Baltimore Zen Center Blog: "Where is the Real Mirror?"

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by MadMonk108, Sep 27, 2009.

1. MadMonk108

MadMonk108 JKD/Kali Instructor

This past week, I celebrated my 30th birthday. I had a great celebration with family, friends, and half of the metropolitan Baltimore area. I had an amazing dinner of delicious jagerschnitzel at Old Stein Inn, and then met up with friends to see a band play. I have to thank my friend Maynard and his band, Flipside, for doing a great show. It was definitely the best party I've been to in 30 years. I think I danced for at least 2 hours straight.

Before the evening began, I went through the ritual of shaving and showering, getting dressed, putting on a new suit. Throughout the process, there were numerous occasions when I checked my appearance in the mirror. Did I shave my goatee just right? Is my tie straight? Do I have random nose hairs sticking out?

Later on that evening, I danced with a young woman. She had brown hair, tanned skin, dark eyes, and a broad smile. She wore a blue sleeveless top. If I describe her in greater detail, the Precepts Squad will start grabbing pitchforks. Oh well, I already admitted to eating meat...and it was 21 year MacCallan if you have to ask. If I'm gonna break a precept, I'm gonna make sure it's worth it.

As hot as she was, I didn't see her. As good as I looked in that suit, the mirror image was not myself. Pohwa-seunim likes to say, "We have never seen ourselves."

So what did I see?

Original Post: Here

2. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Is maya the answer you are looking for ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maya_(illusion)

Anyway MM I thought you were dead set against this sort of thing.. Tell me about Mount Sumeru. I've personally never heard of the place - so he could have exclaimed practically anything..

3. MadMonk108

MadMonk108 JKD/Kali Instructor

Not quite, but an interesting twist.

I knew a girl named Maya once. She was gorgeous. I think there's like some law of nature that all girls named Maya must be beautiful.

Deadset against which sort of thing?

Precisely. If you want to discuss that in particular, PM me.

4. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

So what did you see.

I remember how when people posted about some zen type question or whatever you didn't support public discussions.

Sin doesn't mean anything to me either in thought or deed, so I'm not sure there would be much point discussing it.. I think I get the gist. Maybe he's being polite and just wants to say what a load of bollocks sin is. Better to be all mysterious about it I suppose..

5. CKava

CKava Just one more thing... Supporter

Mount Sumeru in traditional Buddhist cosmology is supposed to be the mountain at the centre of the continents. It doesn't exist unfortunately but now it is often interpreted as a metaphor, sort of like the origin story in the bible.

6. GSHAMBROOKE

GSHAMBROOKE Thats Tarm Sarm

Ah interesting but no thanks, my world is to much in the realistic now.