bags

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by ns_oni, Dec 16, 2003.

1. ns_oni

ns_oni Valued Member

we recently moved house and we now have enough room for a boxing bag, could anyone tell me if they are really worth purchasing? have they helped you at all? thanks :love:

2. Hakko-Ryu

Hakko-Ryu New Member

they've helped me....relieve STRESS when needed!!

3. booksie_girl

booksie_girl Lucy the Terrible

Appart from stress relief :D (which they are very good for) they are also fantastic in that they allow you to practice full power kicks and punches at home in your own. I love mine, and I know my kicks wouldn't be at the level they are at if I din't practice on my bag.

4. Adam

Adam New Member

Be sure to get a good one. I got a 30 kg one when I was 14 and has since become too big to use it satisfactorily :(
    Also make sure that you have somewhere to hang it without it shaking down the walls and raining plaster off the ceiling.

5. Southern Mantis

Southern Mantis New Member

I'm interested in getting one of these but am confused what weight to get. Everyone I see in catalogues seems so light. I have this image of me hitting it and it swinging wildly. What size is recommended for a 6 foot male who weighs 12 stone (my boyfriend needs to use it too).

Thanks

6. inacan

inacan New Member

Yeah I got a 75lb bag and hung it, really does help your kicks. I found that through use, I have greater flexibility and that your form improves because now you hit against something you have to learn to position your body better. Well worth the money!

7. xubis

xubis New Member

I am getting one for xmas hopefully... I am going to have to go in the cold cold garge to use it though :( EVIL PARENTS

8. 5AnimalFu

5AnimalFu New Member

I know when I had my bag up, I'd go out for about 20-30 minutes a night (or until I'd get breakthrough bleeding on my knuckles) and beat on it. My midsection trimmed up very nicely and it really really felt good. I'm trying to find space in my garage to hang it up in my new house. It really helps you find where you're weak and which strikes you're best with. I noticed my left wrist was having trouble holding up to a good straight punch. Worked that bug out though.

9. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

Yup. It is really, really helpful. It enables you to practice full power techniques without restraint, and to build up good levels of conditioning. The thing it is not is a simulation of fighting- it is there for you to practice individual techniques or sequences on. As ads says, buy a nice big one. Nothing more irritating than tictchy bags flying around when you hit them.

10. Qis

Qis Blue Tags WTF

If my garage wasn't full of stuff i'de be in there quicker than you can say ' it's cold out there '
    *dreams of a heavy bag *
    good luck! and have fun!

-Qis

11. Qis

Qis Blue Tags WTF

2 simu-posts in one day! i'm on a roll!

-Qis

12. Jointlock

Jointlock Valued Member

Have you ever looked into a free standing one that you can fill with sand. I have one that I interchange with a BOB torso and I love, I can move it to the middle of the room and then put it back in the corner, with no chains or having to worry about if the supports are going to hold. I love the BOB the most because I can work more on targeting, and it is easier to visualize the opponent for me.

Does any one have any other Pros and Cons to using a hanging bag or using a free standing one?

13. inacan

inacan New Member

Well since mine is out in the uninsoltated garage and in Canadian winter, I went with hanging. Standing bags are ok, but the temperature would definetly crack the plastic those suckers are made from and wreck in in no time. That and if your tall, a standing bag is a bit more of a pain.

If it's going outside in a uninsolated place, I highly recommend a hanging bag, but inside, you can go with a free standing if you want.

14. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

i've got a hanging one and i love it.

have u so far used a punching bag? do u incorporate it in ur training? if u'll use it only 2 times a month then it isn't a good idea.

15. Jointlock

Jointlock Valued Member

It would crack the plastic even if you just filled it with sand? I've had mine out in my uninsulated garage for 2 years and it hasn't cracked yet. I'm not sure if Nebraskan winters really compare to Canadian winters though. I can understand about the being tall part with it's center of gravity being so low.

Anyone else like the BOB torso better than a round bag?

16. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

17. Combatant

Combatant Monsiour Fitness himself.

Only just recently got access to the 6 foot bag ive had in my garage for ages but don't have room to kick. That said my punches and stanmina are really improving.

18. -Pyro-

-Pyro- New Member

Bags are very helpful and can be great stress relievers. If you do get one make sure you buy hand wraps, and a good pair of gloves. Learn to wrap your hands right, otherwise you'll be in a lot of pain.

19. Trent Tiemeyer

Trent Tiemeyer Valued Member

I have both, and definitely prefer the hanging bag over the free-standing bag. You can dig in and really bang on the hanging bag, when I hit the free bag it's like it isn't even there.

I doubt you get the same bone density building and conditioning with the free bag. My hanging bag has the water core, and feels like a heavy bag should.

20. ns_oni

ns_oni Valued Member

thanks, i think i'll look around for one soon