Bagua & Tai Chi in Sydney Australia

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Mad-about-Bagua, Jan 21, 2007.

1. Mad-about-Bagua

Mad-about-Bagua Valued Member

Just like to introduce my teacher. He has 45 years experience in this and will teach practical applications of Tai Chi & Bagua in self defense situations.

Having checked "checked out " all the known Bagua/ Pakua / Baguazhang teachers in Sydney, I chosed Sifu Ho as I was impressed by his deep understanding of Bagua/ Tai Chi mentality and intricate body mechanics.

These styles are highly suited to those who do not have the advantage of youth, size or big muscles, as Internal Martial Arts do not rely on one's strength.

Classes available in Sydney city or Parramatta.

If you have any questions, please post them here.

2. Mad-about-Bagua

What is Chinese Internal Martial Arts ?[/B

This is in reply to the person who PMed me with a question which I feel some other people might have.

Internal Arts generally refer to Bagua / BaguaZhang, Tai Chi and Hsing I /Xing Yi and Liu He Ba Fa.
    Sometimes they are known as the " Soft Arts" or NeiGung.

The main characteristic that distinguishes it from Chinese External Martial Arts ( Shaolin styles) and Shaolin derivatives like Karate, Taekwondo and Muay Thai, lies in the fact IMA focus a lot on developing Qi ( internal energy) as opposed to muscle power. The muscles are kept loose and limber for quicker movements than when muscles are bulging but stiff.
    In fact in IMA we dont even do any pre-class stretching or pushups or any warm ups of any sort. ( Any martial art requiring stretching/ warmups is inherently disadvantaged in a self defence situation....one has no time or opportunity to stretch before getting hit)

The techniques and movements of IMA generally borrow an opponent's force, and employs efficient bio-mechanics , making it possible for an old, weak, smaller or female IMA practioner to deal effectively with an attacker.

The downside is the learning curve for IMA is comparatively longer, and the movements generally are not as flashy and impressive to look at than External Arts. In fact there are very very few high kicks in IMA.

The upside is IMA people tend to live and stay healthier a lot longer ...very few have degenerative diseases like Arthiritis that often plague older External Arts practitioners.

Hope this helps.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2007
  3. fredric

fredric New Member

what would be a effective combination with bagua, as ive heard that is is great from someone who just wants to go at it and swing it out but not great for one who moves around and backsaway, to counter that people take up hsing yi and which is good for larger opponents. what would be another external (eg. hung ga) or internal art that could be just as good to combine as hsing yi, appreciate any replies

4. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

bagua and hsingi are trained together a lot and pretty complimentary.

Also if you find a style of bagua, it might be worth considering the background of who it came from. Cheng style founder was a Chinese wrestler and his bagua reflects that, Yin style founder was a Shaolin Lohan man etc .

Bagua was only taught to experienced Martial artists by the founder Dong Hai Chuan. This tends to pronounce the difference in Bagua systems.

Personally I would recomend Shuai jiao (chinese wrestling) as a compliment to any other kung fu style. If you can combine that with Cheng bagua then rock on baby, that could be pretty sweet training. :)

Last edited: Jan 31, 2008
  5. Punchy

Punchy Purely Practical

Thanks for the info. Where in Sydney can you do Shuai jiao?

6. Mad-about-Bagua

Authentic Bagua and Tai Chi teacher in Sydney

Have a look at my signature:
    Click on classes tab to see schedule

7. Punchy

Punchy Purely Practical

Shuai jiao

Thanks for that. I looked at the classes but it does not seem to say anything about Shuai jiao. Do you teach Shuai jiao (Chinese wrestling)?

8. Mad-about-Bagua

No wrestling. But BaguaZhang has some close quarter combat techniques, anti grapple techniques and is specifically well suited to multiple attackers. Bagua says wrestling is not very safe as it ties you to 1 attacker, making you vulnerable to the others