AxelB's running, lifting and kicking log

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by axelb, Sep 26, 2017.

1. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

I thought I had one on here years back, but I couldn't find it - so starting all over again.

Recently been ill (again) so easing back into it. It's been a bad last year for my health/asthma so my performance has been bad this year - taking a step back and making sure I get back up to standard without further set backs.

This year PB's low bar squat 155kg x2, Deadlift 182.5kgx1, Bench 102.5x3
    10k 49min48s 5km 24min 7s

Starting back in kickboxing classes this year for the first time in 8years just once a week, amongst that I have a few 5k/10k races I'll focus for, and plenty of weightlifting.

I probably won't update this on every session - hoping that it will keep me on track with my plans.

Last week

Tuesday Bench 50x5,60x3,70x2, 1 AMRAP 77.5x13 -
    Wednesday 3.5 mile run - 20mins stetching/side splits
    Thursday 1 hour kickboxing - pad work, lots of kick work drills, felt better than last week.
    Friday 20mins stetching/side splits
    Saturday Bench 72.5x8 for 4 sets, AMRAP 7.5x13
    Felt run down again Sunday, so nothing and light on Monday
    Monday High bar squat 50x8,60x5,70x8 3x10 lunges with 20k - 10mins stetching/side splits
    Today - low HR run 3.6 mile at 60% max HR - 30 min stetching/side splits

The rest of the week I plan Deadlift session, another run 4-5 mile at 60-70% as Kickboxing was cancelled I'll probably get some bag work in.

In general I feel I need to drop down either lifting or running to get more progress on each - in the past I've cycled each, so over autumn/winter I focus on lifting, and spring/summer is running which has worked until last year I was hit really bad with illness and progress for both has been poor.

Knee Rider and Nachi like this.
  2. axelb

Cold symptoms came back, so not over the illness, rested Wednesday, extra asthma meds taken.
    Thursday felt better - A slow low HR 5km run 35mins. Was hoping to go bag work today but I need to rest for at least another day. :(

3. axelb

Feeling marginally better. So 15 minutes of bag work, punching combinations only 90 second round with 25 second rest.
    Keeping HR under 140 bpm during was quite difficult, a couple of 80% speed jab,cross, uppercuts would it it, so I kept it very technical with minimal bouncing on the feet.

4. axelb

Saturday;
    Bench focused workout.
    50kgx8,60x8,70x3,80x3
    2 sets 80kgx8
    80kg AMRAP managed 9, failed on 10- glad to have the rack spotters set up.

Assistance;
    Row 60kg, x6,8,8, curl 3 sets 25kgx10
    3x10 push ups

15 mins side splits stretching.

5. axelb

Sunday 1 hour or rehab work - trigger point roller and massage.
    Monday - 4 mile slow run, followed by 20mins stretching (side splits focused).

6. axelb

Tuesday; Deadlift day, long overdue as I rested from illness.
    warmup for 10 reps; 60kg, 80kg, 100kg.
    working 8 reps for 4 sets; 112.5
    AMRAP 112.5kg went to 13.
    Bent row; 60kg 5x5

20minutes side splits stretching.

Finished with an ice bath :eek:

Average weight this week 86kg

7. axelb

Wednesday

Feeling sore from deadlifts so expecting today's planned run to drag, but turned out just fine.
    5km slow run with HR at 60% max
    15 minutes double end bag work rounds of 90s, with 25s rest. Still keeping HR under 60% max.

8. axelb

Thursday

Felt sore from deadlifts still, so an ice bath which sorted it out.
    1 hour kickboxing. Working drills, pad work and sparring.

9. axelb

Friday

Low tempo run keeping the HR about 60% max for 6.7 miles.
    Finished with an ice bath.

1 hour light training in family class with daughter;
    Drills, pad work and light sparring.

10. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

You are crazy with all these ice baths! Though it is probably good for you if you can do it. Do you feel better after that?

axelb likes this.
  11. axelb

It usually takes the edge of any DOMS.
    It also wakes me up a bit when I'm feeling lagged after a lift or run.

12. Nachi

I suppose that wakes you up after anything :D That sounds nice. The only temperature-related thing I've done after trainings was a sauna :D I did hear it is not very healthy and I would come out feeling very sluggish if it was after a harder training, but it felt nice, too. And I think I never really had DOMS after that, either. I am trying to start living a bit more healthier, but... ice baths are just way too much.
    So hats down to you for that! :)

axelb likes this.
  13. axelb

I always get bad DOMS when starting back, this week has been painful, so it helped get through.
    Resting for Sunday, and if I feel alright I may bench later today.

14. axelb

Saturday

feeling strong so I went with the scheduled bench session.

warm-up sets 8reps 20kg, 40kg, 50.
    working sets:
    60kg x5, 70kg x5, 80kg x3, 85kgx1
    90kg AMRAP managed 6 without failures.
    80x5, 70x5, 60x5.

assistance:
    barbell bent row
    60kg x8, x9, x10
    curls 20kg 2sets x12
    pushups 2x10.

Sunday
    rest

15. axelb

Monday

Asthma symptoms raised, so cancelled the planned 4-5 mile run :(

Tuesday
    Feeling better, but still some asthma symptoms, so a slightly easier version of my planned deadlifts.

Deadlifts:
    Warm-up; 60x5, 60x8,80x8, 100x5, 115kgx3.
    Working sets.
    125kg x8 for 3 sets. Didn't do AMRAP due to asthma.
    High bar squat.
    20kgx8,40x8,60x5,70x5.
    Barbell lunge.
    20kg 3x10

10 minutes stretching.

16. Nachi

Oh, you have asthma? :( What a nuisance. Hopefully you are fine most of the time. How did the symptoms come? Out of nothing?

axelb likes this.
  17. axelb

It's mostly under control; it means I need to take my training down 80% of what I would deem normal effort most of the time.
    Symptoms this week were the usual; starts with a cough in the morning, often productive, peak flow drops, and I ache in places that haven't been worked out.
    Cutting largely down or out of training usually helps it recover with extra asthma meds.

It's very frustrating because it will likely happen when I'm making good progress and pushing myself, so I mostly need to swallow my "training ego" and accept that I won't progress at a normal rate.

18. axelb

Wednesday

3.3 mile run in 34 mins, sore from yesterday's workout, sticking to the slow runs, and reduced the mileage this week until health balances out.
    10 mins stretch, followed by ice bath.

19. Nachi

Wow, and this just happens in the morning out of nowhere? That sound like a real pain when you feel like exercising, but can't :( Hopefully these symptoms don't last too long.

axelb likes this.
  20. axelb

It's often masked by my morning adrenalin burst from being woken abruptly by children ;)
    I usually know by about 10am when the symptom's peak.

Thursday
    1 hour Kickboxing. Plenty of drills and pad work. Power work on the kick shields, which is great after a stressful working week. :D

Nachi likes this.