Banned Users

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Aegis, Jul 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

As an attempt to be a little more open about moderation on the site, Saz has created a Banned Users page. This shows the last few users to be banned, lists the reason why they were banned, who banned them, and sometimes links to the thread they got banned for (though often this is deleted).

This is still in the test phase and may or may not remain as a permanent feature, so bear with us if it seems to change a lot!

http://martialartsplanet.com/forums/showbans.php?

Please note that this is NOT an excuse to discuss bans on the site. If you want to question a decision, please contact the staff member who did the banning, or an admin if you want a second opinion.

2. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

Brilliant idea , with everything in the open there should be no cause for complaint.

3. hanakuso

hanakuso Banned Banned

Might not be a bad idea to have a place (limited) to discuss them. Keep things out in the open as you say and give the members a chance to see that everything is reasonable and consistent.

Also, whoa! I was very surprised at how long that list is. Some itchy trigger fingers there! :woo:

Last edited: Jul 16, 2007
  4. Verx

Verx "Darkness Approaches"

Very good idea. I think we should have a minute of silence for the longest running MAP troll, matbla. :D

5. Victoria

Victoria Pretzel In Training

He was interesting to say the least :D Will miss him

Dammit Aegis I keep hitting "calender" instead of "new posts" now :rolleyes: :D

6. bcullen

bcullen They are all perfect.

Save some time, when listing reasons for banning NK just put, Banned for being NaughtyKnight. No explanation required. :D

For Rags just post this picture: What more reason could you need? :D

Attached Files:

7. tom pain

tom pain I want Chewbacc for good

The name and shame tactic. Nice :yeleyes:

8. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Grrrrr just hit the Calendar button again! It was the same when that MAP Dating thing was on there! :bang:

9. Aegis

You guys know the score. If in doubt, blame Saz :D

Addressing some thoughts:

The idea behind this list is so that hopefully we won't have to do any of the explaining we often have to do when someone gets banned. People can look for themselves to find out at least part of the story and part of our justification for the ban. I can't honestly see that allowing an area for ban discussions would help the site in any way above and beyond what we're already doing. I just see that leading to more work for the mods, and for very little gain.

My trigger finger itches whenever I see 6 posts with multiple instances of either "FREE!!!" or currency symbols submitted within 5 minutes of signing up to MAP... ;)

Not quite what we were after with this implementation, but hey!

10. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Personally I like the list - keeps me updated on who is gone for good and who's returning.

Now a list on whose name is what this week and for the past few incarnations and I'd have to rate MAP as Five stars (up from 4.87 right now!) :D

Last edited: Jul 16, 2007
  11. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

I actually like it just the way it is. I don't see a reason for putting up a forum to discuss it. It's perfectly clear.

12. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

Thanks GC. This will make things a lot clearer for folks in future.

13. LJoll

LJoll Valued Member

I like this. All the secrecy about who's been banned feels like being at school.

14. Lily

Lily Valued Member

Hahahahahaha!! Funniest thing I've seen this morning.

Where's KempoFist's name? :confused:

:D

15. wrydolphin

wrydolphin Pirates... yaarrrr Supporter

It wasn't so much secrecy as much as the inability to transmit reliably what had been done. We've been working on this for ages and Saz finally got it to work recently. All of the mod team are pretty excited about this, plus it does cut down confusion.

That said, we really don't want to have threads done up over the ban list as it basically just leads to gossip without the person having the ability to reply. If you have questions, PM a mod- preferably the one who did the ban/bin.

16. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Just to add to that, if the question is "OMG WHY DID YOU BAN MY MATE?" then don't bother, you won't get a reply.

Hanakuso - There will definitely NOT be an area where people can discuss binnings/bannings.

This is a great addition to the site which will hopefully stop those kind of questions being asked.

17. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

speaking of which... time to call an Admin :)

18. Aegis

Well, thanks for trolling the thread already guys... You know who you are

I'll be coming back and removing all the posts that specifically broke my request NOT to discuss reasons for bans on the forum, and after that will have no trouble temp banning people who don't comply with what is really a fairly simple rule: if you want to whine about a ban, do so in private.

19. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

Beat ya do it Ian .... thread re opened for now, but temp bans will be handed out to those who cant read/understand aegis's very simple request!

20. Victoria

Victoria Pretzel In Training

That makes two of us :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.