Balance

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by stirlingTKD, Dec 11, 2003.

1. stirlingTKD

stirlingTKD New Member

Does anyone have any tips for improving balance when kicking. Specifically my sidekick and back-kick.

Thankyou.

2. Hakko-Ryu

Hakko-Ryu New Member

try doing em slow...and many times over :D

3. Alexander

Alexander Possibly insane.

Not sure, but this may help:
    Do them low, into the knee caps or side of the leg, untill you've got full power and full balance then raise the height a bit. Just repeat doing this untill you're jumping.

4. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

take up rollerskating, I have a good sense of balance and I think it's due to my having been a skater since I was about 13 which was 9 years ago. Also Rollerhockey is very good as you have to do lots of stopping, turning and accelerating.

5. Ara

Ara New Member

thats a good start alexander. I was told by my instructor that balance is linked to strength. It may not be that you are 'clumsy' with balance, it may just be that your supporting legs, depending on what side u are kickin with are not strong enough to support you. So one thing you can try are exercises in order to strengthen your leg muscles. Slow motion, technically correct, kicking is very helpful. As alexander said, kick low and kick slow but make sure the kick is accurate and technically correct. keep building the height and the time you hold out the kick. Weights are also good for overall build up of strength, however i cant recommend a good work out because they vary to the individual :)

another point that was made to me about balance, early on anyway is try to keep your eyes stuck on a fixed point in the room. If you are practicing in your rows, sometimes u may be looking at the person infront of you. because they are moving, your mind uses them as a reference and so you tend to move and become unstable as they move around doing their pattern/kick. However, when you are kicking, try to look at a point on the wall, maybe a picture or a door handle or something that doesnt move. This creates a stable reference for your mind and therefore your balance *should* improve a little.

hope this helps

6. Alexander

Alexander Possibly insane.

Oh, one more tip that I always forget, but I know Bruce Lee did this was to stand on one leg when you get dressed. Unfortunately every morning I'm so dopey it slips my mind.

7. Buxton TKD

Buxton TKD New Member

I recommend just build it up from the platform, although Ara did make some good points.
    Practice just standing on one leg, then progress to the chamber position, then the kick. Fixing on a bit is useful and also kicking slowly will manipulate the muscles used for that particular kick and strengthen them.

Tae Kwon

8. stirlingTKD

stirlingTKD New Member

Thanks for all the help guys. I'll definately take it all on board.

This forum is really great. I love it already. Everyone is so helpful and nice. :)

9. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Basic Balance Exercises
    http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7423
    Balance
    http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=104678
    Balance Exercises
    http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6323

Word of "helpful" advice for you since you are new here....
    to take advantage of some of the helpful advice that we offer here on MAP, do use the SEARCH feature on the site.

Look what I pulled up when I put "balance" in the search criteria!!

Voila!!!

10. Disciple

Disciple New Member

Core exercise. Your core is essential to everything, particularly balance, as I am begining to learn. Why was Bruce Lee so balanced? B/c he lquite possibly had the best and most stable core (abdomen muscles) ever.

11. Ara

Ara New Member

i think core means abdomen and back. If you have strong abdomen muscles and weak lower back muscles, when training/stretching you are going to tear the weaker muscles because the 2 are imbalanced. I believe im right in saying all muscle groups in the body have an antagonistic (opposite) partner. Both have to be balanced in strength otherwise one side tends to out work the other and then you get problems with strains/tears. But i think you're right in saying that region of your body is very important to any martial artist

12. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

You guys may want to check out this thread I started here on how to measure you core strength

13. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Yup, try starting with one hand against a wall for balance, raise your leg out parallel to the ground. Do that about a gazillion times, then slowly go higher and higher w/your side kick...