2006
  8. LillyLambert

LillyLambert New Member

Does the Palm Apps work with iPhone?? and Can you use the Palm phone by itself?

9. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

Wow.... you resurrected a 13 year old thread, just to make that lame gag?

LillyLambert likes this.
  10. Monkey_Magic

Monkey_Magic Well-Known Member

Dan Bian, I thought you of all people would know it takes 13 years of Bagua Zhang to build up enough chi for a gag of this magnitude :)

[​IMG]

Dan Bian and axelb like this.
  11. Dan Bian

Noo,
    Tai Chi takes 13 years, Bagua only takes 8.
    Xingyi is the fastest route to internal punnery, with only a 5-year wait!

axelb and Monkey_Magic like this.
  12. Monkey_Magic

Monkey_Magic Well-Known Member

I’d call that an in(ternal) joke :)

axelb and Dan Bian like this.
  13. Dan Bian

I'll tri(gram) to do better next time...

Monkey_Magic and axelb like this.