Bagwork

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by Radok, Apr 6, 2004.

1. Radok

Radok Love myself better than U

I searched manually through like the first 20 pages in the Fitness section, and saw no thread on this. What is your favorite heavybag workout? Like do you go by rounds, reps on a certain technique, or what? I put this in the kickboxing section because they probably do the most bagwork. I am looking for a bag workout to help with sparring. Ideas?

2. Don Davies

Don Davies Valued Member

I find the bag is good for technique but not that great for sparring only more sparring will improve your sparring.

I like doing one punch like a jab for a long time then doing something like a cross for a long time to clean up technique and at the end I will throw combos of any punch or kick.

3. Ghost Frog

Ghost Frog New Member

Same here. I think that's a really good way to do it. I've got a routine of doing a number of rounds (usually about ten), alternating with a friend. We choose a strike or a combination and do that for a minute to build it up. Also, we try to vary speed and power, e.g. heavy hits or light fast stuff. For the last three or four rounds we just do any punch, kick, elbow, etc.

4. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

I normally jab the bag further away to work out the distances and get comfortable jabbing at those distances, then explode into the bag with crosses and hooks, followed by some knee's and clinch work.

5. booj

booj New Member

Bagwork is primarily a means of developing power and stamina. Technique is much better served with pad work and drills with a partner. You can always tell when someones overdone the bagwork, they telegraph their shots so much that in a sparring situation they can't apply the same techniques and land them. The timing is off.

Everything in moderation....

6. semphoon

semphoon walk idiot, walk.

Usually Ill do about about three rounds of 3 mins on the bag.

While its funny to unload on the bag, it is dead equipment.

A floor-to-celing ball is much more "alive". If you can hit the ball when it is in motion, you can hit a guys head.

The ball also makes you move after you punch, cos if you dont it comes right back at cha *WHAM- sore eye