Back in the ring (snigger)

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by Master Betty, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Master Betty

Master Betty Banned Banned

Hey guys I know I've not been on in a short while but I've went through a few things and have since split up with my girlfriend, moved out and am now living once again in sunny Scotland.

I've started training again and have been finding it rather difficult but fun. When i first moved to germany a year ago I was 68kg. When I came back about 2 weeks ago i was 80kg. That's what a year of good food and being the coach instead of the fighter will do to you.

however, I'm now back training, as i said, and my coach has informed me that he's trying to match me for a fight on the 8th of October... at 65kg!

Basically, I was gonna use this thread as a sort of blog as I think the detail I'll show regarding diet, roadwork, training, dealing with injuries etc. might be useful for people wanting to see how to go about training for a fight.

As I said, I will be going (hopefully) from a completely unfit 80kg to hopefully a ripped up lean machine at 67/68 and will lose the last few kg in water before the weigh in.

Lemme know what you guys think.

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I like the idea, so good luck with the training and keep us posted.

It may be worth checking with a MOD to see if the journals link is working. The alternative would be to start a blog and post a link.

Edit. The journals section is currently offline.

I think we should have a Rocky style video diary.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  3. Master Betty

Will do. I'll even upload body pics lol.

4. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

It could act as good motivator.

5. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

65 is my weight class so if you want a **** easy comeback fight ;)

Sounds like a good idea for a thread, good luck with it.

6. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Props as they say in the 'hood.
    Should be an interesting read.

7. slickoneuk

slickoneuk Member Supporter

Good stuff! Hope all goes well.

8. Axelator

Axelator Not called Alex.

Good luck mate.

9. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Sounds good MB, looking forward to reading about your training.

10. g.mcg

g.mcg Valued Member

nice to see your back in scotland

what club you in

thats a great idea keep it updated

11. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Great idea for a thread and good luck MB! I'd like to hear/see details of training sessions so those of us outside MT know what sort of stuff you're doing you're doing, so a blog type thread is a great idea.

I think you've fought before but don't know details, what fight number is this/what's your record?

It'd be intersting to know if there's anything particular you want to work on and how you go about it? Plus how far in advance will you know your opponent and how much do you train for them rather than a generic fight if you see what I mean?

Props for the thread and hope the training/fight go well.

Mitch

12. Master Betty

its sit ayuthaya mate, but i'll be training at carluke thai boxing and larkhall as well! The show my coach is tryin to match me on is the Kombat one!

13. Master Betty

This would be fight number 4 mate!

Typically speaking I'm not too worried about finding out who the opponent is - its usually too difficult at my level to find out much about your opponent anyways - much easier at the higher levels.

I was once training to fight someone from a gym that typically produces fighters with strong heavy boxing but can't really do anything else at all so I spent the full 8 weeks training push kicks and clinching all centered off a boxing defense. the fight didn't go ahead unfortunately as he pulled out which upset me lol. I don't like the guy and I'd have loved to have smashed him.

14. Master Betty

OK, so that's my internet properly sorted and I can post every day or so now. I'll give ya'll a quick update on everything I've done this week so far as well as try to upload an out of shape body pic later.

Diet wise, I completely changed my diet first thing on monday morning. I have cut out anything with processed sugars or hydrogenated fats as well as any food that is simply very high energy. At the moment I'm alternating breakfast between porridge sweetened with a bit of honey or Jordan's muesli as it's very high fruit but zero added sugar. Unfortunately due to work I'm not making breakfast half of the time so I dont get anything to eat until later in the day when I'll have a cup of tea and a couple of wholegrain bread sandwiches with sunflower spread and ham for lunch. Not the best but it's all I can do until I get my first paycheck! At dinner I'm usually making sure I'm getting my protein and veg fix with things along the lines of chicken breast, turkey, lean fillet steaks etc. usually made with potatoes carrots peppers etc. I have a huge sweet tooth and love hot chocolate. Now that's out of the question but a drink i got used to in germany is hot milk with a little honey in it which i'm drinking every once in a while when I feel the sweet tooth urge. I'm using 0.3% fat milk for this naturally. At the moment the diet is largely a good mix between grains, fruit, vegetables and lean meats which means I'm getting a fair helping each of natural sugars, carbs and proteins. About 4 weeks close to the fight I'll switch to a mainly protein diet hopefully if I can stomach it.

Training wise I've been finding it difficult for a number of reasons but I am determined. I'm training every evening during the week, having a day off on saturday and training on sunday morning. No roadwork as yet but will start running next week once the initial start up pangs have eased a little.

Training has consisted so far of basic padwork but focusing on movement rather than power or technique. The goal is to make sure that if I'm not hitting something then I'm moving at all times. a really simple drill that many people train but they usually don't ACTUALLY drill it every night for a sustained period of time. Sparring has also followed this format with the typical round enforcing the rule that at all times I should be either hitting, being hit or moving. No pauses to watch the opponent etc. I know that this is the thai style normally, but fighters in my gym dont have problems with that kind of fight - they have problems with fit aggressive fighters hence the training. Circuits have been different every single night alternating between a basic hardstyle kettlebell swing session through heavy aerobic circuits using a lot of movement to old school plain pushups, burpees, situp type circuits. My current favourite is setting the timer to beep every fifteen seconds for 2 minute rounds and doing 5 of them with a 15 second break. Every round I will give three exercises focusing on different muscle groups usually along the basic upper body/ lower body/ core type format and people just cycle through those 3 exercises for the full round. The aim is to push yourself as hard as you can on each exercise then change immediately to the next. When it's 30 seconds, too many people pace themselves and then the muscle fatigues 20- 25 seconds into the exercise meaning that the heart and lungs get a few seconds rest I dont want them to get. 15 seconds means the have to blast each exercise as hard and as fast as they possibly can and usually the muscle fatigues just before the change. This means that every muscle is getting stressed every time it's exercised as well as having the heart and breathing rate at a constant high instead of peaks and troughs.

Not much injury wise to tell. Been to hospital for an x-ray of my hip as I'm having pain and stiffness issues there, think the muscle is probably inflamed. Stubbed my big toe on someones elbow lol. Doesn't sound like much, but little things like that are the kind of injuries you have to watch out for as a broken toe will stop me fighting just the same as a broken ankle.

I know it's all rather vague at the moment but I'm trying to give you the full last 5 days run down in one post. Any questions just ask away!

15. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Looks like a pretty solid approach to me. Agree a lot on the pad work, when the younger kids I work with stand still I like to swat them with the pad to keep them honest. At first you can see them get really frustrated, then they realize they need to move their behinds and they won't get swatted.

What do your swings sessions look like? Interested in seeing what kind of kettlebell circuits you take part in, as that's something I've been toying with a lot of lately.

16. g.mcg

g.mcg Valued Member

Who you fighting as you know that's where i train lol

ill look forward to it and give me a shout bud

17. WushuTiger

WushuTiger Valued Member

I like the effort you're putting into this. Hopefully, you'll win your fight by KO.

18. Master Betty

Dunno yet mate - i know my coach has asked jason to find a match. It doesn't necessarily mean I'll be fighting someone from your gym though :)

19. g.mcg

g.mcg Valued Member

should would be good

20. Master Betty

Depends mate, since I'm usually using them at the end of training I don't go for a full swing session obviously as I simply dont have the energy but I'm typically looking at about 10 - 15 minutes for a circuit with em. Some nights I'll focus on hard style and use only maybe 3 or 4 different exercises, other nights I'll use them more like a medicine ball and do about 10 different exercises etc.