BaJi Style

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by Visage, Jan 2, 2004.

1. Visage

Visage Banned Banned

Hi,
    I asked this question in the kung fu forum and was sent here. Iw as wondering, does anyone have any information they could give me on BaJi style? Im looking for any general information. Can anyone help?
    Thanks

2. LabanB

LabanB Valued Member

Baji Ch'uan

Hi TeJitsuDo,

Kaimen BaJi Ch'uan (roughly translated "Open Door Eight Power Fist"!) is a system which was/is used by the Chinese Premieres bodyguards.

It links between external and internal systems. I trained in it briefly with Ji Jeng Cheng of Beijing University when he was teaching in the UK in the Eighties.

The Form that was taught would shift between very soft, flowing and expansive movements to small and very explosive. To give an example, the arms would reach out and gracefully sweep from the right side of the body across to the left; then they would pull in to the left side in a hard pulling motion.

The link bewteen say, Karate and T'ai Chi Ch'uan was obvious when the Form was practiced.

Bill

3. Guo_Xing_Yi

Guo_Xing_Yi Valued Member

Baji has a lot of different styles, and baji is an art, not the style!

Kaimen is simply a style of the art, for example.

Baji itself (without any stylage) tends to be interpreted as eight or rake fist. It is considered THE first chinese art, and internal, though these days will be arguable as to being external. Its hardcore, deep stanced, and very penetrating, and very very painful, both to the practitioner and the opponent.

It utilises a lot of jings, and is characterised by stomping to induce power. Very effective, and no, you probably wont find an authentic teacher in it unfortunately.

4. Visage

Visage Banned Banned

wow, thanks!
    Some good info there, many thanks. Do you know of any internet resources giving information on various styles of Bajichuan?

Many thanks again!

James J

5. Guo_Xing_Yi

Yes, my teacher has a deep interest in the art, and I was trying to find the site he did on the topic, but I cant remember the URL. :(

Ok its not my teachers site, but a good site none the less.

Has all you need to know about baji, piqua, bagua and others.

www.bajimen.com

Last edited: Jun 12, 2004
  6. Visage

Visage Banned Banned

Many thanks! Superb! :D (big kiss) :love:

7. Guo_Xing_Yi

Easy now!

8. Wanderer

Wanderer Valued Member

Good links.

Xiao Ba Ji or Ba Ji Xiao Jia. You neutralize the opponent and counterattack at the same time.

Da Ba Ji. There are more kao and kua.

It is considered as close range combat. But it also has medium range fighting techniques.

The most potent thing is that Ba Ji attack you high, mid and low at the same time. (San Pan Lien Ji).

There are more info in my books.

You do not have to buy, just ask your local library to get one for you to loan.

Cheers.

9. KRONOS

KRONOS Valued Member

Bajiquan and Pigua Quan

The Journal of Asian Martial Arts had two great articles on Baji. I don't know how easy it is to get back issues though. I've some Baji guys who trained in Taiwan. It is the real deal. It is only recently opening up to the public. All of the Taiwanese secret police are trained in it. The lineage in Taiwan got out of China before the revolution and it may be the most intact nowadays.

10. leke

leke New Member

11. Wanderer

Wanderer Valued Member

Cool links.

:cool:

12. Patrick_baji

Patrick_baji Valued Member

Baji is pretty awesome at the highest levels, go to www.bajimen.com > People > Li Shu Wen
    He is the best :)

13. Mengcunman

Mengcunman Valued Member

i like the close range applications, the elbows and shoulder attacks.

when you practice Baji , you need to be a little aggressive in order to close the gap between you and the opponent.
    But after a while you get the feeling.

Most Baji styles (except the shaolin one) look a like. There are small differences. I noticed that the Wu Branch is a bit more fluid than the one from Li Shu Wen.

the differences in the styles are normal. One of the main rules of Baji is that if you have a 'new' technique, and it has proved itself you may incorporate it in your style.

the practical side of Baji made me a believer.

during my first lesson i was allowed to attack the teacher with everything that i had. I took me 2 seconds to know that this was the stuff for me.

14. Buddy

Buddy Valued Member

15. Wanderer

Wanderer Valued Member

According to the most recent compilation, there are 3 majour branches of Ba Ji or Ba Zi.

1. Meng Cun old frame or soft frame. Lao Jia or Ruan Jia.

2. Luo Tong branch. including Li Shu Wen. They are hard frame.

3. Meng Cun Wu style new frame. There are more stuff included.

here is a link to a Chinese website.

http://www.wushu2008.cn/viewthread.php?tid=10135

Last edited: May 1, 2006
  16. Wanderer

Wanderer Valued Member

here is the link to Wu Lian Zhi new website in Chinese.

www.wsbjq.com

17. Dog Welder

Dog Welder New Member

Last edited: May 2, 2006
  18. Wanderer

Wanderer Valued Member

Cool links;

:)

19. Ronin.74

Ronin.74 New Member

If anybody is interested there is a highly qualified Baji instructor teaching in Columbus Ohio near Ohio State University. He teaches Huo style Baji Quan, I have been studying with him for about 2.5 years. I have only focused on the empty hand aspects of Baji, so far I have learned the following;

Motion sets:
    Jin Gang Ba Shi
    Liu Da Kai
    Ba Da Zhao

Taolu (forms)
    Baji Xiao Jia (Short form)
    Baji Da Jia (Long form)
    Baji Dui Jie (Two man set)

The instructor in Columbus is An Tian Rong and my sources in China tell me that he is a highly respected practioner. His teachers were Huo Dian Ge and Huo Qing Yun. If anybody is in the area and would like more info just post here in the forum and let me know.

20. Azfargh

Azfargh New Member

I noticed one thing about the Baji... the practicioners rarely fall back. They keep de stance from the last attack, parry with the arms and counter.

Is that right?